Koko Crater Arch Trail from Halona Blowhole Lookout is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

beach

underwhelming. would do for sunrise or if you're already stopped at the blowholes but not as a single destination hike.

Don’t be scared by the “hard” rating: You can get close to the arch with an easy hike. Just the part up the arch is tricky. Went there after a rainy night, good grip from the rock.
If you want to go under the arch go left (seen from below) before the steep incline. Much easier than the right side!

Started from Halona Blowhole and all the way to the rim of Koko Crater. Super windy today. The plants are greening up post Tropical Storm Olivia. Weird to see pools of water along the way as this place is always arid and parched. For me, coming down seems easier than going up.

I really love the views and exercise I got on this hike but I have to say I thought it was really scary. The steep slope up to the arch, the arch itself, and the remaining climb up to the ridge had some very scary moments for me. The views are fantastic. I miss the trail that started in the arboretum and went around the rim. (25 years ago!) I went down the trail with the rail tracks cause I was too scared to face the trip down to the blow hole.

Amazing hike! But be careful it’s slippery. Other than that, the view is really amazing!!

Great views - the arch can be dangerous on a windy day like mine.
you can easily access the underside of arch.

Start the hike parking at Halona Blowhole and find your way onto trail left from the Japanese Fishing Shrine (right side could work too I guess - left was not hard but a bit of climbing needed)
Beware of traffic especially on your way out of the hike

Some of my favorite sunrises to date have been seen here. The top of the trail is all rock so you do need to be cautious and wear proper shoes.

Short and sweet. Dont underestimate the climb up to the arch. Its steep. It's a climb. Not a walk.

the hike isn't hard but the rating hard for me comes from the arch itself.

I would I say I'm a pretty good hiker and have hiked way dangerous ones than this one but don't under estimate the arch. If you go up the arch go back down the same way you came up and then use the trail on the right to go under the arch(there is one on the left I heard about but didn't see it ) I saw that there was a little edge area on the right near the top that could access the trail under the arch DONT go this way, I tried to jump from here needless to say lost my footing and got scratched up quite a bit from the fall. It was pretty sketchy because of the incline and the loose rocks on the trail below. Please head my advice and use the trail to the right .

otherwise great little hike and experience

While it's a short hike, it is a challenge. getting up to the ridge takes some navigating. We started up the top of the arch decided against it. The gravel up the right side was super slick. Don't trust any rock not to come loose. Test handholds and footholds. All that said, it was one of the coolest hikes on the island! Views were breathtaking!

Easy hike done in under 30 minutes. I wouldn't climb the arch. once you get there I took a Right and climbed to the side to get a view of the arch and hole. Go slow and be careful. The hike does continue up and I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you're an expert. Park at the lookout. And the hike starts right across from Cockroach Beach. Good luck!

A short and steep hike up but definately worth it for the cardio and breathtaking views. Sketchy transitions to the top of the arch and down to the arch due to steep grades and a lot of loose rock. Park at Halona Blowhole and watch for traffic on both sides when crossing to the start of the trail.

love this hike. great views!

Completed this hike at sunrise on a weekday in May 2017. It was a beautiful hike and not many people were there, maybe like 2.

Great view. A lot easier going up than coming down. Will do this one again

Well if the pictures don’t say it all I don’t know what does. Just do it. It’s short and very unique. Provides amazing pictures.

Climbed down from the ridge trail onto the arch. You could see where all the rockclimbers had anchored their ropes. Climbing down the arch without gear was a little sketchy but overall went well. There’s great views overlooking Hanauma Bay

Hiked up toward the arch and then hiked up over it to the rim trail and then to the summit. Honestly, more enjoyable than the stair trail and way less people. Longer, though not as much of a cardio workout, but between the arch and the constant view from atop the rim trail, this hike was well worth it!

Pretty good little hike. Short and sweet, but the scramble up at the top had me a bit tense due to some loose rocks but all was well. Park at the blowhole, walk the trail along the inside of the guard rail past eternity beach. The cross the highway and start heading up.

Excellent Hike! The Koko Crater Arch Trail begins at the famous Blowhole and continues for 1/2 mile to the largest arch found on Oahu. The grade is moderate and there is no technical climbing involved. Route is exposed with no shade, so bring sunscreen and a bottle of water. Shoes with good tread recommended. Kid & Pet friendly.
Be careful crossing the road as this is one of the most heavily traveled sections on the island. From this hike you can hit the Koko Crater Trail, the Koko Head Railway, Hunauma Bay, the Lighthouse Hike and several more on the NE side of Oahu.
This video contains the most comprehensive information to safely navigate up and down the Koko Crater Arch Trail. Koko Crater is a dormant volcano on the east side of Oahu, Hawaii and this trail can be followed to the rim of the crater...all the way up to the top of Koko Head Railway and down the other side.
For more of HIKING HAWAII, check out Green Beret Unlimited right here on YouTube.

short, excellent trail, beautiful views. the “hard” part seems to be getting on top of the arch. it’s very steep and not many good holds. there was no wind today, the hike was easy, left or right side are doable. we went up the left side, we went down the right side...butt crawl down, it’s cake.

It’s a cool little hike to an amazing rock formation that is great for pictures, make sure you read the history behind it as well.

Not hard! Finding the head was hard. After that it was a walk. When you are looking at the arch, go down the LEFT side. You got it! :)

This hike is definitely a challenge. I’ve uploaded a google maps picture to show two different trails to and around arch, basically if you stay on the LEFT trails life is somewhat easier! To enter: cross after the Japanese fishing shrine (closer to the city) this trail is much easier and still beautiful AND it meets up with the other trail quickly. About half way up the trail gets harder: loose gravel, slick rocks, high winds, and some steep drop offs. If it’s windy, I would definitely delay my hike for better conditions. When close to the arch I suggest going LEFT. You do have to climb over 1 boulder but the trail incline is less steep, less loose gravel, shorter, and protected from the winds better. We went up the right because someone said they had done the trail many times and that we should definitely go that way....

Amazing. Amazing. AmAzing!

My daughter and I did this trail today. It starts out pretty easy but about 2/3 of the way up it plateau’s before going more vertical, high winds. We saw people go off center right due to the higher winds up center. We started to follow but there was a LOT of loose gravel. We decided to not go up that way (struggled to get my footing to take those first steps back around, scary) We chose to go up middle with the winds-much easier, stay low and the wind is really not a factor. Once at the ridge line go LEFT over a short wall, you’re almost at the arch. It was really pretty and the arch is a solid rock base. Always check your footing. We did find loose rock on the mountain side just below the arch, definitely would have crumbled under your foot. Enjoy! Pretty easy to get down and while we were the only ones that went up center, everyone we saw came down center.

Easy hike. always great views. Check out my video and more Hawaii Hikes on YouTube at Green Beret Unlimited!

Nice out and back trail with great with views. Pretty windy and lots of pebbles, rocks so watch your footing.

Caution. High Winds. We made an attempt at this trail but had to back off. It was just to damn windy that day. the trail looks great but as soon as we got up the the ridge line we were hit with some pretty big winds. Wife was having trouble staying on her feet. We are going to come back to this one on a much calmer. Anything Koko Head related is for us.

Sketchy but worth it