Kamilo Iki Ridge Trail (PRIVATE PROPERTY)

Kamilo Iki Ridge Trail (PRIVATE PROPERTY) is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

This hike starts behind the Pahua Heiau that was built circa AD 1400. It traverses up the ridge through haole koa which then turns into a very open ridge hike with drops on both sides. It snakes up and down approximately 8-9 humps and eventually reaches the tree line. At the back of the ridge there is a switch back through the pine trees that then pops out onto the Koolau Summit Trail. Great views of Kamilo Iki and Nui Valleys stay with you all the way up. Once at the KST its a clear view of Waimanalo and Olomana all the way to Kualoa

At the cul-de-sac, go up the steps and keep left, adjacent to a house. Make your way towards the back of the hill. It is a bit overgrown with blow downs. Soon enough, you will find the trail that hugs the foot of the hill.

We couldn't even get started on this trail at all it was so overgrown. We did circles and got really cut up by the tall grass and attacked by mosquitos :(

Did this hike in the afternoon on a cool March day. When you start, a local homeowner told us to hug the fence to the left. There is a trail over there but it was super overgrown and multiple branches of the trail. Once you get up to the ridge it is much clearer. The bulk of the hike was out in the sun and would be HOT in the summer. The end of the hike was awesome
And nothing beats that view. There were some folks up there camping as there is some flat areas near the top.

I will totally bring my kids back to Don’t another time (my kids are ages 11 - 3).

It’s actually 5.2 miles,

Took us 2:43 to and back to the end of the trail. Very humid and hot. Trail full of red ants. Saw a bunch of people hiking up with backpacks. Looks like they are going camping.

I went up to the top and came down on Kamehame Dr. took 2+hours and just 5.5miles.

This was probably one of my least favorite hikes so far. It was terribly hot, dry and exposed, and this was even though I started my hike before 9 a.m.
Thank goodness it got prettier towards the top and you are rewarded with a great view, otherwise I would have been completely disappointed. But I still feel like there are just so many other better hikes on the island.
As another reviewer advised, please take plenty of water, I drank my whole 2 liters before I finished the hike.
Maybe I would try it again in cooler temps.

love this hike maybe cause it's the closest to my house! I go up in 40min~ and from there I do a KST crossover to any other hikes, normally go to makapuu ridge to hang out at alan davis or sandys... or go left and go down Waimanalo (TomTom) and go to Sherwood forest beach... Be respectful with neighbors, don't be loud, don't get inside the sacred heiau, go around it (left) and keep moving until you can't be seen. Really easy and short hike but if you are a beginner hiker or a slow one, bring water, and wear pants if you care about getting a few scratches.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Recommend pants. Loved the views!!!

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Great hike! Hard to find the trail head. It's a little over grown. Once you get to the top, ca. 15 min hike up, the trail is pretty good. Took us a little over 2 hrs one way, and almost 2 hrs back. Took our time due to getting hot! Not a dangerous hike. You need to take lots of water!!!

Monday, February 27, 2017

Very good, not really difficult, except the begin, the road is not very clear but the view worth it.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

When to the trail and the state put up a bunch of signs indicating it was now closed, home owner next door kindly told me to piss off

Saturday, July 16, 2016

If I were to offer 1 piece of advice...it'd be to WEAR PANTS. The trail is so overgrown. My boyfriend and I both had shorts on and the brush was constantly scraping against our legs - it got to the point where it was too painful to continue (brush was getting even thicker) so we just turned around. HOWEVER, other than that, I really liked the trail a lot and it had awesome views!. I would like to do it again (but with pants this time! haha) :)

Monday, July 04, 2016

Awesome hike/climb! Great rewarding review at the end. iPhone health tracker said it was 5.8 miles not 2.5. Easy to find and parking in the neighborhood was easy and not an issue.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Pretty easy and quick ridge hike. No crazy drop offs anywhere. Got to the top in an hour. Great view of the east side up there. First 3/4 of it has no shade so, be prepped for that.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

We set off before the sun came up with only the light from our phones. Would definitely do this hike again, rewarding views.

Monday, June 01, 2015

The trail starts out rocky, but a good kind of rocky. They were almost like steps and when the sky started lashing us with driving rains, it didn't get slick. The first part is out in the open, then you get cover under the trees. Some areas I was huffing, but we always try to hike for time. It wasn't a clear day, and the clouds kept playing peek-a-boo with the turquoise waters of Waimanalo. Usually I'm a one & done with trails, but this one I'd do again.

Friday, October 03, 2014

The plus for this hike is the extra KST traverse towards the Tom Tom Trail. We wanted to at least check out the top of Kamilo Nui Valley saddle that connects to the KST. This is the original leeward side of the Tom Tom Trail. We could see the overgrown jeep roads still marking the switchbacks into the valley. The Kamilo Nui valley traverse starting from Kuapa (now Hawaii Kai drive) followed the valley up the back to the crest and down a spur to Waimanalo. This was a popular journey for Hawaiians in the 1800. It was later rediscovered in the 1920's by Thomas McGuire and Thomas Cadle - after which the trail is now named - Tom Tom.

The views from here are majestic. Although this is a pretty hot hike, its well worth it. Bring lots of water and be sure to wear a hat.

recorded