Kilauea Iki Trail and Crater Rim Trail

Kilauea Iki Trail and Crater Rim Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hawaii National Park, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Great day hike down into and across a solid lava lake in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Klauea Iki Trail starts in the rain forest on the crater's rim. The trail descends 400 feet through the rain forest to the crater floor. Hikers will cross the still-steaming crater floor, past the gaping throat of the vent that built Pu'u Pua'i cinder cone, and return to your starting point via the crater's rim. Highlights: Rain forest, birds, insects, 1959 lava lake, steam vents, cinder and spatter cone.

Amazing hike. Entire family down to 7 year old did it without any complaints. The forest parts were amazing and then in the crater is otherworldly. The switchbacks on the way back up were the only tiring part.

One of the most amazing hikes I’ve ever been on

Sympa. En partant directement du visitor center cela permet d’avoir aussi une vue sur le cratère Halema’um’a.

Awesome hike! Through the lush forest switchbacks down into the lava lake. The vents are nice warm. The crater is like something out of this world. Paired these trails along portions of others for a 7 mile trip, parked at the visitors center. Several steep sections, definitely a challenge.

Fantastic hike through beautiful greenery, with distant views of the bigger crater and steam wafting past. Heading down into this crater was just amazing. We loved the steep decent and moon like walk across the middle with steam pockets along the way.

Not the prettiest hike, but very interesting geologically.

Pretty place, very family friendly and open to a lot of exploration. Try to stay on the path and not to damage the surrounding areas by bush-wacking. I recommend going early since there are a lot of people mid-day to dusk. If you get there early and you stand in the middle of the crater, it's such a surreal experience - you can hear your heart beat!

amazing hike.
loved walk across the crater, steam vents and looking at new vegetation starting to come through.

My favorite hike at HVNP. I always take visitors on this one and have never had a complaint.

If you'll do just one hike in Volcano National Park, make it this one. You'll see a bit of everything and it's accessible to most hikers.

Great little hike, would say it is easy rather than moderate

We combined some trails in the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park and ended having a great hike. Starting at the Visitor Center we started on the Earthquake Trail left of the Volcano House. At the end of the paved road we merged on Crater Rim Trail and turned left on Kilauea Iki Trail shortly after. At the Thurston Lava Tube we added a short loop through the tube then continued to the trail. After we passed the crater floor we connected with the Byron Ledge Trail in the direction of the Visitor Center. Following the signs we hikes parts of the Halema'uma'u Trail, the 'Iliahi Trail and the Sulphur Banks Trail. We ended at the Visitor Center where we parked our car. The hike is about 10-11 km long, it took us about 3,5 hours with stops and a snack pause. I would rate the hike on the harder side of moderate but it might be easier when it isn't raining all through the hike. We thought it was a great hike as we could include a street that is closed since an earthquake, a lava tube, hiking on a still cooling off lava lake in the Iki Crater, going down on the Caldera floor, the steam vents and the Sulphur banks. So there was pretty much to see on this reasonably long hike.

Nice and easy trail

Worth the hike! walking across the crater is like walking on mars! The hike isn't too bad. The climb back up was a little tiring but it's pretty gradual and smooth.

It was so beautiful, like a rainforest, not really strenuous. Then including a hike across the crater floor was fabulous.

Great hike. Bring water. The crater is warm. Avoid looking to closely into open holes as they can be steamy. Great hike tho. Forgot to hit record at the start. Expect this to be just over 3 miles

Fun, easy hike for family through unusual (for us) terrain.

hawaii volcanoes n.p. has an undeniable energy and this hike left me in awe

Amazing geology and birds! Very popular. We hiked at sunset and it gave the crater an otherworldly feeling.

I had intended to do a longer hike across the Halema‘uma‘u Trail during my visit, but when I found that was closed I ended up combining a few of the shorter trails in the area, including this one. It was great! Walking across the crater was a unique and fun experience. It didn't seem unusually hot to me, maybe five degrees warmer than up on the rim. I saw several groups with a variety of hiking skill levels. Unlike most trails, you can easily spread out from the main path, so it didn't feel crowded.

When I got back up on the rim at the east end, there was a crowded section that passed through a couple busy trailheads, with some litter and noise. Heading west toward the Visitor Center, that eventually changed to an eerie desolation as the trail merged with a decommissioned road and went through an abandoned lookout parking lot before reaching the Volcano Hotel just south of the Visitor Center.

If the mileage is right for you, I recommend starting at the Visitor Center, hiking west through the steam fields to the Steaming Bluff, then backtracking and dropping down into the big crater on the Halema‘uma‘u Trail. You can walk along the floor of the big crater for about a quarter mile before climbing back up and then connecting to this trail. Then complete the loop back to the Visitor Center,