Kalepa Ridge Trail

Kalepa Ridge Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Difficult trail along Kalepa Ridge above the Kalalau Valley in Kokee St. This park features spectacular views.

48 seconds ago

Awesome views of cliffs and coast. Nice little hike. Allow 1.5-2 hrs to take it all in. Steep drop offs on both sides at times. Would not be good if raining or muddy.

Very beautiful views and sooo much better than from the viewing platform. Definitely worth it especially since it's such a short hike.

Pound for pound this hike was one of the bests for views throughout the hike. It’s short but decently intense. If you’re scared of heights this one may not be for you as it is pretty much the definition of ridge trail in some places.

Aaaaamaaaazing hike!!! Would recommend everyone!

AMAZING!!! Very short with stunning views throughout. It was dry when I did it and really not scary at all, though I can see it being very different when wet.

Ok... I hate heights! But this hike was amazing. I did it cause it was rated difficult and made me conquer my heights worry. AND... cause my GF wanted to do it. It’s easy really. Mostly down hill out and all uphill back. Awesome views! Keep your wits about you... my GF tried the last little 40-50ft path to look out but turned back. I was very frightened for her. I uploaded a pic. DONT try it! Not worth it.

What a great little hike!

Immediate and huge payout for such a short hike. Not challenging if you’re a frequent hiker- Incredible views the entire way, a few moments of needing to watch footing etc but one of the hands down most beautiful trails we have ever been on.

Gorgeous hike. Amazing view of the cathedrals in the Na Pali Coast and the valley. There was even a rainbow as we hiked this trail. Easy hike for sunset ~30 min down. Don’t go if it has rained- can be very muddy and narrow path (4000 ft high) end also gets narrow and can make you realize you’re afraid of heights

Best hike of my life!!

Partly steep, but easily manageable. Amazing views if the Napali Coast. We hiked 35 minutes. It was not the end, I think we missed it to go to the end of the ridge, because in the end it gets a little more dangerous. Just decided how much you want to risk and how far you want to go! Would definitely recommend it!

This is a great trail! The views are amazing from both sides of the ridge. The clouds may roll in but they roll out just as quickly. Having a hiking pole was handy but not entirely necessary, Good boots are recommended and be prepared to get muddy if it has rained. It took us a little over 2 hours to complete without rushing. The first 500 meters or so are the worst for climbing but it does level out somewhat after that. If your afraid of heights then this may not be for you. The views at the end make it with it!

This was hands down my favorite trail in Koke’e. The views are mind blowing and there is no crowd. The hike is fairly short and only moderate in difficulty (if you are prepared and are not trying to hike in flip flops and a baby on your hip, which I would not recommend).

The ledges can be scary if you have any kind of fear of heights and possibly dangerous if you are not careful. However, you do not have to go all the way to the end if you feel uncomfortable. The views get better with every step. Hike down and soak in the views and the cool ocean breeze!

Awesome

Short and spectacular. A real bang for your buck! We started when it was very cloudy and couldn't see anything, but after a while the clouds dispersed, a rainbow formed and it was incredible; like a picture book. The trail is actually more safe than it first appears and wide enough to not feel too precarious. The trail head starts behind the metal gate to the right of the look out.

by far one of the most beautiful trails I've ever done. be careful if it's wet and you'll be fine. enjoy the views and watch the clouds roll in!

This is hands down the best thing I’ve ever done. It took about 45 minutes each way and was fairly steep in some parts. The view at the end is absolutely spectacular as are the views on the walk there and back. We left at 7:30am and by the time we got back around 10am clouds were starting to roll in. Temperature was fine going out but starting to get hot on the return trip. I do not like heights and did find parts of this trail very scary however the friend I was walking with had no problems. Just take it slow if you’re feeling worried, the views are most definitely worth it.

Wow wow wow. Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow.

This beats all of the other trails I’ve done in Hawaii in terms of views and in just 4km total.

You should absolutely do this. Take your big camera. Hell, just arrive here one morning and stay until sunset.

Very steep in beginning, but worth it

So beautiful! WeR shoes with spikes or you will be crab crawling down the first 1/2 mile. It is ver slippery even in dry conditions. Keep going all beat to the cliff but beware the trail is very narrow and sketchy in places. Not for those afraid of heights! Absolutely quiet and peaceful hike with final views of the Na Pali Coast - Amazing! PS - No flowers on the trail in August

One of the most beautiful trails I've ever done. This trail was definitely tricky, but not impossible. My 64 year old dad was able to do it without much issue (just needed to stop and rest a lot). To get here, drive all the way up to the Kalalau Lookout and go through the small gate on the left, right before the lookout spot. It starts with a decently steep downhill portion and then mostly evens out once you get to a clearing with some grass. The trail is pretty narrow, dropping to about 18in at some points with steep dropoffs at either side. When you get to the ridge there are portions with a lot of thick grasses/fern bushes on either side so wear long sleeves and pants if you want to avoid getting scratched up. If it has rained a lot recently I would NOT suggest this trail. This isn't one you want to slip and fall on.

Wear good shoes, stay aware of the trail conditions, get there early and you'll be fine.

The views are spectacular. Very muddy and slick when we went though.

Incredible views down the ridge. No trail markings on the trail. Use caution and where good shoes/boots. Do not attempt in rainy conditions.

Really amazing hike. We are a not particularly fit family (14, 12 husband wife) and while it was amazing on the way down, it was difficult but not terrible on the way back. The heights are big but not bone chilling. As long as your are not irrationally scared of heights, it’s fine. Views are to die for. Really spectacular.

SPECTACULAR. One of the most magnificent views of any trail I have ever gone on. The clouds were present for the first 30 minutes but they eventually cleared and we were just awestruck. I am scared of heights and while several moments on the trail you have a steep drop off to the side, it is totally manageable. Make the time for this trek, if you don't do anything else while on Kauai!

extremely beautifull and exciting trail!! extatic panoramic views and breathtaking scenaries!! also adrenaline-pumping trail on the top-line of the mountain.

Spectacular views !! Ideal for panoramic pictures especially if you reach the end of the trail !! Although, I would not recommend if you are afraid of heights.

Took our whole family, kids ages 9-17. While it is slippery and muddy, its a lot of fun. There are a few parts where the edges aren't for the faint of heart. The views are unmatched! Breezes are phenomenal, weather and be hit or miss. I've done this hike several times in sun and clouds. Get pics of the mountain goats!

Awesome views, short hike, not as hard as people say. Did it with my teenagers, we took plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, the trail is well maintained, make sure you make it to the end.

This trail was awsome! If you have fear of heights, it is pretty steep! The view is amazing all the way down! I suggest to wear hiking shoes! Go to the end, it’s really beautiful! You have to go to the end, it is rewarding!