Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail

Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Hanakp'ai Falls Trail is located near Hanalei, Hawaii and features a waterfall. The trail is primarily used for hiking. The first 2 miles is a moderate hike to Hanakapiai Beach. From there it is another 2 strenuous miles to the falls. The trail is very muddy and slippery during the first mile. Hollywood is a big fan of this Hawaiian island's spectacular landscape, which is why it's a popular filming location for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park. Like most trails on Kauai, the route up to the falls is quite rugged and usually quite slippery. This route should not be attempted during or immediately after a heavy rainfall.

We hiked this trail yesterday 12/13/17
We arrived at 9 am and the closest parking lot was already full. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to the waterfall. We are both avid hikers and live in Carmel Ca. where there is an abundance of trails right in our backyard. Having said that, this trail is very slippery and in my opinion dangerous. We saw people in flip flops , sandals & sneakers. I was so happy to have on my hiking boots , wish I had brought poles for this hike. In the first 2 Miles we were so careful to try and keep out feet clean and dry .... trust me... you are going to get wet & muddy . You have to cross the river 4 times to get to the waterfall so just embrace the elements and get wet & muddy from the get go.
The hike was so worth it and we will 100% do it again, but those of you that rate this hike Moderate must be in their 20s
I’m 53 a little fluffy and we are pretty sore today.
We brought two large water bottles , some jerky and a bag of nuts ...... round trip with plenty of time to enjoy the beach and waterfall took us 6 hours.

Not sure why my tracking on All Trails cut out on the descent but it took us 6 hours and 20 minutes total and we were at a slow to medium pace coming out. The trail was extremely muddy and slippery but we had quality hikers with good soles. We saw lots of people sliding and a few falls in running shoes / trainers. I would probably rate it hard as a good portion is scrambling in extremely muddy / slippery conditions not conventional hiking.
It was definitely the best vacation hike I have done over the past 30 years aside from the Canadian Rockies. I would do it again in the summer after a stretch of a week or so without rain. Some great pictures and met lots of people as the trail is heavily traveled. The overflow parking was full and people on the road when we came out. Get there early take

November 22 2017
Weather Wet and slush
Trail Muddy wet slippery
Must Equipment Trekking Poles Good Merrill Hiking Shoes
River Conditions Waist high fast moving waters

Great hike, hard and tough.
Unlike many reviews this is during wet and raining conditions. Need to be in good fitness. Saw many in flippers and sliding.
Views are awesome and worth the effort.
Best hike in Kauai.

Views are simply amazing. Muddy and some challenging spots, so wear the right shoes. Go early to beat crowds. Garden of Eden!

Awesome trail, an absolute must if you enjoy beautiful, lush, and green coastal scenery. The hike to the falls and the option to take an extremely refreshing dip is worth the trek alone. Only negative thing that I can think of, which this really didn’t bother my wife and I but it may bother some, is how muddy and slippery it can get. Unfortunately we did not bring trekking poles with us on our trip (we will next time) but those definitely would have made the hike much easier in navigating some of the more rocky and slippery parts, but again we did fine without them. Overall we really enjoyed the hike and highly recommend it.

Gorgeous vistas of the na Pali coast and ke'e beach, well established trail

Unbelievable view of the water fall. Up and down hike that took 5 hours round trip for an experienced hiker. Hike early in the morning to beat the rush of people coming for Kee beach and making the first leg of the hike. Trail is much more serene and natural when not crowded. Must swim out to the water fall once reaching the end of the trail. Will be slippery do not attempt hike without adequate footwear...

Absolutely phenomenal trail. Difficult enough to keep it interesting, easy enough I was never scared for my life. The waterfall at the end... wow!

Il faut venir tôt pour éviter la foule. Belle balade récompensée par un bain sous la cascade: rafraîchissant!