Kalepa Ridge Trail [CLOSED]

Kalepa Ridge Trail [CLOSED] is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

closed

This is an unauthorized trail. It is an access route for local hunters. Hike at your own risk. Difficult trail along Kalepa Ridge above the Kalalau Valley in Kokee St. This park features spectacular views.

Best hike of my entire trip to Kauai! Amazing 360 degree views on this thrilling hike. Not for those with a fear of heights whatsoever! Watched the sunrise and enjoyed every step of the way on this trail. Good views the entire way and not too strenuous of a trail at all, just a little intimidating walking on the edge of such steep cliffs. Overall, 10/10.

Finished today. its closed but still accessible. A worth while breathtaking hike.

TRAILHEAD: Alright, go to the lookout, and to the LEFT of the green fence, there is another fence saying this trail is closed, dangerous, etc. So that's the trailhead, it's nice of them to indicate it - just jump the fence. And be careful.

Probably the best hike around there - great view all along the way! Can get muddy, so don't be that stupid person getting stuck and needing rescue. Not a hard trail at all, but don't go when it rains (anyway, you wouldn't get a good view). Assume that it will be slick/slippery/muddy and prepare accordingly. Now, with that being said, be careful and all, but it's by no mean an "extreme" hike. People here saying it's the worse they have ever done really need to calm down (or go hike some real hard ones).. Also, the worse spots were ALWAYS where slipping wouldn't be such a big deal (aka not on those narrow ridges). Finally, despite being "closed", the trail is clearly maintained. Still, just don't be that person falling off the cliff...cause you'd have a bad day.

This is an unauthorized trail. there is a fence and warning signs. -1 star. Not a long trail but has very steep parts along a cliff that could be bad if rainy or if there was a crowd or if you are a beginner or have bad knees. If you have hiking skills and the weather is reasonable and you are willing to ignore signs and hop a fence, this is an amazing trail. Amazing on top of the world views. I saw a Billy goat family wundering what I was doing on their trail.

Beautiful hike. There are parts that feel sketchy but be super careful and you'll be fine. Best views of the canyon and cost (especially with a portion of the island closed off from flooding). Highly recommend.

The best hike we’ve been on so far! A little sketchy in some spots, definitely in the difficult range...well at least for us (newbies). Views like no other and definitely worth it. It was overcast skies and drizzled most of the hike. Conditions were wet and very muddy, slippery in some spots.

Fantastic hike. Would highly suggest proper shoes. Definitely a hard hike in my point of view

Amazing hike, short but with stunning views the whole way down!!!! Yep, some areas are a little sketchy but with some sturdy boots and common sense you will be just fine. I can imagine that if there was more rain the night before it would be quite muddy. We did have a lot of gnats love on us at the end viewpoint! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Truly spectacular. My favorite hike on Kauai.

This trail probably has the best views of any trail in the area. However, please be extremely careful. My wife and I have a great deal of hiking experience around the world. The way down on this trail is by far the most slippery we have experienced. The area gets fairly consistent drizzle, so I think this will always be an issue. I resorted to crawling or the sit/scoot method in many places that were unnerving and grabbing tree roots and branches for stability on the way down. Found the way back up much easier with the footing. Unlike the other trails in Kokee, you pretty much have views the entire hike.

I would rate this trail as moderate difficult. It is short, the total elevation gain is under 1000 feet. But it is VERY steep in a couple of sections, and pretty muddy/slippery, but not to the point that you will fall as long as you are careful. That is - provided you do it when it has not been raining. The areas that are narrow, have vegetation on each side and do not feel exposed. I suffer from vertigo and can not do scary cliff edges, but this one did not give me any hesitation. I will say, how ever, we did this on a dry day. If this trail is very wet — I would not advise doing it. I also would advise wearing proper hiking shoes no matter what the conditions. We saw several people attempting this hike in flip flops. They quickly turned back. The views are unparalleled — enjoy!

Amazing scenery! Was our first hike in Kauai, and it didn’t not disappoint! It was pretty muddy so prepare to ruin your shoes and you’ll definitely want some trail shoes with good tread. I’m assuming it never really completely dries. Would not attempt if it has been raining recently. Lots of places to fall and trip. Not great for people with fear of heights as there is lots of times where it’s just a shear cliff to both sides of you. Completely amazing and worth it tho. At the very end outcropping is amazing as the sun sets. I would recommend going in the afternoon so you get all the light hitting the Napali coast. Ohh, and yeah, there is a green gate you need to jump at the very beginning but no one really cares.

