Hawaii Loa Ridge Trail (PRIVATE PROPERTY)

Hawaii Loa Ridge Trail (PRIVATE PROPERTY) is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

private property

Beautiful views of the north and south sides of the island. A challenging hike for novice and intermediate level hikers. A beautiful hike in one of the most fanciest neighborhoods in Hawaii. A popular hike among tourists and locals. The trail moves gently along the ridgeline that extends to the Koolau Summit. The stiff climb to the end requires some skill on a rope. Parking is in a gated community, so be ready to show your HAWAII ID and have all the people in your car sign in.

The hike took us 1:45 to reach the summit, and another 1:45 to descend. The hike begins in a gated community with beautiful houses - show your Hawaii drivers license to the guard and he will issue you a hiking permit for the day.

Overall, the hike is pretty comparable to Kuliiuou and Wililinui. The hardest part is the final ascent to the end. Definitely wear sturdy hiking boots, as the footing is uneven, rocky, and at times slick and muddy. Great views!

Great hike with great views.

Excellent trail, just the right amount of scenery and exercise.

4.2 mile out and back. Great workout at the end. Some stairs but no ropes. Some washed out steps due to last heavy rains. Bring water, snacks, micro spikes and rain gear. Shorts ok as trail in great shape.

Great views even though we were stuck in a cloud at the top. Really fun hike. Slippery in a few spots.

2.5 hours to complete for us. We trail ran the first part of it and again on the way out. We had to do it twice because the view was of a cloud our first time. There were raspberries up top to eat, yum! A few rope portions and stairs as well. Definitely moderately rated. One of my favorite hikes!

Amazing trail with beautiful views! To access the trail you must go through a gated neighborhood. The guards wouldn't let us in until sunrise, must have Hawaii or military ID. There is a parking lot across the street if you get there early. Only 10 cars are allowed at a time. No restroom on the trail! we did it after a few days of rain so it was really muddy and slippery. it was pretty cloudy but i can imagine it getting really hot. Took my 14yo nephew and my 1yr puppy. The beginning of the trail is easy but by the end it got tougher because of all the stairs.
-High Moderate on my rating scale
-Did not see or use ropes
-Bring doggy poop bags because there isn't a doggy poop station (bags or trash can)
-Bring water, bug spray, and sunscreen
-Water for dog

First time hiking this and it was beautiful!! The views were stunning and living in cali for the past year has made me really miss the green

Great hike you will be worked out after this. 10lbs JRT did it like a champ, but was limping up the stairs when we got home .....annnndd he's passed out on the dog bed.

One of the best hikes we did on Oahu, and we did many. We saw just a few people and enjoyed this trail much. Mostly, you will have an amazing view. It was a quite normal moderate level. No dangerous parts on the way, just many steps in the end.

Definitely highly recommend!

On thanksgivng day we decided to hike up to the koolau range via the Hawaii Loa ridge trail. It was very windy and cool the entire time. Unfortunately, there are many dog poop along the trail esp the first section.

Good hike, great views!

Great views from the peak!

I was looking for Wiliwilinui ridge trail but found this one by mistake. It was awesome hike.

Be sure to arrive early if want to do this hike, especially if it is a weekend...there is only 10 passes (cars) at the gate to do the hike at any given time. One of the easier hikes that end at the KST (Koolau Summit Trail). Think there was a couple ropes, but they not needed. Very well maintained path with alot of steps near the top.

Totally awesome hike! Be prepared to climb some steep "stairs" towards the end!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

So amazing we have brought friends on the hike several times. Our 2 and 3 year old kids did great - I wouldn't recommend kids though there are a lot if areas to use ropes :) even on a Cloudy day the view is amazing.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Gentle ascent, mostly under tree cover to start. The last part is exposed and ascends fairly steeply. Pretty views of both sides of the island from the top.

Monday, May 01, 2017

loved this trail. lots to see and wasnt to hard to complete.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

It was cloudy when I got to the top, so didn't get to see the view :(
The section at the end is more challenging than expected. And my gps said it was closer to 4.5 miles, not 3.9.
Also worth mentioning, you park in a gated community, so be ready to show your id and have all the people in your car sign in.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Great trail with spectacular view. Last 1/4 mile is more hard than moderate. Just as a warning

Friday, February 10, 2017

First hiking for me. Awesome views

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Amazing views

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Loved this hike spectacular views all the way up.

Monday, November 07, 2016

What a rewarding hike! Takes at least half a day if you stop a lot to enjoy the views and take pics along the way...breathtaking! One of the least muddy of all the trails I've done lately but there are plenty of steps at the top! Totally worth every step!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Such a beautiful hike with amazing views! If it looks like it's going to rain, it will! We hiked in the pouring rain & towards the summit it got sketchy. Bring spikes & hiking stick if you have!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

They wouldn't let me in to hike, because I didn't have a Hawai'i ID. I gave them my University of Hawai'i Faculty/Staff ID, as well as my South Carolina Driver's License, but it wasn't good enough. I even had my 5yr old daughter with me. Lame.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Fun hike with beautiful views!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Well maintained hike with a beautiful view.

Friday, June 10, 2016