Kalepa Ridge Trail

Kalepa Ridge Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Difficult trail along Kalepa Ridge above the Kalalau Valley in Kokee St. This park features spectacular views.

6 minutes ago

Stunning hike along the ridge line - keep heading right to the end (past the first ‘picnic’ spot) for the best view along the coast.

Simply the best views imaginable. most people we saw going down had flip flops on, would recommend proper shoes. the trail is right on the ridge in many places so if you aren't a sure-footed hiker maybe just stay at the lookout where the trail begins.

Awesome hike!

10/4/17 — This will end up a top five hike in my lifetime. It's short (in distance, not time), but the views are some of the best in the world. If you're scared of heights, this probably isn't the best idea. At times you are walking on the edge of the world. If the weather starts to turn a bit during the hike, think about waiting it out. We experiences sunshine, rain, more sunshine, mist, and everything in between. You don't need poles or proper hiking boots as the terrain isn't technical. Athletic shoes will work.

Beautiful! Sketchy areas forsure and would not recommend if you haven’t hiked before. The views are amazing.

We started it at the Kalalua lookout...which was probably why it was so treacherous so quicklu

Terrifying. Only do if you want to risk your life. I ended up turning back after ten minutes. Extremely dangerous. You have been warned...

This was the most payoff for the least effort I have ever experienced on a hike. I had debated driving all the way back for this hike after experiencing a lengthy whiteout the day before - I'm so glad I followed my gut. Like others have stated, go early. I began at 8:30am and got a spectacular show of rising clouds around 10am. When you reach the firepits and it looks steep to reach the last hill, don't hesitate. The view from the last ridge, overlooking the beach, is worth the extra bit of climbing.

I would not recommend doing this hike in the rain, however if you are an intermediate to experienced hiker, you'll have no issue on this hike. Have shoes with traction for the mud, watch where you step, and use three-point-touch (as per usual). There is nothing scary about this trail, just gasps of amazement.

We were a mixed crew of experience but Jeramiah our guide coaxed is along and it was spectacular. Our 32 year old son- in - law said it was the hardest hike he’s ever done but worth the 10 hour flight from NYC.

Awesome trail. It’s short enough you don’t have to take a ton of crap. It can easily be done just carrying a water bottle. We did take some food though and ate it at the end. A perfect place to have lunch. Its not an easy trail but it’s only two miles out and back. I would say the hardest part about it was the long drive to the viewpoint/trailhead. A couple of people we passed were wearing flip flops but it was pretty dry when we went. I’m sure if there has been any moisture at all it would be harder but it could be ten times harder and the views would still be worth it. I’m not great with heights. I wouldn’t go bungee jumping or sky diving or anything but at no point on this trail was I uncomfortable with the drops on either side. Whatever is holding you back, the drive, the heights, the hard rating. Just tough through it for this one. You won’t regret it.

Beautiful views! Definitely worth the short hike. Go early to beat the clouds. They started rolling in about 9:30 in the morning.

Definietly a couple more of the “if I misstep, I’m gonna die a horrible death” spots on this trail than some of the other trails at the top but had a blast though with some great views. Got on the trail around 8am and while it was foggy/cloudy all the way up the canyon this trail was clear. Trail was a bit wet but wasn’t bad at all.

Unreal

One of the best trails considering how short it is. It’s probably my favorite perspective of Kalalau, standing at the edge of box canyon. You can look straight down the sheer 3000ft cliff. It’s steep in some places and definitely slipper when wet. You will be holding onto trees and roots for some assistance in a couple spots but it’s nothing that bad. It can be suffocatingly hot and humid when there’s no breeze in the summer and can be cold, in the mid 50s and windy in the winter. Be careful standing on the edge. I saw someone slip and almost fall in.

Amazing views throughout! The trail definitely has some tricky parts where the descent is steep and you have to get a little dirty but that’s all part of the fun. Trail seemed little known and lightly trafficked. Well worth it!

One of the best hikes on Kauai. Amazing views of the Kalalau Valley. The climb offers a great sense of adventure, it is narrow and steep at times though so be careful when muddy. Multiple different types of terrain along the trail and numerous viewing points that offer different perspectives on the Valley. At the very end of the hike you are able to see along the Nāpali to Ke’e beach and to the other side you can see the Honopu ridge and valley. Going before midday is the safest bet, we went one afternoon only to find the entire valley in white out. Going early the following day we had perfect weather. Definitely worth it!

Beautiful views!! The entrance is to the left of the Kalalau Lookout sign. The trail was dry for the most part (hasn’t rained in ~5 days), but I definitely wouldn’t go if it has rained recently because there are some very steep and slippery parts. It wasn’t too difficult, but like others have mentioned just don’t do anything stupid and you’ll be fine! Definitely not for children though.

We loved this trail. I’m 41, above average condition. Hiked a bit, but by no means what I would call “a lot”. The views are spectacular all along the path. Mind blowingly spectacular. The trail is not that challenging from a physical fitness perspective, but very challenging from a “whoa, if I slip I’m not going to sprain my ankle, I’m going to die” perspective. I was genuinely scared once. Got through it and was thrilled the rest of the hike. We had crystal clear weather at around 11am and the trail was pretty dry. Totally do it, but don’t underestimate it. That said, I saw a guy out there in birkenstocks so maybe I’m just a chicken. Ha!

little risky when it's raining but worth the views. Best time to hike is sunrise

Awesome Tail! I’m featured in the first picture! Find me in the picture, I’m wearing a green shirt just about to walk on the ledge

Awesome trail with stunning views! It was challenging after several days of rain, very muddy and slippery. Definitely a must do!

Nice and short. Not difficult if you have good hiking shoes.

Amazing views the whole hike not just a view at the end.

Amazing views the whole way. I'd seriously advise against doing this if it's going to rain, or just rained. Super steep, muddy sections that could be a problem when wet. Other than that - DO IT.

Great hike with a breathtaking view !

I don’t think I have ever been more happy with such a short hike. So breathtakingly beautiful. The first part is steep downhill and then it levels off. This is rated “hard”.... but my 12 year old and my husband and I did this in flip flops. It was a dry day... if the trail was muddy I would have called it moderate. There were a few “holy crap that’s far down” moments, but if you are not stupid and are fairly active, you’ll be fine. Gorgeous gorgeous rewards for such a short trip.

My favorite hike!

stunning!

Such a good hike, perfect length, perfect difficulty. To be frank, I don't work out, I'm by no means a hiking freak -- and I was FINE. Don't let that "hard" scare you. I will warn you though, it was pretty slippery. I ended up doing the whole thing barefoot for better traction.

Beautiful! Maybe the most. But watch your step, it's a long way down.