Haiku Stairs [CLOSED/ PRIVATE PROPERTY]

HARD 1,161 reviews

Haiku Stairs [CLOSED/ PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

closed

private property

NOTE: This trail is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC and violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the stairs is ILLEGAL and trespassing on government property. A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on in 2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway itself, rendering it dangerous and unusable. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine. The ONLY LEGAL WAY to get to the TOP of the Haiku Stairs can be found here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/moanalua-valley-trail-to-the-haiku-stairs-stairway-to-heaven. Again, it is ILLEGAL to be on the HAIKU Stairs at any point along the route.

Aloha! I do various guided hikes and photos here on Oahu. Feel free to check out my Instagram @mike.karas and contact me there or feel free to email me at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com if interested.

Neemz w hoping you will see this. I'm on Oahu soon and reaallllyyyy wanna do the stairs but am concerned about finding it since I have never been. If interested please text me 8084437804.

Going up in a few minutes for the 182nd time.

Here are 5 things you should know:

(1) It is the safest way to reach that elevation on Oahu.

Over the last 70+ years, no one has ever died falling on the stairs.

(2) There is a ton of trash at the top.

Bring a folded heavy-duty trash bag to help with that.

(3) Try another route - NOT through the neighborhood!

Think: when is the last time you woke up at 3am and whispered: "Honey I think there's someone outside the house!"

Two people have recently been shot with a high powered air rifle which broke the skin. That was wrong of the shooter, but it's also not surprising.

(4) EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION in the valley.

There is now a special duty Honolulu Police Department officer hired to be on-site as well as the guard.

Public record shows (contrary to popular speculation) that on average police dole out penalties every day.

Over the past three years the stairs have transitioned from a security guard after 5am, to a security guard there 24/7, and most recently a security guard 24/7 PLUS a uniformed police officer on-site to catch hikers.

Your fine is just $1,000 but collateral damage in lawyers fees, community service, plane tickets, court visits, impact on your job, etc is MANY TIMES that.

For locals, a mistake sets you back about $3,000. Visitors (with travel arrangements and time off) will be looking at roughly $5,000+

Any impact a misdemeanor has on your professional life is in addition to that

You can not be overly-cautious!

(5) This is the real Hawaii

Perhaps because you have literally stepped in-to it 3,992 times, this place immerses you in magic. You feel your heart beat, the smell the jungle, you hear the birds, you see the divine landscape, the air is cooler and fresher up there.

Along the way, I discover each time anew what it means to be human and never get tired of it.

That's the crazy part. I have not gotten tired of it yet!

Aloha
@Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt

Went a few time in the past week. I noticed fresh looking bolts in several steps. Rails are in very good shape, some parts looked like the were coated, never noticed that before. Also, rusty sharp spots have been wrapped like a true sports therapist - but with gorilla tape lol. Pretty cool. Someone is taking good care of this treasured place, thank you. The radio tower room, besides the dozens and dozens of beer cans and bottles lining the ceiling (please stop doing it, guys!) it is looking better than it has in a long time. I don't know who is doing all this work, but thank you so much.

But not everything is perfect. Still lots of trash being left everywhere. Parents, teach your kids some responsibility yo. SMH. Even if your child is 30 years old... maybe they need a time out. lulz.

@niiimz_

I will be in Oahu November 8-12. Is there anyone that knows where they are going that will like to hike with me? Or if anyone in general wants to do it please email me jenv90@icloud.com

Looking for someone to do stairway with me Sunday early am. Hit me up 8577012358 mike

