Kammieland Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Haleiwa, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
dogs on leash
Super slippery and a little rough today. Will have to go again when it isn't sprinkling. Kids enjoyed it, beautiful views.
Very nice short hike with beautiful views once at the top. I recommend wearing hiking shoes as it gets slippery after a rain shower. Definitely go to the 2nd pillbox as the view is amazing. Just follow the very small trail on the right side of the 1st pillbox when facing the ocean. It looks like you are heading down to nowhere but you will find it and the view is worth it!
Pretty easy hike. Did it with our 8 year old son. Wear good shoes, there might be some pretty good mud on the hill straight up. There are a few ropes to help but some have been broken. Pillbox was nice and so were the views. It was a pretty nice afternoon hike
Also known as the Ehukai Pillbox Hike. This trail is a relatively easy hike up the side of the mountain to visit 2 pillboxes leftover from the war. The views are great! Here is the review:
Park at Sunset Beach Elementary School near the playground. Don't go into the school parking lot, through the gate. On the left side of the gate, you will see a little path going into the trees. It's pretty easy to see right off the bat. Go ahead and follow the path and begin your ascent!
- Shade, almost the entire way except for when you are at the pillboxes.
- Ropes are available during some of the steeper areas that could be muddy during the rain.
- Strawberry guava trees all over the place. Great eating when in season.
- Short hike. Round trip distance to the furthest pillbox and back was only about 1.8 miles.
- Restrooms near the parking area.
- Lots of parking. Make sure you do not park in the school parking lot.
- Geocaching available.
- Lots of other trails intersect with this one. Explore!
The Not So Good:
- Some sections are steep and will be difficult during times of rain.
- The second pillbox is technically on private property. Though the fence is down and the trail runs on, enter at your own risk.
Bottom Line: great family friendly hike for those on the North Shore who want to go explore.