Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail

Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hanakp'ai Falls Trail is located near Hanalei, Hawaii and features a waterfall. The trail is primarily used for hiking. The first 2 miles is a moderate hike to Hanakapiai Beach. From there it is another 2 strenuous miles to the falls. The trail is very muddy and slippery during the first mile. Hollywood is a big fan of this Hawaiian island's spectacular landscape, which is why it's a popular filming location for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park. Like most trails on Kauai, the route up to the falls is quite rugged and usually quite slippery. This route should not be attempted during or immediately after a heavy rainfall.

After you reach the beach to take a break, head back to the waterfall for a swim! Huge icy pool to swim in. Be careful for the heavy rainfall and flash floods! It's gets a little muddy and you cross the stream a few times. There's a beautiful bamboo forest you walk through too. There's a ton space to sit and swim and just hangout.

If you decide to hike to the beach, you might as well add on the extra mileage and go to this waterfall as well. You have to cross the river multiple times plus the first half of the trail can be dangerously slippery. If it's raining or has any chance of rain, I'd skip this. But if it's a beautiful day, this is one of the best ways to spend a morning in Kauai. Parking can be crazy. Arrive early. There's showers near the bottom where you can wash all the mud off before jumping in your car.

Wonderful hike! I would recommend getting there early-around 7am since it's a popular spot and can get very crowded. It took us about 6 hours, the last two in a pouring rain which turned soil into a slippery mud. Still an amazing trail!

Awesome trail! Great views! Glad i didn't bring the kids along (11 &12yo) as the river crossings are quite sketchy.

Was planning on hiking this tomorrow and see there is rain in the forecast. Would you recommend still going or not? Please text or call me at 305-431-4249, thanks!!

Amazing! One of my favorite hikes I've done. The first 2 miles are gorgeous but easy. As you get closer to the falls it gets a little more technical and treacherous. It took us about 7 hours to hike, but we took our time, and at the end of the hike my knees were killing me. If you have the time and experience, the Kalalau trail looks fantastic.

My husband and I loved this trail. As per the recommendation of friends, get there early. We arrived by 6:30 am, and only saw two other people on our way to the falls. By the time we were heading back in the 9 o'clock hour, it was a steady stream of hikers in a single file line.

The first two miles of the Kalalau trail along the coast are incredible, and aren't terribly challenging. The toughness on this hike comes from the last half to 3/4 miles before the falls, which requires lots of agility and patience as you scale the rocks and boulders as you approach the final stretch.

There's also a set of bathrooms two miles in before the trail veers inland, which is an added convenience.

Overall, it was a definite trip highlight.