Hiked on 10/11/17. We left my house in Kailua around 5:30 am and drove over planning to park off of Kuneki St. We saw a cop car but kept going. We drove down Mckena st and he followed us. We aborted immediately by driving out of the neighborhood and continuing to our backup plan. We drove over to Puoni Place and hopped a fence back there. It was actually kind of difficult to jump over but we made it. We then walked on the government road for maybe 5-10 minutes before seeing a trail in the trees to the left. We followed a trail that was really slick for a long way and just checked our gps location as we went along to make sure we were headed the right way. We ended up running into 2 girls who had been lost for 2 hours and were coming from the direction we were prob going to go. If you see a cable don’t follow that. So we went a different direction and found the stairs very soon after going up a steep hill with ropes. The trail that we took through the forest was very clear and easy to follow We never saw the security guard bc we started maybe 15-20 feet up the stairs. From hopping the fence to the 1st platform it took us 1 hr 10 min. That was our best views the whole day bc of the clouds. To get all the way to the radar station it took us 2 hrs 30 min. It was extremely cloudy with no views of anything. We then started down the backside of Moanalua Ridge. It was really muddy and there was one really long rope section that was very slick and pretty sketch. You get some pretty incredible views going this way. There is a long boring section where you basically just walk on a gravel road. We made it back to the trailhead in 6 hrs 10 min. We stopped and took a LOT of pictures. I estimate that in total we stopped for 45 min to 1 hr. We took an uber back to the car that cost $30ish.

If you go this way you need to have at least 2 liters of water and plenty of snacks or a lunch. We both had trail runner shoes and that helped with all the slick mud. We brought pullovers/lightweight jackets and I put mine on at the very top. We also brought gloves but didn’t use them. If you start in a neighborhood just be respectful of people sleeping.

Overall we had an amazing experience!!

Amazing time Sunday 10/8/17 hitting the stairs! The cops ARE ON IT right now. We arrived at 3:45am and he was just sitting there with his window down right next to the only street you turn in to park. We needed a plan B. He knew EXACTLY what we were doing but we were sold out to do the hike. After debating and scouting for another way we came up with a different strategy and it worked like a charm. Parked about a mile away and called an Uber. We had the Uber drop us right in front of the drainage ditch. An hr behind schedule and nervous as our Uber past the waiting Cop we jumped out stealth style as to not disrupt the neighborhood and jumped the fence leading to the drainage in less than 15 seconds for both of us. We ran straight up the drainage and out of sight AND off into the "jungle route" to the "secret govt road" and into the Bamboo Forest. The security guard could see us when we hit the stairs but he didn't care at all. The nerves of avoiding the law were gone, no neighbors bothered and up we went! I did Koko Head 2 days before and was SORE but that left quick as I warmed up FAST. The trip up to the first platform, and onto the second were challenging to the next level (physically demanding) but Koko Head was a good boot camp. You will sweat, heart pounding, and your thighs will scream for mercy if you aren't in excellent shape...BUT even if you're not... if you are determined you will make it!! I saw a few people who were not in good shape, IN PAIN but man were they beaming when they reached the tower at the top! Everyone made them feel great! The views are indescribable on the climb up. Majestic, Surreal and a reminder of how small we are and how big nature really is. This is not for anyone with a serious issue with heights. If you're just "afraid of heights" this hike could cure you! It did it for my best friend. There were clear sky's all the way up because of our delay with the cop at the bottom. The last half of the stairs is easier physically than the first. Met a ton of cool folks at the top! 3/4 of them reached the platform thru the Manoa Saddle Ridge. After an hr or so at the top with music, good company and conversations about the law waiting at the bottom we decided why not see another hiking trail in our limited time in Oahu. We took the Trail Ridge down the other side instead of the stairs. This was one of the best decisions I made adventuring although much more challenging physically than the hr long trek down the Haiku Stairs. It took 2.5 hrs to get down Manoa Ridge because of photos and the long 3 mile nature walk out to the parking lot when we got down from the trail. Manoa was EPIC AND SO UNDER RATED FOR BEAUTY. It was a lot of fun. It cost $23 with Uber to him on H3 and drive right back by the stairs we had started up hours earlier! That was a cool way to finish. We were exhausted but fired up! We rested our legs yesterday and then we tackled 3 Peaks this morning. We didn't plan to do the 3rd Peak "Akihi" but said we would go till we felt it wasn't safe. It never happened! The ropes down Manoa trail were a great training ground for the famous Olomana Trail. As much as I loved the Stairs and Manoa...the challenge this morning and truly conquering our fear was the best experience of our trip! I am in a lot better shape and we used Go Pro6 to document every home from start to finish! Oahu is unbelievable!!! So much better for hiking than it is hanging around Waikiki and that scene. This trip woke up a desire to hit more trails and make great memories! Have a blast everyone!

