Koko Head Crater Trail

Koko Head Crater Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This is a steep climb to the top of Koko Head Crater with spectacular panoramic views of the east Honolulu shoreline. The 1000 plus step-like walking track consists of abandoned railroad ties that run along the crater's west side to the top of Koko Crater. The military used them previously during World War II as part of an incline tram to transport supplies to a lookout post at the summit. A short drive from Diamond Head and Waikiki, this popular hiking trail can be accessed at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. This is a great workout with a beautiful view at the summit - don't forget to bring water! Visitors might also be interested in the Koko Crater Botanical Garden at the top of the crater.

Easy hike but during the rainy could be hard. Be careful! Great view at the top!!!

Great hike. Great workout. Took me about 50 minutes to get to top. But I do reccomend taking your time and being safe, especially since this is usually a crowded hike. Good shoes are a must. Don't go during or after it rain. Be extra safe going down. Parking lot is a decent size. Amazing view at the top. Absolutely worth it.

it was a great trail. a little sketchy in places but a great challenge!! it was a little muddy the day we went.

My favourite hike I did it Hawaii!
The walk up was amazing. Stairs, stairs and more stairs! Wouldn’t recommend to anyone who is not usually active.
Views from the top were out of this world. A slice of heaven!
The walk down was by far much harder than the hike up, the sleepers were slippery and it’s veryyyy step! Good shoes is a must!

Hard climb, beautiful view at the top.

STAIR CLIMBER 3000. Lol.

This is one of my favourite hike in Oahu. Did it this morning took us about an hour out and back. It’s a short intense hike. For beginners take your time, views are beautiful as you go up, catch your breath and keep going. Views are incredible on top. Might do it one more time before we leave.

This was one of my favorite hikes in Hawaii Kai - the view from the top was absolutely breathtaking! The stairs were difficult, and I was definitely winded at the end, but the trek was well worth it! I met some really cool people and got to enjoy the sunset from the top of Koko Head. I highly recommend this hike! You won't regret it. Mahalo!

Great workout!

Insane

Insane. One direction.

It's a leg burner hike but it was fun the view is fantastic.

It's a great workout. Beautiful views at the top. Don't recommend doing it mid day like we did.

A must do if you love hiking destinations. Requires some stamina and balance at particular points. The reward is 360 degree eye candy!

Went up around 330p on Saturday. Breeze was strong and helped stay cool from the heat and sun during the hike. Well worth the hike for the view at the top.

Tough hike with no great spots to take a rest but totally worth it!

Tough hike, especially on a hot sunny day, but 100% worth it!! Beautiful views. Pictures hardly do it justice. Take breaks and lots of water and a snack for at the top. Took us 45mins each way, spent about that same time at the top.

Challenging steep uphill hike, but super rewarding once you reach the top!

This is a very challenging hike but completely worth the sore legs after. The views are incredible; pictures just don’t do it justice. It is a high traffic area but is dog friendly. I saw people carrying infants in baby carriers, although they had to be in great shape. I had more difficulty coming down than getting up because my legs were so tired. Start early, bring a hat and plenty of water.

It was so hard to climb, but the scenery at the top is wonderful enough to make you forget all about it. Especially the sunset from the top is really the best.

very difficult but a good workout

Completed this hike 3 days ago with my mom! So proud of us.

Love this hike.

I first reached the summit with my wife on our wedding anniversary.

I did it on New Year's day with my friend and my son. We only went halfway.

This past Saturday i did it with my friends and we tried to be there at Sunrise! Well worth it

Steep climb on an old train track. Great workout with very rewarding views

Awesome views! Some slippery spots, wear your climbing shoes/boots!

Amazing view at the top! It’s a steep climb! Enjoy!

Went right after Christmas cause my friend said there was a Christmas tree up there. Finally made it up the damn stairs and sure enough, there was a Christmas tree. The trail up is hard but manageable, some of the steps where there are no rails are almost half my height (im short so yes its possible) and where very hard climbing over. There are alot of people closer to the afternoon so it will get crowded and not everyone is nice for those that go slower. But the view.... wow the views are so worth it. The way down, made it beyond HARD though. I hope in the future they do what Colorado did for their incline and add a separate trail for those going down so they don't have to crowd the narrow rails anymore. All in all, loved the view but not enough to do this again unless tricked into it lol