Koko Crater Botanic Garden

Koko Crater Botanic Garden is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Waimanalo, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Challenging trail not for the feint of heart. It has many narrow segments, steep climbs and steep drop-offs. Not to mention no shade. Be sure to bring lots of water, wear pants and gloves would be helpful too. Koko Crater is a remnant tuff cone on the south east side of Oahu. Within the crater houses the Koko Crater Botanical Gardens. On the outside south flank of the crater is the highest point accessible via an old abandoned rail line. This rail line trail is very popular and crowded. The rim trail on the other hand is less traversed and fit only for those who are not afraid of heights. The views from here span the south shores from Sandy Beach to Makapuu Wayside's Pele's Chair. It also provide good views of the Koolau Mountains. On a clear day you can see the towers on Kamehame Ridge, all the way to Pu'u O Kona.

Nice to see very easy, march 2016. Only issue was the park itself doesn't have a very easy trail to follow with regards to the map. Otherwise it was nice way to spend part of the afternoon.

From the front of some very beautiful plumeria, move on the 2 mile circle through dead trees and dry dead brush, to a palm marked as a pine onto uneven and unsafe large stone walking path with sand to fill the scraps as you stumble and fall. Great trail for the imagination - you can only imagine getting off the trail and leaving. Don't waste your time here.

Nice! All flowers are full blooming!! Go early morning!

It seems to starting the best time to hike there!

Nice easy hike with the family. The plumeria grove wasn't in full bloom yet, but I've been told it is amazing when it is.

It is not green green time,but very comfortable to walk there.

We really wanted to do the stairs up then go to the right around the crater rim and back up the west side of the rim. Once we got to the end of the right rim, the trail just kind of ends and you gotta kinda bushwack and slide yourself down to the botanical gardens. We looked everywhere for an access point up into the west rim and couldn't find it. We even tried to walk out of the garden to the beginning of the rim but it was all overgrown with no trails. If anyone knows how to get up west rim let us know! Next time we're just going to stage a car at the botanical gardens, go up stairs and go left to figure out the west rim. Such beautiful views. Some bouldering of course, but you can manage to go around the sketchy parts if needed. Windy and hot. Don't bring a dog it gets super tight up there on the rim so watch your step and avoid any rain. Between us two, three liters of water almost didn't cut it.

Friday, October 14, 2016

No much blooming now,but nice to work without heat.

Monday, August 29, 2016

By the right side of entrance,there is a post box and you will see the information paper inside.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

It's not much hot!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Easy, but really hot

Sunday, July 10, 2016

I hiked here for the first time in a month.
It was quite different with a month ago,because there were not seen many bloomed flowers. Maybe too hot!!!

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Best Botanical Garden I've been to yet!!!!!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

It was fun to see unique plants and flowers. I also saw animals and heard the sound of birds.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Great hike! Nice alternative for Haiku Stairs. Bring enough water en sunscreen, because there is no shade on this trail.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Amazing views, totally worth it! We staged one car at the Botanical Gardens (as recommended by All Trails users) and started with the stairs. WHAT A CLIMB!!! Make sure you have sunblock and water! Be careful, people do get hurt even at the top. Be mindful of folks coming up or going down the stairs. The Rim trail isn't well maintained but doable: has overgrowth and cactus but keep your eyes peeled to make sure you follow the slim path. Wear long socks or leg sleeves if you want extra protection from the sticks and pricks that stick out but that's completely option (I was fine with shorts). There are some slippery parts because of loose sand and rocks but the slim trees lining the path were helpful. Towards the end there's loose sand so sideway step are pretty much the only choice. Seriously Moderate-difficult hike but totally rewarding!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

I did the complete Koko Crater rim, counterclockwise. My route: Up the Koko Crater Railway stairs, turn right to go around the East rim. Descended down the rim into botanical garden, crossed the road, and went up the West rim, all the way back up to the top, and down the railway stairs.

It took a total of about 5hrs, with many things that slowed us down. There were several times on the West rim when I lost the trail and had to back track to find a navigable path. Also, it took 30-45 minutes just to find the trail from the botanical garden up the West rim. Another factor, the trail was extremely overgrown in some parts, requiring frequent pauses to figure out where it went. The brush would often be covering up cacti, which there was A LOT of. I got stuck multiple times. I could see this taking closer to 3.5-4 hours at a steady pace.

I love scrambling, climbing, narrow ridges, challenging rock faces.. but in my opinion, this was tough! The East rim? A cake walk. But if you're going to take on the West, go with someone, and someone who knows it. There were actually a few spots that made me worry I might have to turn back. Not only are there a bunch of very narrow sections, but some steep, vertigo-inducing scrambles that require strategy, and careful movements.

I brought my 32 oz Nalgiene bottle. I shoulda brought two! Luckily, I was able to refill in the botanical gardens at a water spigot.

Other options
You can get to the crater rim by way of the stairs, the Koko Crater Arch trail, or the botanical gardens. So you could stage a car at any one of those places, go up from another, and down back to the stage car. I'd guess going up the stairs, down the East rim and into the gardens would take most people under two hours, probably under 1.5 without overgrown brush like we had.
IG @niiimz_

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Good trail for a run or peaceful stroll. Easy rolling hills and lots of shade. Still no facilities and toilet was not access able. Bring water.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Maybe I went at the wrong time of year but there wasn't a whole lot of variety in foliage and plant life. Still very easy, something to take a loved one on a nice walk.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Parked at Halona Blowhole lookout. We crossed the street and walked towards Hawaii Kai. I didn't want to walk along the road so we climbed up the first finger we came to. It's pretty quick to get to the arch. After taking photos, we continued on the top of the arch. The wind was crazy strong and I had to crouch down numerous times as I was being blown off balance. It's a steep scramble and most of the way up (to the sharp pointed top) I had to keep my hands on the ground due to the incline and because it's very gravely. I do Koko Head railway weekly and this hike is comparable in length and difficulty, there's no shade either so bring water. There's only a few narrow areas, in some parts I had to pull myself up the rocks but there were lots of hand holds. Once we passed the sharp pointed top and stacked boulders (see photos), the trail was wide and well defined. From there it's just a short jaunt to the top of Koko head. We went down the railway stairs & got a ride back to the car. I probably wouldn't do back down the crater trail since it is steep with so much loose gravel.