Haiku Stairs [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Haiku Stairs [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

closed

private property

NOTE: This trail is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC and violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the stairs is ILLEGAL and trespassing on government property. A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on in 2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway itself, rendering it dangerous and unusable. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine. The ONLY LEGAL WAY to get to the TOP of the Haiku Stairs can be found here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/moanalua-valley-trail-to-the-haiku-stairs-stairway-to-heaven. Again, it is ILLEGAL to be on the HAIKU Stairs at any point along the route.

in 2 days

Aloha! I typically hike up 1-3 times a week for almost 3 years now. Had an awesome time hiking up today! I will be going again tomorrow on Saturday and this Sunday as well. It is often windy and/or rainy but we never have issues as we always have the right gear (including microspikes and gloves) which are supplied by me when we go. If you're looking to hike and want to link up or get some ideas of what this trail looks like feel free to reach out to me on my Instagram @mike.karas or mikekarasphotography@gmail.com. Bring plenty of water for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii.

private property

I had a blast! I felt like James Bond trying to dodge the security guard and climb up the mountain on some old metal stairs. There’s an ancient radio station at the top with a big dish that was used to send radi signals to Navy ships operating in the Pacific starting in 1943 - very cool history behind this hiking spot. I highly recommend it, but try not to get caught

Hello all!
Plan on hiking up the stairs with family on FEB 16, 2019, this Saturday. We are looking for company and anyone with experience in this hike. I have done it four years ago when security was a little lower. Please email me at sddilts@gmail.com or DM me on instagram at surfing_gaijin

Thank You!

private property

Aloha everyone! I did this hike on February 7, 2019. Must I say we had the best luck ever. We saw a cop but turned behind him and he never followed us to the side street. Took the drainage canal way straight to the government road that lead to the steps. No security guard in front. On the way down, we did see a guard and decided to take the bamboo forest to the government road. Took the drainage canal back to the main road & easy peasy just like that! If anyone has any questions feel free to msg me insta @nikkihuber

Nice hike.

Aloha!!
I did this trail on saturday January 26 and it was awesome ... go for the legal way it starts in Moanalua Valley Trail!

Be prepare take water and some snaks!
Try to get Hinking Gloves it will be very helpful.

Speechless! best hike ever !!

I did this hike today on January 22nd 2018. When I went, there was no guard or police officer posted. However, other hikers I saw along the way said there was one when they went by. Anyways this hike took me about 2 hours up and the views were amazing. They’re were rescue helicopters flying around up there and will come very close to the stairs. Make sure to go on a non cloudy day. Otherwise your views will be blocked at the top.

I highly recommend going through and returning the way listed on this map. We parked just down the street at around 4am and easily climbed through the hole in the fence to the right of the main gate.

We made the mistake of returning through the other gate, where we encountered the guard, had to crawl under the gate which was within feet of an angry pit bull, and were bombarded by angry neighbor verbal assaults, video recordings, and threatening up close encounters with the neighborhood dogs. Use the main road it’s way easier.

This is a workout, you will sweat your ass off in the beginning, then freeze up near the top. Bring an extra warm shirt or jacket in case you get too soaked like I did.

Hello all names Eddie, first off we have not done this hike at all buttt myself and a friend is planning to hike up the stairs and back the down the back way or vice versa this Friday, January the 18th...is there anybody out there with the same plans that at least have done the hike so we can join you please reach out thank you and we will make sure to be there in time ready to tag along lol ... justeddie007@googlemail.com ... again thanks

Aloha! I typically hike up 1-3 times a week and have been doing so for almost 3 years now. Went up 5 of the last 11 days. Had a fun time going up today! I will be going again on Thursday, Friday, and this weekend too. I have hiked most of the hikes on this island many many times! It is often windy and/or rainy but we never have issues as we always have the right gear (microspikes and gloves) which is supplied by me when we go. If you're looking to hike and want to link up or get some ideas of what this trail looks like feel free to reach out to me on my Instagram @mike.karas or mikekarasphotography@gmail.com. Bring plenty of water for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii

I will climb the Stairway to Heaven with some others tomorrow, January 13th, for the 317th time. “Haʻikū Stairs v. 317” - I can’t wait! :)

My most recent post on Instagram @Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt gives an idea for one impactful photo angle.

