Kalawahine Trail

Kalawahine Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Honolulu: From Makiki Heights Drive, go uphill on Tantalus Drive. When you get close to the top, just after going over a narrow bridge, look for the trailhead on the left. It will be adjacent to a private road, going uphill. Park in the parking area on the right just past the trailhead.

Made it almost all the way to the K2 summit on 7/4 but it was pretty cloudy and a few of us didn’t feel comfortable making the last climb of the hike. The whole thing was really pretty but definitely some slippery spots - the trail did give way on one of the really narrow parts and I took a tumble about five feet down the side of the mountain but was able to dig my fingers in and stop myself. If you’re going to hike in Hawaii, don’t wear tennis shoes. Everything is muddy. I immediately ordered real hiking shoes and have been fine ever since.

good hike with a few different environment to enjoy. cloudy at the top, so can't speak to the view. relatively ~1.5 hour side jaunt over to moanalua falls from trail

Took this trail to K2 summit, about 9 Miles out and back. The weather was great yesterday 12/4. However, with the rain from the days prior, some areas of the trail past 2 Miles were very very soft. The trail isn’t too overgrown and I was still able to find the trail all the way up. Wore a tank top, regular trail shoes and board shorts. The dry ferns will get at your shins and legs but not too bad. Bring 3L of water, snacks and a selfie stick. The views up top are amazing. Luckily, there wasn’t much clouds. Would definitely do this one again and cross over to K1, but I didn’t have enough time.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Saturday, March 11, 2017

We got lost, but it was Ana absolutely gorgeous hike through a bamboo grove.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

This was one of prettiest hikes I have done so far. It's pretty easy, but the trail keeps splitting up in different directions. I don't know what k2 people are talking about here. The part we did took about 2 hours and we could have taken our dog. Wasn't muddy that day either.

Monday, December 19, 2016

It was a nice trail, pretty easy heading towards pauoa trail. The climb up k2 is definitely a tough one me and my buddy werent able to make it to the top

Monday, December 19, 2016

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Did some trail running, the Kalawahine trail by itself is only 1.3 miles long. What is being shown on the map is a combination of Kalawahine, half of Pauoa flats, and the climb to the top of K2. Be aware that i counted 4 downed trees on this trail yesterday, with 2 at a dangerous angle/could continue to slide down. Whenever the downed trees are taken care of, the trail should be considered easy with a caveat that it is frequently muddy and slippery most days.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Good views at the end and lots of trail connections.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Followed 2e's recommendations for the intersecting trails to Manoa Falls. The Puoua flats part of the hike was my favorite with all the bamboo! Plenty of tree cover to stay cool through out the hike. Took us about 4 hours total with a few brisk breaks & a quick lunch at the falls.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I've done this hike a few times. Very well kept due to it being a state trail. I would still rate it moderate because it is fairly long considering which trails you take. If you stay on the trail you'll get to the flats trail and there are many more trails but if you stay to the right you'll end up at Manoa falls. If you take the cliff trail and stay right you'll end up at the service road from the beginning of the hike. Definitely worth exploring all the trails back there. Also the flats hike is a loop. Sorry if this didn't make too much sense... Great hike for sure!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

I wanted to go to Manoa Falls but was looking for a longer hike and stumbled upon Kalawahine (formerly known as Manoa Cliff Trails and is still referenced as such on the state's map). To start, there is a very small "parking lot" before you go over the bridge to get to the trail head if you're coming up Tantalus. If you Google map the trail, it may take you to Telephone Road which, as others have said, runs adjacent to the trail head. Do not go up Telephone Rd! I got a late start and by the time I arrived at 9:30 a.m. I had to make my own parking spot by parking somewhere on the road. There is no official parking lot (and no bathrooms). The drive up Tantalus was gorgeous but I wouldn't navigate it at night as there are very many sharp turns. On the trail, it was easy going. Mostly flat the entire way but muddy with loose rocks on some parts and tree roots on others. It's a narrow trail (single file) with vegetation on both sides and the lovely smell of ginger flowers. When there is a break in the vegetation is when you can get a glimpse of the view below. I'm a big fan of trees and plants so there was a lot to take in for me. There are many off shoot trails from Kalawahine so I am pretty sure the map on AllTrails is referring to Kalawahine + Pauoa Flats Trail. To get to Manoa Falls from Kalawahine, follow the trail until you get to the junction with Pauoa Flats, make a left here (Kalawahine ends here). If you go right, you end up going to Manoa Cliff. Follow Pauoa Flats until you get to the junction with Aihualama. If you continue on Pauoa Flats you will reach the summit where you can see the Nuuanu Reservoir. Take Aihualama Trail if you want to go to Manoa Falls. It's about 1.5 miles all downhill...which means when you turn around you will get that elevation gain you didn't get at the beginning of your hike. Fitbit told me I went 79 floors from Manoa Falls back to the Aihualama/Pauoa Flats junction. On Pauoa and Aihualama you pass through a bamboo forest. Be prepared for rain and lots of mud. My absolute favorite part of the trail was about 15 minutes from Manoa Falls you see three very large banyan trees and you can hear them creak with the wind. At first I thought it was a bird making the noise. This review encompasses things I wish I knew before I made the trek as I am very new to Hawaii and hiking. I idiotically thought Kalawahine would take me straight to Manoa Falls and after wandering in the wrong direction twice, I ended up hiking 7 miles...which is more than I intended. I had a blast the entire way though and would go back on this trail to explore some more.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great views!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

decent hike over all. it was pretty muddy and there is lots of roots which I don't like. bamboo forests were awesome. several forks for dofferent trails, we went to manoa falls

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

It was great but no fuckin guava

Sunday, May 10, 2015

I like this trail as the access point to the trail system that goes up to K2 and K1... Trail picks up off of Tantalus drive right after the one lane bridge, you can see the trailhead sign on the left and then park along the road on the left side as well as you drive up from town.

Monday, February 09, 2015

I accidentally did this trail, having been unsuccessful at finding the Puu Ohia Trail after a day of hiking from Manoa Falls (via Aihualama and Pauoa Flats), and I am so glad I did. It is not difficult, it calmly snakes along hugging the sides of the valley. Very near to the beginning/end, Tantalus Dr, there is a bench overlooking the valley and you can see the city and ocean in the distance. It is close enough to the trailhead that it makes for a spectacular sunset spot and can easily get to the road before it actually gets dark. I would recommend having a car to get down though, as I wound up walking the ~3miles down Tantalus Dr in the dark. But that view of the sunset was entirely worth it.