Possibly the most scenic short hike I’ve ever done

Beautiful, but sketchy at times. Look alive on this one. Would NOT do in the rain. Signs say you should avoid this trail altogether, but wear the right shoes and watch out for the idiots and you should be just fine!

Most insane hike I’ve been on. Best hike in Kauai by far. You have to hop the green fence by the lookout point then it’s kinda steep but wear hiking shoes and you’ll be fine. Got to the end for sunset and went back up in the dark with flashlights! Very raw and powerful landscape.

I would never attempt this hike during or right after the rain—completed it today when it was clear and dry and it was muddy and slick enough!

Don’t take this hike lightly. There were a few spots where I did not trust my holds quite enough and my adrenaline PUMPED! I’m a three points of contact type person when we are talking about sheer cliffs close to the trail and packed, slick ground under my feet—so I did a lot of low to the ground climbing/scooting on the way down and slow intentional climbing on the way back up.

I don’t know if I’d do it again but it was incredible!!! I’m typically a more cautious person, so crampons would have helped immensely. I would have trusted my footing a bit more in that case.

Tried going today (12/7) and the entrance gate is locked. Heard of others hopping the fence to go out but did not attempt.

This hike was tough because of how slippery and muddy it was. The weather in the winter is just unpredictable but it was simply epic... go to the end, even if it’s a bit scary.

Wear hiking shoes or trail runners ... some people were wearing crappy running shoes and were sliding all over. One couple was barefoot and that seemed way better than bad shoes.

But the view from the edge is insane. The clouds would roll in for a few minutes and then open up to see the Napali Coast.

We really wanted to do the Kalalau trail but it’s closed. This was the next best for sure!

Can be tricky in some parts but we saw children and adults in sandals completing the hike-take your time and you should be ok. Really enjoyed it! That being said, if it had been raining I would have avoided this hike that day.

Awesome trail ! Pictures don’t even do this hike justice, best kept secret in Kauai! Don’t go on a cloudy day, wait for a clear day to really see the amazing terrain and helicopters flying BELOW you!

The view is spectacular !

This hike was pretty incredible. I highly recommend it but know that it's a little tricky in some spots. It was definitely slippery when we went. Trekking poles are highly recommended and just take your time. The views were amazing throughout the entire hike.

Epic hike. Definitely a little scary as many points on hike you are on step away from falling off a cliff. Take your time and it’s worth it!

This is an amazing trail, so glad I did it. One of the top hikes i’ve done in awhile. Though short, impressive and beautiful views throughout the hike, so much to see. I saw the warnings about using this trail at the information center about not risking it and somebody had fallen and had to be rescued as previous reviewer said. The trail is completely manageable, first 15 minutes is steepish, use caution especially when muddy and wet, can get slippery going downhill. wear hiking boots and you’re fine. Like others said on here trust and use your judgement and you’ll be fine. It’s a good sweat at times, Never felt like I was in danger, this trail may fry a few nerves for those who don’t hike often.

I'm writing this as a warning -- I was going to do this trail, but today when we visited the museum nearby, there was a sign up warning visitors about this trail. Please be aware that this trail is NOT meant for hiking and isn't kept as a hiking trail; a lot of it is overgrown and it's hard to see where you could fall through. Someone fell just last week and had to be rescued.

Basically, although people may say it's worth it, just be smart. There are plenty of other amazing trails in this park.

Best bang for your buck on napali coast views

Super muddy but well worth it. Most of these reviews will cover what to expect (views, cliff, climbing). Definitely worth the struggle.

Best hike in Kauai!!! Be carful and wear appropriate shoes. It’s quite hard because slippery. The view is the best.

Unbelievable hike. The views never end and every corner you turn, it's keeps getting better. The finale overlooking the ocean is truly special. A bit muddy as you're weaving through some wooded areas, but well worth it. This one takes some beating, anywhere in the world!

Me and my wife did this hike today!!! EPIC!!! Don’t let the rain fool you. Once you get out on the ridge, the clouds cleared up and we saw some of the best views. This hike is definitely doable... but it is very slippery. I would definitely recommend wearing hiking boots. This is the best hike in the park! The end of it is pretty sketchy, especially because it was wet. Just go slow and use your judgment. I will definitely do this one again!!!