5 things about stairway:

(1) It is illegal, but not unsafe.

In 70+ years there have been no falling deaths on the stairs. Compare that to 54 air rescues on diamondhead last year. By total death count, the Stairway to Heaven could be Oahu’s safest trail. (Although it still deserves caution.)

(2) Contribute to what you love.

I clean every three days on average, but it builds up fast. To make it convenient to carry trash out, bring a bag so you don’t soil your pack.

Poop: bury it or squat over a one-gallon bag, toss the wipes in, press the air out, tripple bag and pack it out like a diaper.

(3) Take it easy on the neighbors.

Most locals are friendly, but some are understandably aggressive. Blood has spilled over this hike more than once in the past year. You cannot be too careful.

(4) Plan your hike and hike your plan.

The most common Haʻikū Stairs story is:

“We went to bed at 11pm, woke up at 2am and tried to get in, but got caught by police. When we got back to the hotel we slept. We really wanted to take a picture on the stairs so we decided to go the ‘back way’. It was harder than we expected, and when we got to the top we decided we needed to take the stairs down because we would rather get the ticket than die.”

If you are considering going the legal way, choose companions who will be willing to return down the legal way also. You can easily get a ticket coming down the stairs.

Except under special circumstances, I normally do not guide the ‘back way’. There is another guide who provides equipment and coaching for that experience.

a. The ‘back way’

Legal access hours to Moanalua Valley Trail are 7am - 7pm with the same ticket as the front way if you’re caught after hours. I recommend starting right at 7am because it’s safer to not rush on the mountain. If you think you’re lost, take the only certain way out - which is to turn around. It’s easy to find yourself in a life-threatening position on the trails behind Haʻikū Stairs.

If you want to see sunrise or sunset, I recommend beginning at noon and sleeping over. The mountain is usually cold, rainy, misty and windy, so prepare accordingly. A good insulating mat is a must if you plan to spend the night.

‘Good’ hiking shoes are NOT sufficient. I recommend soft rubber ‘hiking cleats’, a GPS device, cautious confidence, and enough internal fortitude to enjoy your activity rather than merely survive it.

Ask me for detailed ‘why’s behind shoe criteria.

b. The stairs.

If you’re considering the stairs, it is important to be personally and professionally prepared for the legal exposure, and know which actions increase that risk.

The financial setback usually begins around $5,000 depending on legal fees, travel expenses, fines. If there is any impact on professional life it can be 100x that. I recommend handling this decision carefully.

Send me a message at Facebook.com/MatthewKievlan for advice there.

(5) Linger in the mountain.

People think I go for the epic view, but when we go upstairs they slowly begin to recognize their own reflection in nature. They resonate with the energetic blueprint of a place so majestic and discover new light to admire in their soul.

As we climb, energy begins to grow in us and melts our physical senses, opening us to sense spirit. We become immersed, perhaps because we have ‘stepped into’ the experience 3,922 times, as we move from civilization to heaven.

After a while at the top, our group fades into shock (in a good way) and stays that way for the rest of our journey. Like a broken record, every time I hear: “We researched it, but we could have never guessed it would be so good. ‘This’ makes it so much more than a hike.” Always with smiles; sometimes in tears.

Most visitors get to the top, take their best photos, and head back down. (I suggest studying which photo angles make the best statements before you hike.)

When you get to the top, don’t leave quickly. Lean back and enjoy the main event.

The magic begins when you settle in with comforts to look back on your work - while still in the environment of it.

We create space at the top with good scents and music to soak in the bliss of it. We write our names, revel in the story of this day, and relax on memory foam pads inside clean fuzzy jackets tasting wine paired to warm Vermont maple syrup on nutmeg French Toast.

If you start down right away, the noise of civilization dominates the fragile nuances of truth you uncovered along the way, before they have time to set into your memory.

