Koko Crater Arch Trail

Koko Crater Arch Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

beach

This hike is definitely a challenge. I’ve uploaded a google maps picture to show two different trails to and around arch, basically if you stay on the LEFT trails life is somewhat easier! To enter: cross after the Japanese fishing shrine (closer to the city) this trail is much easier and still beautiful AND it meets up with the other trail quickly. About half way up the trail gets harder: loose gravel, slick rocks, high winds, and some steep drop offs. If it’s windy, I would definitely delay my hike for better conditions. When close to the arch I suggest going LEFT. You do have to climb over 1 boulder but the trail incline is less steep, less loose gravel, shorter, and protected from the winds better. We went up the right because someone said they had done the trail many times and that we should definitely go that way....

Amazing. Amazing. AmAzing!

My daughter and I did this trail today. It starts out pretty easy but about 2/3 of the way up it plateau’s before going more vertical, high winds. We saw people go off center right due to the higher winds up center. We started to follow but there was a LOT of loose gravel. We decided to not go up that way (struggled to get my footing to take those first steps back around, scary) We chose to go up middle with the winds-much easier, stay low and the wind is really not a factor. Once at the ridge line go LEFT over a short wall, you’re almost at the arch. It was really pretty and the arch is a solid rock base. Always check your footing. We did find loose rock on the mountain side just below the arch, definitely would have crumbled under your foot. Enjoy! Pretty easy to get down and while we were the only ones that went up center, everyone we saw came down center.

Easy hike. always great views. Check out my video and more Hawaii Hikes on YouTube at Green Beret Unlimited!

Nice out and back trail with great with views. Pretty windy and lots of pebbles, rocks so watch your footing.

Caution. High Winds. We made an attempt at this trail but had to back off. It was just to damn windy that day. the trail looks great but as soon as we got up the the ridge line we were hit with some pretty big winds. Wife was having trouble staying on her feet. We are going to come back to this one on a much calmer. Anything Koko Head related is for us.

Sketchy but worth it

Quick hike and good workout!
Park at Halona lookout and walk across the street to start. We headed up to the arch and climbed on top of it and headed straight up to Koko Head. Walked along the ridge to get to the very top of Koko Head. It’s longer and more exciting than doing the stairs to the top. Still an excellent workout. Bring lots of water too!
On the way down we stopped at the arch to get pics.

Awesome, short hike with good views. Went to Blowhole afterwards. Would definetly do it again.

Made the trek this morning at sunrise to the arch, and the view was gorgeous! Definitely worth the wake up call. Climbed atop the arch for a better view, and the climb up the arch is a little sketchy. It looks like there may have been a rope at one point, but no more. Didn't attempt the trek to the top of the crater today, but would like to attempt it eventually.

Challenging and awesome at the peak/arch, just wish it was a little longer...!!!

Didn't go on top of the archway itself but when I was coming down from the Koko Head ridge trail I noticed the path that connects this trail up to the ridge trail. Gotta be on all fours to get up.

This by far was the most challenging hike I've ever been on. It's only a mile but took 3-4 hours to complete up and back. The steep incline over the arch is the most terrifying to come down. For the adventure seekers this will be a challenge! I will stick to the koko crater stairs which took less than an hour up & down!

Amazing short hike if you go when the sunrise and the sun is coming through the arch.

Easy fast hike great views

I love this hike. Nice and short and the views of the coast and the arch itself are amazing. Great place for a sunset as well! For more information about this hike, check out my blog post!

Awesome short hike, starts from the rocks across the street from the Halona Blowhole east of Honolulu [good place to park just above the beach]. It can be hot and windy as you are exposed all the way to the arch. The easier way to get under the arch is to hike around the left side while holding on to the rocks on your right. Most of the slope is covered with loose rocks and you will slip some. You can also go to the top in front of the arch and step to the right, but you need to be fairly tall to reach the handholds. Use common sense and caution, as a fall will cause an injury. The view is amazing and once you are under the arch, you have a nice place to sit and enjoy the breeze.

Amazing

One of my favorite hikes in Oahu. If you have time hike to the top of the crater. It is a nice technical scramble up. Also take the time to walk under the arch too. I recommend taking to the right of the arch. It is pretty cool climbing up the old lava tube to get under the arch!

Thursday, December 01, 2016

Very short, yes, but you'll need 1-1.5 hours.

This is not for you if you're not sure footed, or you are afraid of heights. It's very steep and slippery with loose rocks.

It's not a sanctioned hike so go at your own risk.

Once you reach the base of the arch, you're faced with a pretty steep incline. The rock is dusty and crumbly, and sometimes it is hard to get good footing. There were a few times where I found myself thinking, "Welp, I'm bout to slip and slide down the mountain." But somehow, I managed to keep a grip. We also encountered a few small wasp nests going up the left side of the arch. Unless you are a coconut tree-climbing native braddah or sistah, who just got off work at the Polynesian Cultural Center, I'd bring good shoes. The right side was pretty challenging going up, but not as back going down.

Once there under the arch, on a hot day, the shade and breeze coming through the arch is just awesome. I haven't gone on top of the arch yet. First time I didn't have the balls. Second time it was too windy, and my pack was too heavy so... didn't have the balls lol.

Just because you hear about some dude going up in his rubber slippers, or you see pics on IG of girls barefoot in their bikinis, doesn't mean it's real. They probably hiked up with at least shoes. Maybe not clothes. Who knows.

IG @niiimz_