Koko Crater Trail

Koko Crater Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This is a steep climb to the top of Koko Head Crater with spectacular panoramic views of the east Honolulu shoreline. The 1000 plus step-like walking track consists of abandoned railroad ties that run along the crater's west side to the top of Koko Crater. The military used them previously during World War II as part of an incline tram to transport supplies to a lookout post at the summit. A short drive from Diamond Head and Waikiki, this popular hiking trail can be accessed at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. This is a great workout with a beautiful view at the summit -don't forget to bring water! Visitors might also be interested in the Koko Crater Botanical Garden at the top of the crater.

4 minutes ago

Nice trail. Going down is harder than going up for me. There’s no actual steps per se, just using the old railroad track as a stair/steps. There’s a gap with using railroad track as a bridge,hold me up a little longer.

Very difficult hike to the top. Be sure to pack ample water. Views are great at the top though!

Great hike with great views of the island. Bring lots of water. Did the hike at 1 pm and was extremely warm. Leave a note up at the very top in the lock box with the provided paper and pen.

I honestly was ready to throw in the towel midpoint but I had great people with me to motivate me to continue. it was worth it. the view was amazing.

Hard but rewarding

Hiked this last weekend around 1pm. I'm an easy level hiker and definitely not used to having the entire hike as a set of steep stairs. Other hikers are extremely considerate and allow you to pass or move over to the side to take a rest. The view from the top is amazing so it's worth the effort. Make sure your shoes have enough grip on the bottom. I made the mistake of wearing cheap shoes so I wouldn't get red dirt on my expensive athletic shoes. Huge mistake. The wooden stairs are smoothed out from how much traffic the trail gets so they are extremely slippery. Having the wrong shoes will slow you down tremendously. I'll definitely do this hike over and over and try to beat my time. It's a great workout.