Honolua Bay Access Trail

Honolua Bay Access Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kapalua, Hawaii that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and surfing and is accessible year-round.

surfing

beach

cave

Yesterday the beach was effectively closed for all activities except for surfing. Local park person stated the sharks come into the bay whenever it is brown due to rain runoff. And it sure was brown in the whole bay. I don't think you would have seen your hands on front of your face. There were a lot of papayas on the trees heading to the beach. Just need to learn how to climb those trees!

This is a nature walk through a tropical area. There are many vines, beautiful trees, and tons of chickens! I enjoyed the walk very much.

Today something happened that left me completely speechless, devastated, and in tears. I could not believe it today when I was taking my friends, who are in town, to see the Honolua Bay jungle to find that it was destroyed. There was nothing left but the piercing skeleton of what it once was; of what I once loved. As I walked in the usual opening I began to comment and notice that the foliage was greatly cut apart and the trees were cleared back and the sunshine was beaming in like never before. I could not grasp what was happening until I was able to see through, the former dense and abundant forest, straight to the other side. I then found myself in a graveyard of chopped apart trees thrown about to create a shoddy path to the bay. I have spent countless hours in this forest climbing and hammocking in its ancient trees, swinging from vines while reenacting Tarzan, snorkeling in the beautiful bay, and wandering around like a lost boy in Neverland. The magic was gone, the green glow through the jungle’s once dense leaves was faded, and my hope was lost. That jungle brought me so much happiness, joy, and peace. I consider this a death and have been mourning the loss all day. I could not bare to take a picture nor even spend much time in there today because I was so deeply hurt. It is ridiculous to see, first hand, what we are doing to nature. Whether we realize it or not we are all taking part in destroying the earth. We buy plastic, drive cars, kill animals, use paper and furniture without putting much thought into the origin or the result of its being... but those are just a few broad examples. I will never forget this jungle, I have never cried because a tree got cut down, but this is seriously so so wrong. I loved that place. This is the first place I explored when I visited Maui in 2016, this is the first place I came back to when I moved here in 2017, this is the first place I bring anyone who is visiting, this place is my go-to and so very special to me and now it’s nearly gone. I absolutely cannot believe or fathom why or how this could have possibly happened but I am so disappointed and heartbroken.

Super easy walk. Not much of a hike. But kids any age could easily do this. Ends at the beach. Guess lots of people scuba dive there but no one could enter water today as sharks were swimming nearby. Amazing to see sharks. Kids loved all the chickens and baby chicks along the walk.

Not a hike but a beautiful walk to the bay. Absolutely gorgeous and a must see.

This is the most magical trail! I loved every, beautiful step of it! Just stunning!

Beautiful trees down here.

Beautiful trees!

Easy and beautiful! Kids loved the chickens:)

Friday, November 10, 2017

I could have spent all day in here. It looked magical.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

a very easy walk from the parking lot to Honolulu Bay. it is a great place to go for a stroll...

we've done this trail several times during our trips to Maui.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Fun little hike! Very muddy be sure to wear footwear you don’t mind getting muddy.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Very short, simple trail. No need for hiking gear or water bottles (although having a water bottle is always a good idea).

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Easy and stunningly beautiful trail. The end at the bay is stunning.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

So green and lush. Chickens everywhere make it entertaining. Extremely easy walk. Then it opens up to the beautiful Honolua Bay. "Jimmy," greets us under his easy-up who says he's the land owner, tells us to avoid using spray sunscreen, kids should not throw rocks or sticks and best coral was to the right.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Beautiful walk with lots of green

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Shady and short. The big reward is snorkeling at Honolua. The beach is very rocky and not comfortable to hang out on, though.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Pretty cool trail with huge vines and thick vegetation worth checking out.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Great trail

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Watch out for the Mangos

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Good. Beautiful trail with lots of green. Was very easy walk.