Kalepa Ridge Trail

Kalepa Ridge Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Difficult trail along Kalepa Ridge above the Kalalau Valley in Kokee St. This park features spectacular views.

Beautiful views! It‘s slippery and a little bit mudy on the way down. Coming back up again is faster and easier. Took us about one hour to go down and 40 minutes back up (including water and picture breaks).

I hiked this trail last week!! It was really muddy in the beginning, but it got better after the initial steep downhill! Just be careful! There were amazing views the entire way! It was a bit difficult, so I wouldn't recommend it to inexperienced hikers, but I think that anyone who knows what they're doing should definitely do this hike!!! It wasn't as scary as it was made out to be in some of these reviews, but there are some parts where the trail is thin.
We saw some mountain goats so keep your eyes peeled! And have fun!

We recorded 2.2 miles round trip to the last red dot with 770 ft elevation gain.

If you can handle the mild climb on the way back then I would definitely do this trail, the views are incredible and you don’t have to get too close to the edge if you don’t want to.

Incredible views of the canyon throughout hike. We recorded 2.3 miles rt and 1,000 ft elevation change. Good footing all the way so exposure to extreme drop offs not so bad. Recommend good hiking gear. Poles very helpful.

A must particularly if weather is clear. Probably the earlier in the day the better. Take water and take your time out and back. Hard rating is fair.

This trail is awesome if you want spectacular views. It is very challenging on the climbs and decents. Best hike I've ever done.

Gorgeous views- worth the steep inclines. There is a place to camp near the beginning/middle of the trail. Make sure to wear proper hiking boots. The girls in front of us had tennis shoes and were sliding all over the place. One finally took them off and the rest had to crawl with their hands. If you have sensitive skin make sure to wear long pants or capris because the cut back ferns are scratchy when the trail narrows at the end. This trail can get muddy after a rain and is fairly narrow so I’d suggest going after a couple dry days. Bring lots of water and make sure to save it for your trip back.

Nice hike! Did it around noon and didn't have any troubles with clouds. Fairly steep at portions, and quite narrow some places as well. If you take your time and don't rush, it's a great hike. Weather was dry when I did it, so it wasn't too muddy either.

Hiked this trail yesterday. Very muddy at the start, but got better further into the hike. The views are well worth it. Best hike I’ve had on Kauai.

Great hike. Trail is steep but wasn’t too slick even with the misting rain we had. Great views. Saw some mountain goats.

Great trail! I opted not to take my 2yr old in a carrier, probably a good choice. The footing can be slick in places and you are very close to the edge. I’d only pack a child in if you are an experienced hiker and baby wearer, and your sure your kiddo doesn’t have any issue/fear of heights. Great views! Great Breeze! Just do it!

Amazing hike for how short of a trail this is. My wife and I (both 25 years old) started this hike around 8:30-9 AM. Couldn't imagine doing the trail without a hiking stick and hiking boots as the initial part of the trail is steep and muddy. However, there were several others on the trail in tennis shoes and no hiking stick, so do as you please. Fog rolled in heavy and almost had us abandoning the hike, but it did eventually clear up. The views at the end of the trail are spectacular plus we saw several mountain goats alongside the cliff walls! You do not need a guide for this trail.

Very cool! Now in my 5-top ever! Beutifull!

Easily one of the best hikes I've ever completed. Absolutely breathtaking views and although it's challenging I'd recommend to try and complete as much of the trail as your comfortable with.

One of the best hikes i’ve ever been on!

On my list of top three outdoor experiences! So breathtakingly beautiful! Also terrifyingly steep. My husband and I are 26 and not afraid of heights. I would never take children or a dog (though I know some have said they did). The foot wide trail was sometimes two feet from a cliff hundreds of yards down. You never know when the ground could give way even when you're being careful. We went maybe 50 yards from the very very end of the trail and we saw a mountain goat on a peak near us. So so neat. We made our best goat impersonations and the goat bleated back at us. We didn't see anyone after we passed the grassy field. I recommend highly to only very experienced hikers and people not afraid of heights who are being extra careful and hiking with a buddy. I read online that this trail was intended more for hunters (goats and birds) than for hikers but I don't know if the source was credible. Trail did not have an official sign and started at the Kalalau Valley Lookout (must go through a gate).

Amazing view! One of the most gorgeous coastline I have ever seen! First quarter of the trail was a little steep with big steps, but the rest of the trail was a lot easier. Totally worth the hike :)

Amazing views. We took our 8, 6 and 2 years old. The 2 year old was in a carrier. I don't recommend taking children unless they are seasoned hikers and not prone to panicking. Mine did well but we hike alot. Lots of steep stuff And packed mud. It's downhill the first half and uphill the second half so keep that in mind as well.

Best trail I’ve ever been on. It was beautiful!

Beautiful, short, unmarked Koke'e option. We came across this trail when we were at the Kalalau lookout and saw a couple with their tiny dog emerge from an opening in the fence. They were wearing normal tennis shoes and they didn't look exhausted or muddy, so we decided it must not be too bad. Three hours later (lots of pictures) we were finished. Much more strenuous than I was expecting due to it being steep. The trail is obvious and the views are amazing. The lookout is so worth it and it was not too crowded. We went on a very cloudy day so we didn't get the full views, but the clouds made the ridges seem all the more massive. This trail is quite steep and I can see it being slick with more mud. I recommend hiking shoes and a pole. Most of the trail was very cool and shaded. There are two definite clearings to chill and relax along the way. Beautiful, satisfying hike!

Beautiful hike on a clear day! The trail is steep and muddy at times with steep drop offs, so perhaps not suitable for the very young or very old.

Absolutely amazing hike. Listen to the other reviews and bring boots and poles, or you will regret it. I went in tennis shoes and my friend had to give me one of her boots because I was sliding all over the place. Be cautious as there are some large drop offs, but nothing crazy dangerous as long as your careful. We saw a family of goats! We left the Kalalau lookout at 7am and got to the end around 8:15am. We had the vista all to ourselves until we headed back at 9:30am. Around then the fog started to roll in, and so did the other people. We probably saw 15 people or so on our way back. I definitely recommend hitting the trail early because being at the end alone is pure magic. Hike out is way easier than the hike in even though it’s uphill. Overall, amazing hike 10/10 would recommend!

Really incredible views. Short distance but took us about 1:30 & had to scramble a couple times. We had great weather but I would NOT recommend doing this in the rain. Still- even though it’s a ridge trail you never feel like you could slip one way and that’s it.

Stunning hike along the ridge line - keep heading right to the end (past the first ‘picnic’ spot) for the best view along the coast.

Simply the best views imaginable. most people we saw going down had flip flops on, would recommend proper shoes. the trail is right on the ridge in many places so if you aren't a sure-footed hiker maybe just stay at the lookout where the trail begins.

Awesome hike!

10/4/17 — This will end up a top five hike in my lifetime. It's short (in distance, not time), but the views are some of the best in the world. If you're scared of heights, this probably isn't the best idea. At times you are walking on the edge of the world. If the weather starts to turn a bit during the hike, think about waiting it out. We experienced sunshine, rain, more sunshine, mist, and everything in between. You don't need poles or proper hiking boots as the terrain isn't technical. Athletic shoes will work.

Beautiful! Sketchy areas forsure and would not recommend if you haven’t hiked before. The views are amazing.

We started it at the Kalalua lookout...which was probably why it was so treacherous so quicklu

Terrifying. Only do if you want to risk your life. I ended up turning back after ten minutes. Extremely dangerous. You have been warned...