Kalepa Ridge Trail

Kalepa Ridge Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Difficult trail along Kalepa Ridge above the Kalalau Valley in Kokee St. This park features spectacular views.

12 minutes ago

Unreal

One of the best trails considering how short it is. It’s probably my favorite perspective of Kalalau, standing at the edge of box canyon. You can look straight down the sheer 3000ft cliff. It’s steep in some places and definitely slipper when wet. You will be holding onto trees and roots for some assistance in a couple spots but it’s nothing that bad. It can be suffocatingly hot and humid when there’s no breeze in the summer and can be cold, in the mid 50s and windy in the winter. Be careful standing on the edge. I saw someone slip and almost fall in.

Amazing views throughout! The trail definitely has some tricky parts where the descent is steep and you have to get a little dirty but that’s all part of the fun. Trail seemed little known and lightly trafficked. Well worth it!

One of the best hikes on Kauai. Amazing views of the Kalalau Valley. The climb offers a great sense of adventure, it is narrow and steep at times though so be careful when muddy. Multiple different types of terrain along the trail and numerous viewing points that offer different perspectives on the Valley. At the very end of the hike you are able to see along the Nāpali to Ke’e beach and to the other side you can see the Honopu ridge and valley. Going before midday is the safest bet, we went one afternoon only to find the entire valley in white out. Going early the following day we had perfect weather. Definitely worth it!

Beautiful views!! The entrance is to the left of the Kalalau Lookout sign. The trail was dry for the most part (hasn’t rained in ~5 days), but I definitely wouldn’t go if it has rained recently because there are some very steep and slippery parts. It wasn’t too difficult, but like others have mentioned just don’t do anything stupid and you’ll be fine! Definitely not for children though.

We loved this trail. I’m 41, above average condition. Hiked a bit, but by no means what I would call “a lot”. The views are spectacular all along the path. Mind blowingly spectacular. The trail is not that challenging from a physical fitness perspective, but very challenging from a “whoa, if I slip I’m not going to sprain my ankle, I’m going to die” perspective. I was genuinely scared once. Got through it and was thrilled the rest of the hike. We had crystal clear weather at around 11am and the trail was pretty dry. Totally do it, but don’t underestimate it. That said, I saw a guy out there in birkenstocks so maybe I’m just a chicken. Ha!

little risky when it's raining but worth the views. Best time to hike is sunrise

Awesome Tail! I’m featured in the first picture! Find me in the picture, I’m wearing a green shirt just about to walk on the ledge

Awesome trail with stunning views! It was challenging after several days of rain, very muddy and slippery. Definitely a must do!

Nice and short. Not difficult if you have good hiking shoes.

Amazing views the whole hike not just a view at the end.

Amazing views the whole way. I'd seriously advise against doing this if it's going to rain, or just rained. Super steep, muddy sections that could be a problem when wet. Other than that - DO IT.

Great hike with a breathtaking view !

I don’t think I have ever been more happy with such a short hike. So breathtakingly beautiful. The first part is steep downhill and then it levels off. This is rated “hard”.... but my 12 year old and my husband and I did this in flip flops. It was a dry day... if the trail was muddy I would have called it moderate. There were a few “holy crap that’s far down” moments, but if you are not stupid and are fairly active, you’ll be fine. Gorgeous gorgeous rewards for such a short trip.

My favorite hike!

stunning!

Such a good hike, perfect length, perfect difficulty. To be frank, I don't work out, I'm by no means a hiking freak -- and I was FINE. Don't let that "hard" scare you. I will warn you though, it was pretty slippery. I ended up doing the whole thing barefoot for better traction.

Beautiful! Maybe the most. But watch your step, it's a long way down.

Incredible hike with amazing views and a great bang for your buck for both time and energy.

The first 500 ft is steep and muddy, and after the trail is relatively flat, and gets narrow in places. Wear pants if you don't want to get scraped by bushes. It took us about 90 minutes round Trip.

All in all an awesome little hike.

One of my favorite hikes in life. Views for days..