Haiku Stairs [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

closed

private property

NOTE: This trail is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC and violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the stairs is ILLEGAL and trespassing on government property. A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on in 2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway itself, rendering it dangerous and unusable. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine. The ONLY LEGAL WAY to get to the TOP of the Haiku Stairs can be found here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/moanalua-valley-trail-to-the-haiku-stairs-stairway-to-heaven. Again, it is ILLEGAL to be on the HAIKU Stairs at any point along the route.

Aloha! I typically hike up 1-3 times a week. Hiked three times last week. Will be going again this Wednesday and this weekend Dec 15/16. Possibly other weekdays too. I have hiked most of the hikes on this island many many times! It is often windy and/or rainy but we never have issues as we always have the right gear which is supplied by me when we go. If you're looking to hike and want to link up or get some ideas of what this trail looks like feel free to reach out to me on my Instagram @mike.karas or mikekarasphotography@gmail.com. Bring plenty of water for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii.

I went up recently "the legal backway", it was very muddy and slippery. Crampons(spikes) recommended. I've done this hike many times. Going up either this Sunday the 16th. if interested send me a message on instagram @angelo_q or email me at chicolo@hotmail.com for details. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food and maybe some layers because it can get pretty windy and wet up top

Anyone doing it tomorrow the 8th? Interest send an email taqui_8@hotmail.com

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are planning on doing this hike on the 6th, but suupperrr nervous about the whole guard/police ordeal. Anyone else planning on doing the hike either the 6, or 7? Would love to have someone join us! Trying to gather as much research as possible, and I easily get super lost so that's my main concern if I go early in the morning. (illegal way) but life is too short not to see this beauty!! Email: awkventurer@gmail.com

I will climb the Stairway to Heaven with some others on Saturday the 1st for the 304th time. “Haʻikū Stairs v.304”. I can’t wait! :)

My most recent post on Instagram @Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt gives an idea for one impactful photo angle.

5 things about stairway:

(1) It is illegal, but not unsafe.

In 70+ years there have been no falling deaths on the stairs. Compare that to 54 air rescues on diamondhead last year. By total death count, the Stairway to Heaven could be Oahu’s safest trail. (Although it still deserves caution.)

(2) Contribute to what you love.

I clean every three days on average, but it builds up fast. To make it convenient to carry trash out, bring a bag so you don’t soil your pack.

Poop: bury it or squat over a one-gallon bag, toss the wipes in, press the air out, tripple bag and pack it out like a diaper.

(3) Take it easy on the neighbors.

Most locals are friendly, but some are understandably aggressive. Blood has spilled over this hike more than once in the past year. You cannot be too careful.

(4) Plan your hike and hike your plan.

The most common Haʻikū Stairs story is:

“We went to bed at 11pm, woke up at 2am and tried to get in, but got caught by police. When we got back to the hotel we slept. We really wanted to take a picture on the stairs so we decided to go the ‘back way’. It was harder than we expected, and when we got to the top we decided we needed to take the stairs down because we would rather get the ticket than die.”

If you are considering going the legal way, choose companions who will be willing to return down the legal way also. You can easily get a ticket coming down the stairs.

Except under special circumstances, I normally do not guide the ‘back way’. There is another guide who provides equipment and coaching for that experience.

a. The ‘back way’

Legal access hours to Moanalua Valley Trail are 7am - 7pm with the same ticket as the front way if you’re caught after hours. I recommend starting right at 7am because it’s safer to not rush on the mountain. If you think you’re lost, take the only certain way out - which is to turn around. It’s easy to find yourself in a life-threatening position on the trails behind Haʻikū Stairs.

If you want to see sunrise or sunset, I recommend beginning at noon and sleeping over. The mountain is usually cold, rainy, misty and windy, so prepare accordingly. A good insulating mat is a must if you plan to spend the night.

‘Good’ hiking shoes are NOT sufficient. I recommend soft rubber ‘hiking cleats’, a GPS device, cautious confidence, and enough internal fortitude to enjoy your activity rather than merely survive it.

Ask me for detailed ‘why’s behind shoe criteria.

b. The stairs.

If you’re considering the stairs, it is important to be personally and professionally prepared for the legal exposure, and know which actions increase that risk.

The financial setback usually begins around $5,000 depending on legal fees, travel expenses, fines. If there is any impact on professional life it can be 100x that. I recommend handling this decision carefully.

Send me a message at Facebook.com/MatthewKievlan for advice there.

(5) Linger in the mountain.

People think I go for the epic view, but when we go upstairs they slowly begin to recognize their own reflection in nature. They resonate with the energetic blueprint of a place so majestic and discover new light to admire in their soul.

As we climb, energy begins to grow in us and melts our physical senses, opening us to sense spirit. We become immersed, perhaps because we have ‘stepped into’ the experience 3,922 times, as we move from civilization to heaven.

After a while at the top, our group fades into shock (in a good way) and stays that way for the rest of our journey. Like a broken record, every time I hear: “We researched it, but we could have never guessed it would be so good. ‘This’ makes it so much more than a hike.” Always with smiles; sometimes in tears.

Most visitors get to the top, take their best photos, and head back down. (I suggest studying which photo angles make the best statements before you hike.)

When you get to the top, don’t leave quickly. Lean back and enjoy the main event.

The magic begins when you settle in with comforts to look back on your work - while still in the environment of it.

