Kalepa Ridge Trail

Kalepa Ridge Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Difficult trail along Kalepa Ridge above the Kalalau Valley in Kokee St. This park features spectacular views.

Amazing view! One of the most gorgeous coastline I have ever seen! First quarter of the trail was a little steep with big steps, but the rest of the trail was a lot easier. Totally worth the hike :)

Amazing views. We took our 8, 6 and 2 years old. The 2 year old was in a carrier. I don't recommend taking children unless they are seasoned hikers and not prone to panicking. Mine did well but we hike alot. Lots of steep stuff And packed mud. It's downhill the first half and uphill the second half so keep that in mind as well.

Best trail I’ve ever been on. It was beautiful!

Beautiful, short, unmarked Koke'e option. We came across this trail when we were at the Kalalau lookout and saw a couple with their tiny dog emerge from an opening in the fence. They were wearing normal tennis shoes and they didn't look exhausted or muddy, so we decided it must not be too bad. Three hours later (lots of pictures) we were finished. Much more strenuous than I was expecting due to it being steep. The trail is obvious and the views are amazing. The lookout is so worth it and it was not too crowded. We went on a very cloudy day so we didn't get the full views, but the clouds made the ridges seem all the more massive. This trail is quite steep and I can see it being slick with more mud. I recommend hiking shoes and a pole. Most of the trail was very cool and shaded. There are two definite clearings to chill and relax along the way. Beautiful, satisfying hike!

Beautiful hike on a clear day! The trail is steep and muddy at times with steep drop offs, so perhaps not suitable for the very young or very old.

Absolutely amazing hike. Listen to the other reviews and bring boots and poles, or you will regret it. I went in tennis shoes and my friend had to give me one of her boots because I was sliding all over the place. Be cautious as there are some large drop offs, but nothing crazy dangerous as long as your careful. We saw a family of goats! We left the Kalalau lookout at 7am and got to the end around 8:15am. We had the vista all to ourselves until we headed back at 9:30am. Around then the fog started to roll in, and so did the other people. We probably saw 15 people or so on our way back. I definitely recommend hitting the trail early because being at the end alone is pure magic. Hike out is way easier than the hike in even though it’s uphill. Overall, amazing hike 10/10 would recommend!

Really incredible views. Short distance but took us about 1:30 & had to scramble a couple times. We had great weather but I would NOT recommend doing this in the rain. Still- even though it’s a ridge trail you never feel like you could slip one way and that’s it.

Stunning hike along the ridge line - keep heading right to the end (past the first ‘picnic’ spot) for the best view along the coast.

Simply the best views imaginable. most people we saw going down had flip flops on, would recommend proper shoes. the trail is right on the ridge in many places so if you aren't a sure-footed hiker maybe just stay at the lookout where the trail begins.

Awesome hike!

10/4/17 — This will end up a top five hike in my lifetime. It's short (in distance, not time), but the views are some of the best in the world. If you're scared of heights, this probably isn't the best idea. At times you are walking on the edge of the world. If the weather starts to turn a bit during the hike, think about waiting it out. We experiences sunshine, rain, more sunshine, mist, and everything in between. You don't need poles or proper hiking boots as the terrain isn't technical. Athletic shoes will work.

Beautiful! Sketchy areas forsure and would not recommend if you haven’t hiked before. The views are amazing.

We started it at the Kalalua lookout...which was probably why it was so treacherous so quicklu

Terrifying. Only do if you want to risk your life. I ended up turning back after ten minutes. Extremely dangerous. You have been warned...

This was the most payoff for the least effort I have ever experienced on a hike. I had debated driving all the way back for this hike after experiencing a lengthy whiteout the day before - I'm so glad I followed my gut. Like others have stated, go early. I began at 8:30am and got a spectacular show of rising clouds around 10am. When you reach the firepits and it looks steep to reach the last hill, don't hesitate. The view from the last ridge, overlooking the beach, is worth the extra bit of climbing.

