Hauula Loop Trail

Hauula Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Hau`ula Loop Trail is located near Hau'ula, Hawaii. The trail is great for hiking or trail running and normally takes around an hour. This trail is probably the lesser used Na Ala Hele trails, and with lots of shade, it's a good one to do any time, any season.

I live here and run this trail weekly. It’s a good, steady climb for running.

Pretty forest trail, saw no other hikers that day

Easy hike at 2.5 miles. My friend's 4 year old walked it. It has a couple of small streams and waterfalls, and through-the-trees views of the ocean.

Great views of the mountains. Little muddy so if it’s raining it’s probably not a good choice

As a hiker just starting out this hike was perfect..4km..a mix of tropical environment and then areas blanketed in pine...and stunning views!

Easy hike, great for the kids.

1st - parking is in a residential area, so be respectful. A local resident advised where to park...by the bridge. The hike starts out on a paved access road then you'll see the brown trail marker along the right, actually two. Once on the trail, the tree cover is quite nice and there are lots of birds to see and hear. It does have steady inclines and declines so be prepared. Also, there's a sign marking go left for hiking in and right for those hiking out.

Great hike with the family.

This hike had some great views of the mountainous areas and there were some mini waterfalls! It was quite muddy but nothing too treacherous! I would recommend parking in the neighborhood near the trailhead rather than at the Hau'ula beach park.

Very muddy in the beginning but then it's amazing how you go from rainforest to Christmas tress to an ocean view!

pretty sure this trail is longer than 2.5 miles. Beautiful variety of flora and foreat types, no one else there except our family. fantasy like forests and great views along the ridge

So so lovely. Every turn took our breath away. Hiked May 24, 2017

FYI if you take the left turn at the fork you get a bit more of a workout going up the mountain at a steeper incline.

Great hike! Did with both my children 2 and 9 months in baby carriers along with our dog! Great view as well! Perfect for beginners!

little difficult to find.
go past the yellow rail at the end of the street. theres a lot of private property so be sure to not trespass. stay on the paved road until you see a beat up metal mailbox on the right hand side. take a right there. the first half mile of the trail leads to the loop. loop can be taken left or right, left is steeper though.
definitely bring bug spray

It's definitely an easy hike. It's so easy that my husband and I decided to listen to a resident's advice and went on a side trail when we came down for a better view. (Definitely not recommended if you don't have any equipments to mark your path.) The side trail is a lot tinier than the main trail. Minor cuts and insects bites are expected since you are basically go through trees on a small path. There were orange marks and ropes tied to the trees to assist the hikers. At the end of the side trail, the hill gets so steep and you had to hold on trees to climb up. Anyway, I don't think we were on the top since we didn't see a better view, but we were lost as we couldn't find the tree that we used to come up(duh). So we were lost in the woods for 30 minutes finding the path to get back on the side or main trail. I was about to call 911. But my dear husband thought we could make it. So we basically rolled down trees to trees and eventually rolled onto the main trail. Mahalo.

Nice variation of plant life and views are pretty good.

Great hike with the kiddo's. They all found Lilikoi and were super excited about it!! The hike was not hard at all but it was pretty and had views and changing scenery.

Loved it. The trail is muddy for a short distance. Mostly dry well traveled with views and beautiful ferns along the way.

I practically live at the trail head and hike this trail regularly. There is another loop trail on the other side of the canyon and if you hike on the road past the two trail heads past the water pumping station there is the canyon trail that is very rough but amazing.

Easy mellow hike; great for trail running. This hike isn't really about views or waterfalls; it's suited more for exercising or strolling through the forest. If you go off path a bit you can catch a nice view of the ocean but the trail itself is beautiful; filled with pine trees and streams (if it has been raining). I recommend using mosquito repellent. Great hike for dogs and children.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

We did this hike today and we loved it! We parked at the beach park at the bottom of the street since it said that this was an area with thief ( where the trail head is). We didn't leave anything in the car anyway and walked up the street no problem. We didn't see anyone the whole time we hiked. A we bit muddy at time but really not bad at all. This trail is truly amazing. Most of the time it's in the shade so it didn't feel too hot. It isn't very difficult and would qualify this as a nice walk. The trail goes through a few creeks and a lot of very spectacular trees. Would recommend starting the loop on the left side since on the way back down you could peek and see the ocean! Would definitely go again! Don't forget the bug spray!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

OK hike. Not enough water for there to be a waterfall. Nice views

Thursday, April 06, 2017

moderate hike.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Loved it! Lots of changes in vegetation. Beautiful views up valleys when you reached the ridgeline.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

3.5 stars. I would rate this easy-moderate because of the mud and elevation change. First hike in Hawaii. I wish there was a better view of the ocean for a picture but we caught glimpses thru the trees. The songbirds were a delight. We parked at the ocean and walked up since there is no parking allowed near the trailhead. Practiced Leave No Trace by packing out other's trash

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Loved the foliage diversity and views. And always love a trail that my dog can join me on!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Very peaceful hike. Did it with my 10 month old, baby wearing and my dachshund.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

nasty mosquitoes at the start, but once you get above the river they lose interest. I love the varying landscape. great hike

Friday, December 30, 2016

Muddy in parts, but I did it in tennis shoes (though they ended up covered in mud). I'm usually a mosquito magnet but didn't have any spray and only got one bite. I went clockwise, beautiful views on the way down. Parts of the trail are covered with soft, springy pine needles that were great to hike on. I saw footsteps but didn't see anyone on the trail. Great birdsong and trees! Don't do this for the waterfalls (they're pretty small) but otherwise a very pretty hike.