We create space at the top with good scents and music to soak in the bliss of it. We write our names, revel in the story of this day, and relax on memory foam pads inside clean fuzzy jackets tasting wine paired to warm Vermont maple syrup on nutmeg French Toast.

If you start down right away, the noise of civilization dominates the fragile nuances of truth you uncovered along the way, before they have time to set into your memory.

Reflection in-space is the actual gem of the experience. Even after so many times, I haven’t gotten tired of it. Once we begin up, I’m lost on it too!

Aloha,
@Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt

Hi! This will be my second time in Oahu and I would love to do the stairs. I'm only there a short while and would like to hike 5/4 or 5/5. Please contact me on IG if anyone is interested or could help. Thank you! @thewildmoogle

Anyone interested in doing the trail tomorrow? It’s on my bucketlist and i really want to do it before i leave Oahu! IG: valeirg

Looking to do this, this Sunday Monday or Tuesday. Either back way or front, if anyone would like to join please message me IG kevin.wulf

shout out to Matt (Instagram contact @hawaii.mountain.man.matt) absolutely great guide, even on a cloudy day we still got some insane views. definitely want to do this hike again

will do the stairs tomorrow. if you wanna join me hit me up on insta made86made. see ya :)

I went up recently "the legal backway", it was very muddy and slippery. Crampons(spikes) recommended. I've done this hike many times. Going up either tomorrow Saturday or Sunday. if interested send me a message on instagram @angelo_q or email me at chicolo@hotmail.com for details. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food and maybe some layers because it can get pretty windy and wet up top

We went up today the 7th time the illegal way and had super nice conditions. if anyone needs advise about the entrance and direction and all this stuff contact me on insta made86made - enjoy guys!

Hey anyone planning on doing this tomorrow? Me and my sister are in town and wanting to do this. Message me on Instagram Rlzachary

anyone in today or tomorrow for the stairs? would be a pleasure for me and my wife to join. hit me up on insta: made86made.
cheers marc

Did the stairs today, not the back way but straight up and down the stairs. The views every step up got better and better! I've done this one a few times and it is definitely one of the best hikes on the island! . If anyone has questions about the hike message me IG at Mdod89 or Snap mdogp1989.
Mike

Taking the legal route this morning around 7-7:30 am after I get off from work. I have tried the back route twice and it is unbelievably easy to get lost but I believe I finally trial and errored the correct path this time around. I always come accross groups that just turned around because they couldn’t figure out the right path to the stairs. I will also be going on the stairs then returning back through the legal route. It is probably too late but email justindavidsands@gmail.com if you are interested.

My husband and I hiked the stairs "the illegal front side" this last jan. 2018, but due to us leaving home on an early flight we were not able to finish the hike. This jan is our anniversary and we're coming back to conquer the stairs. If anyone else is going up this coming jan. we would love to join more ppl going up!

hey hiking ohau fans. I am looking for people who would like to join me on that. I will be in Ohau from the 8th until 21th of November. Hit me up on Insta @made86made. Would be amazing to meet some nice people and enjoy the hike - Marc

Hey! Looking to hike the stairs on the Nov 12th and would love go with someone that has done it before or anyone that wants to come with. DM me on instagram @mrschechter

anybody going tomorrow? fun flight attendant here and I'd love to join you!

402-515-8388 @hannah_likebanana on instagram!

Favorite hike so far Mountain Man Ray

Hey guys,
My hubby and I will hike the Haiku Stairs from Moanalua Valley on Nov 25th or 27th. Looking for someone who's done it before and knows the route to accompany us. Or if anyone else want to join let me know. @kimay71
Cannot wait to visit beautiful Hawaii for our first time... I already know it won't be the last!!!

Hello! This hike has been on my bucket list for the longest time! Is there anyone willing to go November 21 or 22? It's thanksgiving eve or day. I am planning to go with a girlfriend of mine. She's done it once before, but went with some people that have gone before. If anyone would like to join us or send me tips, it would be much appreciated! audrey.pai@gmail.com

my girlfriend and I live in oahu in lake side we are planning on hitting the stairs the "illegal" way if anyone would like to join. we have never done this hike before and we're looking for people who are willing to join along. ideally thinking of doing the hike on Wednesday oct 29th DM on Instagram me if interested @m.aa.x.x

Hey there, in Hawaii until Friday looking to make this hike in the next 24 hours!
Please message if you’ve done the hike and are looking to go back- my instagram is @alanad3
Looking forward to it!

did it tonight, 3am start, the cops yell at us, we waited a few minutes till he was driving away. run through lolii st, under the fence -> attention dog & dogshit (a**hole who live there) we had some troubles with the way in the forrest (too early left) wait till a big rock on the left side, then through the bamboo wood. more infos IG: jan_guertler

2nd best views of the island.

This is one of the most surreal hikes I’ve ever done! I did it 2 years ago and I’m wanting to take some friends soon in the next week or so but I can’t remember or know the best way to park and start this hike. If you have any suggestions on the best way to do this without causing any trouble to the residents, please DM me on Instagram at @shermsherm93. Shoots and Mahalo!

My husband and i are in Oahu today 10/13-10/20. We want to do this hike, but with someone who’s done it several times and knows how to get around security! We are willing to go any day between 10/14-10/20. Please email me if interested! Leyla@nezamfar.com