I would not recommend doing this hike in the rain, however if you are an intermediate to experienced hiker, you'll have no issue on this hike. Have shoes with traction for the mud, watch where you step, and use three-point-touch (as per usual). There is nothing scary about this trail, just gasps of amazement.

We were a mixed crew of experience but Jeramiah our guide coaxed is along and it was spectacular. Our 32 year old son- in - law said it was the hardest hike he’s ever done but worth the 10 hour flight from NYC.

Awesome trail. It’s short enough you don’t have to take a ton of crap. It can easily be done just carrying a water bottle. We did take some food though and ate it at the end. A perfect place to have lunch. Its not an easy trail but it’s only two miles out and back. I would say the hardest part about it was the long drive to the viewpoint/trailhead. A couple of people we passed were wearing flip flops but it was pretty dry when we went. I’m sure if there has been any moisture at all it would be harder but it could be ten times harder and the views would still be worth it. I’m not great with heights. I wouldn’t go bungee jumping or sky diving or anything but at no point on this trail was I uncomfortable with the drops on either side. Whatever is holding you back, the drive, the heights, the hard rating. Just tough through it for this one. You won’t regret it.

Beautiful views! Definitely worth the short hike. Go early to beat the clouds. They started rolling in about 9:30 in the morning.

Definietly a couple more of the “if I misstep, I’m gonna die a horrible death” spots on this trail than some of the other trails at the top but had a blast though with some great views. Got on the trail around 8am and while it was foggy/cloudy all the way up the canyon this trail was clear. Trail was a bit wet but wasn’t bad at all.

Unreal

One of the best trails considering how short it is. It’s probably my favorite perspective of Kalalau, standing at the edge of box canyon. You can look straight down the sheer 3000ft cliff. It’s steep in some places and definitely slipper when wet. You will be holding onto trees and roots for some assistance in a couple spots but it’s nothing that bad. It can be suffocatingly hot and humid when there’s no breeze in the summer and can be cold, in the mid 50s and windy in the winter. Be careful standing on the edge. I saw someone slip and almost fall in.

Amazing views throughout! The trail definitely has some tricky parts where the descent is steep and you have to get a little dirty but that’s all part of the fun. Trail seemed little known and lightly trafficked. Well worth it!

One of the best hikes on Kauai. Amazing views of the Kalalau Valley. The climb offers a great sense of adventure, it is narrow and steep at times though so be careful when muddy. Multiple different types of terrain along the trail and numerous viewing points that offer different perspectives on the Valley. At the very end of the hike you are able to see along the Nāpali to Ke’e beach and to the other side you can see the Honopu ridge and valley. Going before midday is the safest bet, we went one afternoon only to find the entire valley in white out. Going early the following day we had perfect weather. Definitely worth it!

Beautiful views!! The entrance is to the left of the Kalalau Lookout sign. The trail was dry for the most part (hasn’t rained in ~5 days), but I definitely wouldn’t go if it has rained recently because there are some very steep and slippery parts. It wasn’t too difficult, but like others have mentioned just don’t do anything stupid and you’ll be fine! Definitely not for children though.

We loved this trail. I’m 41, above average condition. Hiked a bit, but by no means what I would call “a lot”. The views are spectacular all along the path. Mind blowingly spectacular. The trail is not that challenging from a physical fitness perspective, but very challenging from a “whoa, if I slip I’m not going to sprain my ankle, I’m going to die” perspective. I was genuinely scared once. Got through it and was thrilled the rest of the hike. We had crystal clear weather at around 11am and the trail was pretty dry. Totally do it, but don’t underestimate it. That said, I saw a guy out there in birkenstocks so maybe I’m just a chicken. Ha!

little risky when it's raining but worth the views. Best time to hike is sunrise

Awesome Tail! I’m featured in the first picture! Find me in the picture, I’m wearing a green shirt just about to walk on the ledge

Awesome trail with stunning views! It was challenging after several days of rain, very muddy and slippery. Definitely a must do!

Nice and short. Not difficult if you have good hiking shoes.

Amazing views the whole hike not just a view at the end.