Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) from Kuneki St. [CLOSED]

Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) from Kuneki St. [CLOSED] is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

closed

private property

This trail is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. Violators are SUBJECT TO $500 FINES. A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on in 2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway itself, rendering it dangerous and unusable. The LEGAL WAY to get to the top of the Haiku Stairs can be found here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/moanalua-valley-trail-to-the-haiku-stairs-stairway-to-heaven

Best hike I've ever done with the most amazing view !

Aloha! I do hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out my Instagram Mike.Karas and shoot me a message if you have any questions/are interested in hiking. You can email me as well at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

I did this hike this past January. Definitely worth the risk. Just be smart about it and do your research. The guard is definitely avoidable on the way down. We ran into over 20 people during the hike so that made us feel better. Can't beat the view at the top.

love it just be wary of cops and such

I wouldn't say it's a hike, more of a climb lol. But me and a few buddies went up this past weekend. Got to the neighborhood around midnight, parked closer to the school down the hill and walked up through the drainage ditch. When we got below the stairs, the security guard was there, but all he said was, "just to let you know, this is considered trespassing." All we said was thank you and started the hour and a half trek up to the top. The guard actually came up to the peak and was real nice and chatted with everybody. We had no problems coming down or getting out of the area.

If you are doing the Haiku Stairs, just be quiet and respectful when you're in this neighborhood. You should have no problems unless you're being a dick and going through people's yards, blocking their driveways, etc.

Best done with friends ... we cheered each other on ✅ Great place to watch the sunrise ✌

If you're interested in hiking Oahu make sure to check out my IG @VentureAloha and message me for info/rate. Venturealoha@gmail.com www.venturealohahikes.com

MUST DO HIKE !!! BARELY LEGAL BUT FUN AS HELL .... CHECK OUT MY VIDEO

Looking at doing this some time between 8 April - 17 April with my partner. We are from New Zealand, would be keen to go with someone who knows where they are going. Message me on instagram at s_a_m_y

Did this hike 3 April and had an amazing time. We got to Makena St at main gate around 3:45am and there was a cop with lights on parked out front, so we parked on Kuneki St and walked to Kuneki Place to go through drainage ditch. We walked past a barking dog that was fenced in front yard, other than that no issue getting to drainage area. Once you walk drainage area, follow the fence line to main road and turn right. You can follow the main road to security guard. We walked right past him. All he did was inform us we were trespassing, we said thank you and kept walking and hit base of stairs on the left. There were no issues coming down. Almost everyone we saw hiking that day walked past the guard leaving the stairs without incident, so we decided to press our luck and walk past the guard as well...no issue. We did see a group of people turn right, right before getting to base of stairs. We saw them pop out of the bamboo forest as we were walking past. Overall, an amazing day and memories of a lifetime. Hope this helps anyone planning to hike the trail soon!

One more tip that helped us. Make sure to login to AllTrails and follow your path bumped up to someone else's path that is saved in the app. It will keep you on track so u don't veer onto a different trail. There are many other trails that can lead you in directions you don't want to go, which can make the hike confusing.

Will be in Oahu this week and would like to climb this with others. My brother and his wife might join, pending their schedule. Would preferably like to climb during the week Apr 5th-7th. Would like to take the chance and climb during the morning with daylight, but open to doing it in the wee hours as well. Email me neeco_jay @ yahoo.com or message me on IG @neecker if interested!

My friend and I are going to do this hike between 22nd and 28th April, depending on the weather.
I found a way to do the hike without disturbing the people that live there.
I respect the nature and the people, so I will not jump backyards or other disrepectful stuff like that.
Are there people that are going to do the hike around that date? And if yes, do you have a drone to make video's from the sky? That would be awsome!

Contact me on Instagram: ZoubeirTravel

Me and my partner did the hike today. We did so much research leading up to it but still got lost going in, The way we came out is the way i would recommend to everyone. We went in through the drain on Kuneki Place, All easy to get in and out but when we hit the bamboo forest we went in to early. The best and easiest way to get in and out is park on Makena Street and go through the gates. You will walk up the paved road for a bit then you will see an opening in the bamboo (very noticeable) follow the tracks the whole way through till you see a fence, go through the hole in fence then you will get onto a dirt road, cross the road then go back in the bamboo. stay close to the roadway and you will hit the bottom of the stairs. If you down load the maps.me app, it actually shows you the way through this forest (we didn’t notice this until way out) ill upload the map later. Once we hit the stairs the first part was very hard, very steep in some parts. Once we got to the top it was cloudy but still totally worth it. Be careful as its so slippery early in the morning. Its defiantly a must do!

haven't been here yet but plan to do this hike soon. I've been told that part of the stairs are gone about half way up and that you have to detour. Is this correct? I'm very excited about this hike but want to be very prepared. Any information would be appreciated. My husband and I are early fifties but dont do much hiking. I know its going to be tough but can't pass this once in a lifetime hike. Feel free to email me any information or tips you might want to share at jaimesstuff3693@yahoo.com. Thank you for your help and knowledge!

Side note: If you do hike out here, any hike on the island, please be respectful of the landowners and people living here. Keep the noise down, don't damage their property, pack out your trash. Don't ruin it for everyone and have respect for the locals too. Mahalo!

Hey i've been living in hawaii since December an been wanting to go on on this hike but dont have anybody to go with me, if anyone who would like to go please e mail me at shoopjon28@gmail.com thanks

Did this hike the illegal/legal way. We didn't hop fences or walk thru anyone's yard. We started at 230am and got to the govt back road without incident. Followed instructions on one of the site we researched. Unfortunately, still got lost lost for an hour trying to find the bamboo forest. we entered a forest when we saw the first drainage ditch, wrong one. after any hr, we finally decided to go back out to the govt road and walk down towards the guard station and take our chances there when we saw bamboo!!! a little further down, noticed the drainage ditch that probably everyone comes thru. we entered the bamboo forest and made our way to the bottom of the stairs. The hike was great. Didn't see much hiking up as it was only 330am. when we got to the top, at 530am, there were people inside the antenna tower waiting for sunrise at 630am. it wasn't until daylight and the hike down did I truly appreciate the climb. it was everything I imagined it would be. the views from up top were breathtaking. everyone needs to do this hike once! 2 hrs up and 1 hr down, with lots of breaks in between. Legs sore for days after, but worth it!

ps sorry Lilinoe about your dog.