D

We are on Oahu until Tuesday, 11th. Would love to do the hike some time this week with someone who has done it before.
E-Mail: gsammy@gmx.de

Get your legs in shape to meet the more than 9000 steps between going up and down. Bring a good pair of hiking boots too, trail through the woods can get very muddy and the steps can be wet and slippery. Water proof Gloves with some grip will go a long way as you hold
On to rails many at times are entire verticals. Temps can vary at base to summit so bring a jacket especially a waterproof one since it tends to get cloud cover and misty as you ascend. Views are spectacular but heights can be Intimidating on sheer stairs.

looking to do the hike sometime this weekend. two brothers in their 20's. anyone else interested?! email salemhoff@gmail.com

I'm looking to do the Haiku hike on October 14th. Let me know if you're experienced with the trail or up for it.
713-269-7825

with the trail being on private property and closed, along with rumors of fines up to $1,000. How are folks still knocking this one out? I've heard of alternate ways to do this hike via Tripler Ridge. Does anyone have any information on this? If So, please text (503) 974-8128

Illegal and Guarded, AND as of Sept 2017, police officer assigned to patrol the area.

In order to get to the stairs you will be trespassing on private property. You can be ticketed, fined up to $1000 and given a court date. Serious shit.

Allow me start with a few pointers IF you decide to "Cheeeeeee!!!! Chance 'em baaaaah!!!"

1. Malama ka aina
Respect the land. Love it. Leave it cleaner than when you came.

2. Respect the residents
How would you like it if loud groups of people walked by your house or worse thru your yard in the middle of the night, waking you up, making your dog bark, scaring your kids... You'd be pissed. So go into NINJA-MODE. Be like da' Menehune! Put your phone on silent, step lightly, and shut your mouth! until you're out of range of the houses. Don't even set the car alarm, use the key to lock it.

3. Respect other hikers
By following one and two, and not ruining things for others.

In other words... just have some common sense and courtesy. Don't be a dick.

What should be in your pack:
-Water, I'd take 2 liters
-Windbreaker, its windy and cold up there!
-Gloves for grip, not the cold, cheap rubber /cloth gardening kind are best.
-Patience, take your time going down. It can be slippery and hard on the knees.
Vitamin I (ibuprofen) in case the knees are too sore lol
-Headlamp
-Food/Snacks
-Trash bag for your own stuff and anything else you're willing to take.

It is surreal, and a truly one-of-a-kind experience. You climb from the base of the mountain to an elevation of nearly 3000ft and almost 4000 steps, to an old WWII era radio antenna, and bunker. Does that sound like a lot? Maybe. But if you are in reasonably good shape, it's really not that tough. Going up should take 90 minutes give or take.

Climbing up the stairs at night is a real experience. A headlamp is helpful at a few parts, but otherwise I love going up with no lights. You really don't need any most of the way.

In my opinion, it is not nearly as scary or dangerous as it is made out to be.

They're stairs. My God...!!

Okay sure, some sections are vertical, effectively turning the stairs into a ladder. So are ladders scary? It's high up! But you have railings to hold onto almost the entire time. Unless you have a very strong fear of heights, you'll be okay.

I've been up here twice, first by myself. Second, a friend was supposed to come but couldn't make it - so by myself again! The running joke is that I reaaaaaaaallly want to do Haiku Stairs... with someone. For once. Ha. *tear* (not and invitation lol)

I've got up the back way via Moanalua Middle a bunch more times. That hike alone is amazing and worth it, even without the reward of seeing the stairs.

IG @niiimz_

Hey! Two of us are wanting to do this tomorrow morning (9/20) and are looking for someone who knows the hike a little better to join. Or if someone has a group going and is open to two more. :) let me know. IG: ekadric

looking to do the hike either 17th or 18th September with people! dm me on Instagram @louishouiller

Aloha,

My brother & I are looking for someone to do the Haiku Stairs september 17. Please contact chubbyproducties@gmail.com

Mahalo,

Robert

Woke up quite early to try and beat the security guard. He was already there...so we bushwacked a bit parallel to the stairs themselves to avoid him. Caught a remarkable sunrise as we finally found the stairs. Once we got close to the top, a pretty thick fog / cloud rolled in and visibility was nil...but up to that point the scenery was absolutely amazing. Don't let the illegality of this hike deter you! It's totally worth it. Just be stealthy!