Koko Head Crater Trail

Koko Head Crater Trail is a 2.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2.9 km
302 m

This is a steep climb to the top of Koko Head Crater with spectacular panoramic views of the east Honolulu shoreline. The 1000 plus step-like walking track consists of abandoned railroad ties that run along the crater's west side to the top of Koko Crater. The military used them previously during World War II as part of an incline tram to transport supplies to a lookout post at the summit. A short drive from Diamond Head and Waikiki, this popular hiking trail can be accessed at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. This is a great workout with a beautiful view at the summit - don't forget to bring water! Visitors might also be interested in the Koko Crater Botanical Garden at the top of the crater.

very difficult but a good workout

Completed this hike 3 days ago with my mom! So proud of us.

Love this hike.

I first reached the summit with my wife on our wedding anniversary.

I did it on New Year's day with my friend and my son. We only went halfway.

This past Saturday i did it with my friends and we tried to be there at Sunrise! Well worth it

Steep climb on an old train track. Great workout with very rewarding views

Awesome views! Some slippery spots, wear your climbing shoes/boots!

Amazing view at the top! It’s a steep climb! Enjoy!

Went right after Christmas cause my friend said there was a Christmas tree up there. Finally made it up the damn stairs and sure enough, there was a Christmas tree. The trail up is hard but manageable, some of the steps where there are no rails are almost half my height (im short so yes its possible) and where very hard climbing over. There are alot of people closer to the afternoon so it will get crowded and not everyone is nice for those that go slower. But the view.... wow the views are so worth it. The way down, made it beyond HARD though. I hope in the future they do what Colorado did for their incline and add a separate trail for those going down so they don't have to crowd the narrow rails anymore. All in all, loved the view but not enough to do this again unless tricked into it lol

The hike is really hard and sometimes dangerous, but it’s so worth it! It gets very crowded byt the afternoon so it’s better to go in the morning.

Just finished it! Amazing!!

Pretty difficult considering it’s constant incline/stair style hike. Amazing views, very rewarding.. No matter how intimidating it may look you will be very happy you accomplished this one!

Excellent views of the city and Bay Area. The trek down is hard on the knees but otherwise completely worth it. Time yourself going up to beat your record later! Best times to see the crater would be in the morning. During the afternoon (we got up around 3:30 today) the sun is directly overtop the crater and it doesn’t bode well for pictures. Deff recommend tho!

LOVED THIS CLIMB! We went before sunrise and climbed about half in the dark- so worth it although a head lamp and camel bak would have come in super handy to stay hands free. Definitely not for the faint of heart tho! I am in pretty good shape and stopped a number of times on the way up to catch my breath. There is also a ‘bridge’ that tested my fear of heights... wide spaces with nothing below.
However the sunrise view at the top was SPECTACULAR! And after a small rain/ wind storm we were lucky enough to see a full double rainbow on the way down.
If you have the drive to make it DO IT!

Tough trail. Amazing views from the top. Did this trail with 4 & 5 year old boys and twins in packs. The kids did well, just be sure you have an adult per child, some difficult spots they will need help. Bring lots of water!

Awesome view from the top. There is steep and scared place but can be slowly down to the bottom. Anyways really beautiful.

Excellent views and hike. Go at your own pace to reach the top. Very strenuous, but well worth it. Steps are so steep at the top I used them like a ladder, grabbing onto the rails and used rail ties as the steps!

Incredible views! So worth it!

Saw lots of people, all shapes and sizes doing this. Yes it's hard, you will probably stop multiple times if not in shape but the top is beautiful and we had a nice breeze up there to cool us down. Yield to the people coming down on your way up, you will realize that they lack steady legs when you come back down. We had a light rain on our way to the trail head but the trail itself was better than most.

One hell of a workout

WARNING: this hike is not for the faint of heart. All those with knee or back problems be warned.

The Kokohead Crater Trail gets five stars in my opinion for its uniqueness (the entire trail is up a broken railway track), view (there is a view of the city, the crater of Haunama Bay, and the ocean towards the top), and just for the fact it gives you a workout!!!

The hike consists of a lot of stepping from wood plank to wood plank and having to grip the railway to not fall down the hill.

Waaay better than stair master. Going up is one thing, getting down is another. Took about 1.5 hrs going up and down at a slow pace. Thunder shower when we were almost at the bottom which made it even more fun.

Great workout. 1000+ stairs with no shade. I've been for both sunrise and sunset and enjoyed both tremendously. Either way, prepare to be sore the next day. I would say plan for at least 30 minutes up. I'm in decent shape and can do it in around 20.

I’ve been doing the stair master at the gym for months, otherwise I’m not sure i would have done so well on this hike! Not for those with bad knees, but if you want a good workout with beautiful views then this is a good one!

Great view at the top. Not so hard when taking regular breaks. A small part of the track is a bit high above the ground but you can get around with another track on the side.

Great workout, steep, but very doable. Been seeing more kids on the stairs

We hiked the trail with our three kids. Our youngest made it and she is only 6 years. It was demanding but so beautiful.

Awesome view from the top of the crater. Well worth it when you get to the top.

Not for beginners.
views are stunning, but the incline and uneven nature of the steps makes this one a challenge for me at 6'2", and shorter probably would have more challenge in the climb on everything but the last assault.

Tough but so much worth it...
Failed the first attempt. Came back earlier in the morning with enough water, and reached the top in 20-25 minutes. Amazing friendly atmosphere and stunning panoramic view at the end.

Amazing

Definitely a more moderate hike than hard. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a lot of stairs, most of which you’re lunging up rather than stepping, but it’s not super difficult if you take your time and don’t try to break speed records. I definitely recommend this for a morning hike, not only because sunrise is beautiful, but also because you can’t see the top before you begin, and that’s the most discouraging part. Start thirty minutes before you think you’ll need to so you have ample time at the top before the sun crests. Bring a flashlight. The bridge was the worst part for me. I stopped a few steps in and anxiety and fear took over, because those ties don’t look the most supportive. After I took that next step, though, it was great! If you don’t feel like you’re going to reach the top, take another ten steps. Then pause for a few, then another ten steps. Then pause and go again. Take it slow. I made it up in 35 minutes! It’s not bad! Going down, I definitely utilized the butt scoot. Totally not ashamed.