Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail

Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hanakp'ai Falls Trail is located near Hanalei, Hawaii and features a waterfall. The trail is primarily used for hiking. The first 2 miles is a moderate hike to Hanakapiai Beach. From there it is another 2 strenuous miles to the falls. The trail is very muddy and slippery during the first mile. Hollywood is a big fan of this Hawaiian island's spectacular landscape, which is why it's a popular filming location for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park. Like most trails on Kauai, the route up to the falls is quite rugged and usually quite slippery. This route should not be attempted during or immediately after a heavy rainfall.

Loved it! Start early as there is limited parking.

Great hike, lots of different terrain. Bring more water than you think you will need if you go all the way to the falls.

You reach the end, hot, tired, scratched, bruised, and then you dive into a crystal clear, ice-cold pool under a 400' waterfall. As epic a 4 mile hike as exists on this earth. Highly recommended, but would say the rating is difficult, not moderate. This is likely not for the average tourist. Hiking knowledge and some fitness are most helpful. That being said, it was not nearly as muddy as i expected and did not require as much scrambling as I expected. Start as early as you possibly can. it's worth it!

I just did the hike and it's a very beautiful hike and it's not that difficult. The review Amanda Parker left is not even accurate to how the trail is. We got to see some beautiful scenery as we got closer to the beach and crossing the rivers was not a problem at all. my wife and I had a tub of ice cream the day before and had no problem doing the hike. Awesome views, awesome waterfall, awesome beach. ITS WORTH IT!

this trail was everything a trail should be! beautiful scenery, rock climbing and a waterfall at the end. The trail itself isn't difficult, it is just difficult to keep your footing in a lot of areas because of the rain making it super slippery. I wore sandals and it was a good decision, there are quite a few river crossings and for me it was easier to just get in the water and walk across. I would recommend this trail to a friend!

Incredible hike! The falls at the end of the trail are just otherworldly, I can't recommend enough.

We had a dry day -- we visited in early August -- and the trail was not too bad at all. There are a few streams to bounce across but nothing too heinous.

We are both intermediate hikers and it took us about 5 hours round trip (including around 45 mins for swimming once we hit the falls).

Great hike up and back.