Koko Head Crater Trail

HARD 1,275 reviews

Koko Head Crater Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This is a steep climb to the top of Koko Head Crater with spectacular panoramic views of the east Honolulu shoreline. The 1000 plus step-like walking track consists of abandoned railroad ties that run along the crater's west side to the top of Koko Crater. The military used them previously during World War II as part of an incline tram to transport supplies to a lookout post at the summit. A short drive from Diamond Head and Waikiki, this popular hiking trail can be accessed at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. This is a great workout with a beautiful view at the summit - don't forget to bring water! Visitors might also be interested in the Koko Crater Botanical Garden at the top of the crater.

This was a steep and difficult hike, but well worth all the sweat to enjoy the panoramic views of Oahu. Bring water and stop for breaks when necessary. An alternate to crossing the bridge is to take the path to the right. Going down was less strenuous but still tricky. Slow and steady is my advice.

Woke up early to get to the top by sunrise, and it did NOT disappoint! Absolutely freaking gorgeous! My biggest hike I’ve ever done...for a beginner, it took me 40 minutes. Take your time, there’s one spot where it’s like a bridge.

I did this hike a couple of months ago and coming back down was a little spooky for me. I will definitely be doing this one again! Take your time you'll be fine.

The climb was rough as hell, but the view at the top was pretty epic. That was a one and done hike.

Toughest hike I’ve ever done but so worth it once you reach the top

As billed. 1000 ft up, 1000 plus steps. Bring good shoes, water and sunscreen.

Great trail if you enjoy a challenge. Talk about straight up! We enjoyed the challenge and the views at the top and along the way.

Great hike, steep in spots and crowded. Bring water!

The climb was steep at times and the trail was busy but the view at the top was worth it

According to alltrails logged recordings, the number one most recorded is Koko Crater stairs at 992.
2. Diamond ‘Leahi’ Head- 880
7. Makapu’u Point Lighthouse- 550
8. Maunawili Falls - 502
9. Kaiwa Pillbox - 500
10. Waimano Falls- 405

challenging climb up, but a great workout! BEAUTIFUL view at the top!

Excellent views and hike. Go at your own pace to reach the top. Very strenuous, but well worth it. Steps are so steep at the top I used them like a ladder, grabbing onto the rails and used rail ties as the steps!

Feeling super accomplished after this strenuous hike! The views are worth it!

Very hard trail. The stairs seem never ending and there is a part where the steps are pretty high off the ground. If you want to really challenge yourself, I’d recommend this hike.

Difficult - but worth every step!

tough hike but great views from the top.

Great views! Tough “workout” hike. Can be VERY dangerous. Witnessed someone fall down about 6meters for not taking enough care.

your legs will be on fire after this hike..alot if foot traffic..going down can be just as challenging as going up

This hike is a great workout! It’s daunting, high, challenging and super scary at times. There’s a part on the stairs where the ground is really low, so if you trip you’ll fall in. That was very mentally scary for me so I was on my butt and using my hands and knees to get up there. The view from the top is great! What makes this hike the best is all the people on it who motivate you and keep pushing you. I think it’s worth it! If I lived here, I would definitely try to do this hike once a week because it’s such a good workout.

Great leg workout ! Very busy! once you reach the top it is extremely rewarding !

Great cardiovascular workout

I thought this was a great hike. There were a lot of people on the trail. I don’t think this should be rated as hard but I am not an experienced hiker. It is steep but very straight forward and a lot of people to provide motivation. I highly recommend it if you are on Oahu.

COOL TRAIL BRING SOME GUAVA WITH YOU HAHA

GOD BLESS

Challenging, working all parts of the body with balance and strength plus lots of inspiration a long the way with all walks of life reaching for the top-a stunning 360 degree view of water, city and lush hills. I wimped out over the bridge this time, (even though it was dry and not raining) choosing the detour and avoiding the “40 ft drop” view below the open rail road ties...But I did climb it in 20 minutes, 28 secs. Not bad for an old gal at 60.

Great hike! It will definitely test your hiking ability but the view is worth it. The only part I disliked was the bridge.

This was one of my favorite hikes to do in Oahu. It’s definitely a workout and I was drenched by the end of it but worth the views. Go early as it does get crowded.

Super steep!! Slightly sketchy over the bridge.. But so worth it for that view

Awesome trail. Got caught in the rain. Great overall experience

Good workout and very regarding view! Make sure you hydrate beforehand

Awesome hike. Awesome view. Pretty difficult climb if you aren't in decent shape.