Koko Crater Arch Trail

Koko Crater Arch Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

beach

the hike isn't hard but the rating hard for me comes from the arch itself.

I would I say I'm a pretty good hiker and have hiked way dangerous ones than this one but don't under estimate the arch. If you go up the arch go back down the same way you came up and then use the trail on the right to go under the arch(there is one on the left I heard about but didn't see it ) I saw that there was a little edge area on the right near the top that could access the trail under the arch DONT go this way, I tried to jump from here needless to say lost my footing and got scratched up quite a bit from the fall. It was pretty sketchy because of the incline and the loose rocks on the trail below. Please head my advice and use the trail to the right .

otherwise great little hike and experience

While it's a short hike, it is a challenge. getting up to the ridge takes some navigating. We started up the top of the arch decided against it. The gravel up the right side was super slick. Don't trust any rock not to come loose. Test handholds and footholds. All that said, it was one of the coolest hikes on the island! Views were breathtaking!

A short and steep hike up but definately worth it for the cardio and breathtaking views. Sketchy transitions to the top of the arch and down to the arch due to steep grades and a lot of loose rock. Park at Halona Blowhole and watch for traffic on both sides when crossing to the start of the trail.

love this hike. great views!

Completed this hike at sunrise on a weekday in May 2017. It was a beautiful hike and not many people were there, maybe like 2.

Great view. A lot easier going up than coming down. Will do this one again

Well if the pictures don’t say it all I don’t know what does. Just do it. It’s short and very unique. Provides amazing pictures.

Climbed down from the ridge trail onto the arch. You could see where all the rockclimbers had anchored their ropes. Climbing down the arch without gear was a little sketchy but overall went well. There’s great views overlooking Hanauma Bay

Hiked up toward the arch and then hiked up over it to the rim trail and then to the summit. Honestly, more enjoyable than the stair trail and way less people. Longer, though not as much of a cardio workout, but between the arch and the constant view from atop the rim trail, this hike was well worth it!

Pretty good little hike. Short and sweet, but the scramble up at the top had me a bit tense due to some loose rocks but all was well. Park at the blowhole, walk the trail along the inside of the guard rail past eternity beach. The cross the highway and start heading up.

Excellent Hike! The Koko Crater Arch Trail begins at the famous Blowhole and continues for 1/2 mile to the largest arch found on Oahu. The grade is moderate and there is no technical climbing involved. Route is exposed with no shade, so bring sunscreen and a bottle of water. Shoes with good tread recommended. Kid & Pet friendly.
Be careful crossing the road as this is one of the most heavily traveled sections on the island. From this hike you can hit the Koko Crater Trail, the Koko Head Railway, Hunauma Bay, the Lighthouse Hike and several more on the NE side of Oahu.
This video contains the most comprehensive information to safely navigate up and down the Koko Crater Arch Trail. Koko Crater is a dormant volcano on the east side of Oahu, Hawaii and this trail can be followed to the rim of the crater...all the way up to the top of Koko Head Railway and down the other side.
For more of HIKING HAWAII, check out Green Beret Unlimited right here on YouTube.

short, excellent trail, beautiful views. the “hard” part seems to be getting on top of the arch. it’s very steep and not many good holds. there was no wind today, the hike was easy, left or right side are doable. we went up the left side, we went down the right side...butt crawl down, it’s cake.

It’s a cool little hike to an amazing rock formation that is great for pictures, make sure you read the history behind it as well.

Not hard! Finding the head was hard. After that it was a walk. When you are looking at the arch, go down the LEFT side. You got it! :)

This hike is definitely a challenge. I’ve uploaded a google maps picture to show two different trails to and around arch, basically if you stay on the LEFT trails life is somewhat easier! To enter: cross after the Japanese fishing shrine (closer to the city) this trail is much easier and still beautiful AND it meets up with the other trail quickly. About half way up the trail gets harder: loose gravel, slick rocks, high winds, and some steep drop offs. If it’s windy, I would definitely delay my hike for better conditions. When close to the arch I suggest going LEFT. You do have to climb over 1 boulder but the trail incline is less steep, less loose gravel, shorter, and protected from the winds better. We went up the right because someone said they had done the trail many times and that we should definitely go that way....

Amazing. Amazing. AmAzing!

My daughter and I did this trail today. It starts out pretty easy but about 2/3 of the way up it plateau’s before going more vertical, high winds. We saw people go off center right due to the higher winds up center. We started to follow but there was a LOT of loose gravel. We decided to not go up that way (struggled to get my footing to take those first steps back around, scary) We chose to go up middle with the winds-much easier, stay low and the wind is really not a factor. Once at the ridge line go LEFT over a short wall, you’re almost at the arch. It was really pretty and the arch is a solid rock base. Always check your footing. We did find loose rock on the mountain side just below the arch, definitely would have crumbled under your foot. Enjoy! Pretty easy to get down and while we were the only ones that went up center, everyone we saw came down center.

Easy hike. always great views. Check out my video and more Hawaii Hikes on YouTube at Green Beret Unlimited!

Nice out and back trail with great with views. Pretty windy and lots of pebbles, rocks so watch your footing.

Caution. High Winds. We made an attempt at this trail but had to back off. It was just to damn windy that day. the trail looks great but as soon as we got up the the ridge line we were hit with some pretty big winds. Wife was having trouble staying on her feet. We are going to come back to this one on a much calmer. Anything Koko Head related is for us.

Sketchy but worth it

Quick hike and good workout!
Park at Halona lookout and walk across the street to start. We headed up to the arch and climbed on top of it and headed straight up to Koko Head. Walked along the ridge to get to the very top of Koko Head. It’s longer and more exciting than doing the stairs to the top. Still an excellent workout. Bring lots of water too!
On the way down we stopped at the arch to get pics.

Awesome, short hike with good views. Went to Blowhole afterwards. Would definetly do it again.

10 minutes... Too short but you can go to the top of coco head in 20 minutes! The sunrise is amazing!

Made the trek this morning at sunrise to the arch, and the view was gorgeous! Definitely worth the wake up call. Climbed atop the arch for a better view, and the climb up the arch is a little sketchy. It looks like there may have been a rope at one point, but no more. Didn't attempt the trek to the top of the crater today, but would like to attempt it eventually.

Challenging and awesome at the peak/arch, just wish it was a little longer...!!!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Didn't go on top of the archway itself but when I was coming down from the Koko Head ridge trail I noticed the path that connects this trail up to the ridge trail. Gotta be on all fours to get up.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

This by far was the most challenging hike I've ever been on. It's only a mile but took 3-4 hours to complete up and back. The steep incline over the arch is the most terrifying to come down. For the adventure seekers this will be a challenge! I will stick to the koko crater stairs which took less than an hour up & down!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Amazing short hike if you go when the sunrise and the sun is coming through the arch.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Easy fast hike great views