Reflection in-space is the actual gem of the experience. Even after so many times, I haven’t gotten tired of it. Once we begin up, I’m lost on it too!

Aloha,
@Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt

I’ll would like to Hike the Haiku Stairs on January 12. This will be my first time so I would like to join a group. Email me at CAMorales@ppg.com

Aloha! I typically hike up 1-3 times a week. Went up 5 of the last 10 days. I will be going again this upcoming weekend on the 12/13th. I have hiked most of the hikes on this island many many times! It is often windy and/or rainy but we never have issues as we always have the right gear which is supplied by me when we go. If you're looking to hike and want to link up or get some ideas of what this trail looks like feel free to reach out to me on my Instagram @mike.karas or mikekarasphotography@gmail.com. Bring plenty of water for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii

I went up on Saturday. it's been pretty clear up top the last few times I went. I have done this hike many times. If you want to avoid getting fined/arrested I will be going up tomorrow Saturday the 12th the legal backway.
In my opinion going up the stairs all the way gets boring, the backway is more of an adventure and there are better views. It can get pretty muddy and windy. Crampons(spikes) recommended.

Is there anyone going up the stairs on 23FEB? My friends and I would like a guide. You can DM me on Instagram @surfing_gaijin

Worth it!

Hi fellow explorers! My friends and I are going to hike haiku stairs for the first time this Sunday(13) or Monday(14) depending on what people can do! Comment or message me if you’re interested in coming along! ❤️

Lost a go pro near the drainage canal today 1/6/19. Really want the photos we had on it more than anything. Please contact me at 4079023341. Greatly appreciated if someone found it! Thanks

I have done this hike many times. If you want to avoid getting fined/arrested I'll be going up tomorrow Saturday January 5th the legal backway.
This is an amazing hike, great views, it's a fun hike but it can get pretty muddy and windy. Crampons(spikes) recommended.
If interested send me a message on instagram @angelo_q or email me at chicolo@hotmail.com for details. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food.

hello will be here with brother January 4th until 10 looking for hiking buddies stuff to do email is orangecky2k10@gmail.com

I would love to go to this hike most of my friends and friend friends are scared and lazy Now im here hoping to meet some new faces and gonna hike on the epic once in a lifetime hike, born and raised here, but moved after high school for an girl been with for 7 years now broke up and here for vaycay, tryna do something different and I love hiking. Please hit me up if any one is going probably this week Instagram @Heinzel2liveforya

A friend and I would like to go on Friday dec 21st any tip on how to access the hike to avoid getting caught would be awesome! Dm vero_verdonck

Thanks !

I went up last Sunday, it was the driest I've seen it this year (not as muddy). I've done this hike many times. If you want to avoid getting fined/arrested I'll be going up Saturday January 5th, 2019 the legal back way. If interested send me a message on instagram @angelo_q or email me at chicolo@hotmail.com for details. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food and maybe some layers because it can get pretty windy and wet up top

I went up recently "the legal backway", it was very muddy and slippery. Crampons(spikes) recommended. I've done this hike many times. Going up this Sunday the 16th. if interested send me a message on instagram @angelo_q or email me at chicolo@hotmail.com for details. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food and maybe some layers because it can get pretty windy and wet up top.

Anyone doing it tomorrow the 8th? Interest send an email taqui_8@hotmail.com

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are planning on doing this hike on the 6th, but suupperrr nervous about the whole guard/police ordeal. Anyone else planning on doing the hike either the 6, or 7? Would love to have someone join us! Trying to gather as much research as possible, and I easily get super lost so that's my main concern if I go early in the morning. (illegal way) but life is too short not to see this beauty!! Email: awkventurer@gmail.com

Hi! This will be my second time in Oahu and I would love to do the stairs. I'm only there a short while and would like to hike 5/4 or 5/5. Please contact me on IG if anyone is interested or could help. Thank you! @thewildmoogle

Anyone interested in doing the trail tomorrow? It’s on my bucketlist and i really want to do it before i leave Oahu! IG: valeirg