Ka'ena Point Trail (from South)

Ka'ena Point Trail (from South) is a 9.0 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

9 km
135 m

paddle sports

beach

Be careful leaving valuables in your car. Bathrooms located at the Waianae side, back up at the beach some mile east of Mokuleia's parking lot.

bridge out

It is a great trail for people who likes walking by the ocean. I am mostly a forest person so I did not enjoy it much. The trail is very easy people were walking with flip flops.

Scenic hike along the coastline, easy trail to follow, bit rocky at a few points but all in all easy for everyone! There is no shade the entire way, maybe one or two places to rest with little shade but otherwise, come prepared with sun protection and plenty of water! The tide pools at the loop of the trail were incredible. I HIGHLY recommend taking a dip into one of them to relax and cool off! Its almost like having your own private pool! Then venture around where the Albatross live (from afar of course, as it is roped off). They are a very cool looking bird! Huge eyes, wide wing span, never seen them before but they did fly around and got close enough to us at one point where my boyfriend had to duck down to avoid getting in its way!

Took my wife and daughter on this path. We went slow, tracing the coast line on the way out for approx 60 mins, then turned around and used the primary “trail” on the way back. The “trail” is basically a road - ranging from gravel to a dirt road with lots of large pot holes. If they allowed it, taking a 4x4 would be a lot of fun.

The scenery is beautiful. Ocean, with huge crashing waves on one side, soaring, green mountains on the other.

The path is not hard at all. Saw lots of little kids.

If you want to appreciate the north shore waves, do this hike. Plus, plenty of parking.

Not much shade. In the bird sanctuary you will see seals sunbathing.

my family's favorite.

amazing hike with a great view! also nice sunset.

amazing hike with kids.

Muddy start at 9 am but it was fairly dry by the time I got out around 11:30. There’s an albatross nesting on the trail when you get to Kaena Point. Probably the closest you could see one. Lots of others nesting in the distance. There are areas where the trail narrows to one person and you will have to climb up some rocks. Bring sunscreen and water as it gets pretty hot as the sun rises.

Awesome trail and stunning views! Mostly flat elevation wise but lots of rocks on the trail. Our two kids, 4 and 5, did just fine but we are regular hikers (ours kids have probably done 30-40 hikes this year). With some reviewers saying not to bring kids I was nervous but we had an amazing experience. We saw the monk seals and albatross’ as well as some marine life in the tide pools. So much fun!! It was definitely hot and lots of water and sunscreen are a must. Don’t miss out on this hike!

fantastic views! it took us just over 3 hours to go to the point and back. the color contrast between the sky and the water and rocks was amazing, even on an overcast day. If you go on a sunny day, bring lots of water and wear a hat and sunscreen-- there is no shade on this trail.

Relatively flat, long trail with amazing vistas similar to Big Sur. Seals sunbathe on the point. We did not round the corner to the north end of the island. This trail is an amazing natural break from the hustle and bustle of Oahu. No shade.

I did this one coming in from the north on Ka'ena Point Via Farrington Hwy. The combined hike, round trip is approximately 10 Miles Great views and lost of photo opportunities on the Ka'ena Point Trail (from South) well worth the hike. There are a few places along the hike where the trail has been washed away but there is still ways to get around.

Recommendations for this one is, if you are going to combine both Ka'ena Point Trail (from South) and Ka'ena Point Via Farrington Hwy bring lost of water and snacks. If you are doing the Ke'ena Point Trail (from south) only and head out late in the day late bring a head lamp otherwise you may find yourself just walking off the path and standing in the ocean.

The Hawaiian Monk seals do frequently rest on the rocky shorelines. There are also a series of caves and tunnels below the pillboxes at the tip of the point.

One of my favorite trails in Oahu. Parked at the end of the paved road at 7:00am on a slightly overcast morning and started my walk. I didn't see anyone on my walk to the point-- but I was stopped by a wild black pig! I climbed a rock to let her pass and continued on.

The trail is a flattened dirt path. Some spots were wet and muddy but you can easily walk around. It goes along a crumbling coastline with some very beautiful views. At the end you are rewarded with sand dunes that gently slope into a rocky shoreline with many tidal pools. There are nesting albatross in the dunes. Others have seen sea lions on the rocks- I did not.

I love how secluded this spot. I will go back someday.

Me and my pal did it a while back on cross country bikes would definitely avoid that one section that had a sandy path to the look out tower we didn’t stand a chance in the sand. It was so how I had two water bottles and we ran out before half way go early avoid the sun wear proper attire cause it’s HOT

Wonderful hike, but it's more like a walk. No shades so it's better on a cloudy or cooler day. Be sure to put your sunscreen on, hats, shades, and plenty water is a must. We walked to the tip of the island, then we walked all the way to the North shore parking lot, and then we followed the metal fence back down to the Waianae side parking lot. We saw the ground nesting birds and seals at the tip.

Nice, easy walk flat trail with mud and rocks. Scenery is beautiful there were seals sunbathing and birds.

Good flat long trail for running or nature walk for the sea cliffs. Pay off is good if you like animals.

Did this trek on Saturday, 10/6. Flat trail with some serious mud holes. Jeep Wranglers and other 4WD vehicles were on the trail as well. The trail goes along the coast and the views are spectacular. Only one section where you had to go uphill because the trail/road had fallen into the sea.

One of my favorite trails on island. Gorgeous views of the mountains and ocean and lots of wildlife. You can see albatross at the end of the hike during mating season, and their babies a few months later. Usually an opportunity to see monk seals at the end, and in winter I have often seen whales breaching offshore around sunset.

Beautiful coastal and mountain views!! Easy hike.

Flat easy trail with amazing coastal views the entire way! Once you reach the point at the end there's a fence you pass and a sanctuary full of birds.

We parked at the beach near the trail road, I heard there have been break ins so keep your valuables on you.

Easy trail. Gets hot and a little crowded but nice views.

The most beautiful coastal view hike I’ve done so far! We saw a school of dolphins, it was so amazing! There’s lots of tide pools at the end that you can climb down the rocks and swim in. The trail was about 6 miles round trip and it took us about 3 hours with a few stops. The terrain is dirt and sand, low incline, just a few hills. Try to go earlier in the day when it’s not super hot like we did! Bring lots of water to drink and use sunblock!

This is a long walk but there are some very interesting views of the coast line and rock formations in the early part of the hie. The end point is this really neat animal sanctuary with TONS of birds that don't seem to mind you approaching closely. The trek back was during the sunset (leave about 45 mins for this part of the walk) and provided spectacular views the entire way home.

I was not prepared for this. I did no research before going and did not have the proper footwear. That said, it was amazing. We saw whales, seals, coral beaches, and great views. The beach at the start was moderately busy. We made it back to the beach by sunset and watched it on the beach. It was New Years Eve and the fireworks during the drive home were insane. Oahu takes their new years fireworks seriously.

Stunning views! Be prepared to endure the heat along this very scenic shoreline hike, because there is little of no shade. As you walk through the Ka’ena Point Area National Reserve beyond the stretch of sand dunes with birds nesting, you may encounter seals resting in one of the many shoreline pools. Besides packing a sufficient amount of water and a snack or two, you also may want to bring along your swimsuit, as you may need to cool off in one yourself before you head back. Easy hike if you can endure the heat.

We got a late start, so even with our water preparedness, we only hiked part of the route. The views we did see were pretty!

Side note: even though there appeared to be plenty of other tourists in the area we did feel somewhat uncomfortable leaving our rental car and belongings for a long period of time due to some shenanigans when we pulled into the park.

Easy and stunning ! Bring some water and I suggest to start before 11 o’clock because the sun hit hard!