Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail

Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Hanakp'ai Falls Trail is located near Hanalei, Hawaii and features a waterfall. The trail is primarily used for hiking. The first 2 miles is a moderate hike to Hanakapiai Beach. From there it is another 2 strenuous miles to the falls. The trail is very muddy and slippery during the first mile. Hollywood is a big fan of this Hawaiian island's spectacular landscape, which is why it's a popular filming location for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park. Like most trails on Kauai, the route up to the falls is quite rugged and usually quite slippery. This route should not be attempted during or immediately after a heavy rainfall.

Agree with reviewers below that you will want sturdy hiking shoes and trekking poles - we had one each, but I would have liked to have two. Even though it was a beautiful sunny day, the trail was very muddy and slippery when we went at the beginning of December. We saw one hiker with crampons and were slightly jealous. If you are fairly nimble, you may not have to get your feet wet crossing the streams. We were able to jump from rock to rock, but maybe we went on a day where the streams were running low. We are avid hikers and this hike took us a little over 4 hours.

We hiked this trail yesterday 12/13/17
We arrived at 9 am and the closest parking lot was already full. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to the waterfall. We are both avid hikers and live in Carmel Ca. where there is an abundance of trails right in our backyard. Having said that, this trail is very slippery and in my opinion dangerous. We saw people in flip flops , sandals & sneakers. I was so happy to have on my hiking boots , wish I had brought poles for this hike. In the first 2 Miles we were so careful to try and keep out feet clean and dry .... trust me... you are going to get wet & muddy . You have to cross the river 4 times to get to the waterfall so just embrace the elements and get wet & muddy from the get go.
The hike was so worth it and we will 100% do it again, but those of you that rate this hike Moderate must be in their 20s
I’m 53 a little fluffy and we are pretty sore today.
We brought two large water bottles , some jerky and a bag of nuts ...... round trip with plenty of time to enjoy the beach and waterfall took us 6 hours.

Not sure why my tracking on All Trails cut out on the descent but it took us 6 hours and 20 minutes total and we were at a slow to medium pace coming out. The trail was extremely muddy and slippery but we had quality hikers with good soles. We saw lots of people sliding and a few falls in running shoes / trainers. I would probably rate it hard as a good portion is scrambling in extremely muddy / slippery conditions not conventional hiking.
It was definitely the best vacation hike I have done over the past 30 years aside from the Canadian Rockies. I would do it again in the summer after a stretch of a week or so without rain. Some great pictures and met lots of people as the trail is heavily traveled. The overflow parking was full and people on the road when we came out. Get there early take

November 22 2017
Weather Wet and slush
Trail Muddy wet slippery
Must Equipment Trekking Poles Good Merrill Hiking Shoes
River Conditions Waist high fast moving waters

Great hike, hard and tough.
Unlike many reviews this is during wet and raining conditions. Need to be in good fitness. Saw many in flippers and sliding.
Views are awesome and worth the effort.
Best hike in Kauai.

Views are simply amazing. Muddy and some challenging spots, so wear the right shoes. Go early to beat crowds. Garden of Eden!

Awesome trail, an absolute must if you enjoy beautiful, lush, and green coastal scenery. The hike to the falls and the option to take an extremely refreshing dip is worth the trek alone. Only negative thing that I can think of, which this really didn’t bother my wife and I but it may bother some, is how muddy and slippery it can get. Unfortunately we did not bring trekking poles with us on our trip (we will next time) but those definitely would have made the hike much easier in navigating some of the more rocky and slippery parts, but again we did fine without them. Overall we really enjoyed the hike and highly recommend it.

Gorgeous vistas of the na Pali coast and ke'e beach, well established trail

Unbelievable view of the water fall. Up and down hike that took 5 hours round trip for an experienced hiker. Hike early in the morning to beat the rush of people coming for Kee beach and making the first leg of the hike. Trail is much more serene and natural when not crowded. Must swim out to the water fall once reaching the end of the trail. Will be slippery do not attempt hike without adequate footwear...

Absolutely phenomenal trail. Difficult enough to keep it interesting, easy enough I was never scared for my life. The waterfall at the end... wow!

Il faut venir tôt pour éviter la foule. Belle balade récompensée par un bain sous la cascade: rafraîchissant!

The is a great hike. The first 2 miles include coastal views and don’t include any stream crossings until you get to Hanakapi’ai Beach. From the beach to the falls in late October included at least 6 stream crossings where you waded through at mid-thigh depth. The hike is through the forest. Based on the time of year and amount of rain, the depth of the stream will change. My advice is to go expecting to get muddy and wet. The base of the falls is amazing and this part of the trail wasn’t too busy. About 40 people spread out over 2 miles.

It’s as what everyone says in their reviews. I would add two things, it’s a moderate plus hike and the beach part of hike is not along a flat beach of sand. It’s a muddy, rocky slippery up and down hike 200 feet above the water.

I love this trail it has it all. Amazing views of Nāpali to start with. Don’t plan on keeping your shoes clean or feet dry with enough stream crossings for a refreshing dip you will be rewarded with an amazing view of the falls. Pack some food before the walk back.

Great hike. Strenuous in the first mile down hill the 2nd. Rocky and roots to the falls. It’s slick throughout but rewards with great views and the falls are spectacular! Pack enough water! We took 2 quarts and needed 6 but live and learn! We made it so will you. Not sure why it’s considered moderate. It can be tough especially if wet.

Not a moderate hike but the scenery was beautiful. Bring sturdy shoes and lots of water but a muddy trail and lots of climbing over rocks and you cross the streams three times over rocks.

Best hike I’ve ever been on, waterfall at the end is amazing :)

Not easy. Pretty muddy in places. But worth it.

We made it a couple miles up. It was raining when we went and it was relentless so we turned back. Beautiful though. One of my favorite hikes even though I didn’t make it to the end.

Hiked this morning during and right after a heavy rain. Lucky to get out early as the trail was closed for most of the day. Difficulty definitely increases with the slippery conditions and high waters, but getting to the waterfall with the rain coming from above was a once in a lifetime experience. Great hike!

Wear good grippy shoes, or be ready to get your feet wet :-) The trail is quite muddy and slippery and there is a couple of water-crossing.
Well worth it on e you get to the waterfall. Bring your swimsuit !