Haiku Stairs [CLOSED/ PRIVATE PROPERTY]

HARD 1,280 reviews

Haiku Stairs [CLOSED/ PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

closed

private property

NOTE: This trail is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC and violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the stairs is ILLEGAL and trespassing on government property. A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on in 2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway itself, rendering it dangerous and unusable. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine. The ONLY LEGAL WAY to get to the TOP of the Haiku Stairs can be found here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/moanalua-valley-trail-to-the-haiku-stairs-stairway-to-heaven. Again, it is ILLEGAL to be on the HAIKU Stairs at any point along the route.

Did ir this morning, DO IT THROUGH ANCHOR CHURCH, best emtrance, security doesnt care, police is all over Haiku Village

Aloha! Hiked the last 4 days and will be hiking both days this weekend too! Had an awesome time hiking this past weekend and last week as well. I have hiked most of the hikes on this island many many times! It is often windy and/or rainy but we never have issues as we always have the right gear when we go. If you're looking to hike and want to link up or get some ideas of what this trail looks like feel free to reach out to me on my Instagram @mike.karas or mikekarasphotography@gmail.com. Bring plenty of water for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii.

Thinking about going for the first time tomorrow morning dm me pls if your going! @fast.fit.fuel

Hello all! My wife and I would love to do this hike with a guide or anyone with experience. Willing to pay for your time. We will be on the island from August 5-11. Please email me at bpochoa@hotmail.com.

I will climb the Haʻikū Stairs, aka Stairway to Heaven, Saturday, July 21st for the 274rd time.

The most recent post on my Instagram @Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt will give you an idea for an impactful photo perspective.

5 things you should know about the hike:

(1) It is the safest way to reach that elevation on Oahu. Over the last 70+ years, no one has ever died falling on the stairs.

(2) There is a ton of trash at the top. Bring a folded heavy-duty trash bag to help with that.

(3) No matter what, don’t go near homes!

Think: when is the last time you woke up at 3am and whispered: "Honey I think there's someone outside the house!"

Most neighbors are friendly, but some are aggressive and even violent. Tourist blood has spilled in the neighborhood more than once in the past year.

(4) The back way is less safe, but worth considering.

A ticket on the stairs is common and the judges have gotten tired of the case. The charge is Second Degree Criminal Trespass with these components:

(1) $1,000 fine
(1) Three dates, each about two months apart at the Kaneohe Courthouse
(2) Jail, no longer than 6 months. (incarnation is rare, averaging 1.6 out of 100 tickets)
(3) Legal fees (a defense attorney charges $800 - $1,500 for the case)
(4) Usually 60 hours of community service.
(5) Legal fees for expungement after some years of a clean record.
(6) Visa/Immigration hurdles.
(7) Impact on professional life.
(8) Return travel and accommodations to attend court, community service, etc.

The financial setback ranges from $3,000 for an average local, up into the hundreds of thousands over the length of a career for military members reduced in rank, professional licenses affected, working visas denied, etc.

Public record shows hundreds of tickets a month, but I suppose everyone standing in court started their morning hike knowing they had done the research.

There are techniques, but to be fair, everything posted online is a bit comical.

Two tips:
⁃ The guard is usually friendly and does not have the power to give anyone a ticket.
⁃ The police have internet also and are good at what they do all day every day.

(5) This is the real Hawai’i!

When I go, I approach peacefully and respectfully.

As we climb we are immersed, perhaps because we step “into” the experience 3,922 times. The activity melts our physical senses, and opens us to sense spirit. We rise from civilization to magic.

At the top, we savor hot foods and reflect for a couple hours in comfort, allowing the memory of the feeling to become part of us before the senses of civilization erase the nuances of that raw truth from our attention.

People think I go for the epic view, but along the way they recognize their own reflection in nature. They discover that they share an energetic blueprint with a land so majestic and find new appreciation for the landscape of their own soul.

They find that they climbed a mountain to see themselves in new light, so that the sunrise was the second, third or forth best part of the day.

They alway say: “I had no idea it was going to be this good.” Always with smiles, sometimes in tears.

I might skip a week or go twice a day, but even after so many times, once I start I’m lost on it again.

Aloha
@Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt

Hello all! I will be in Hawaii from August 14 to 21. I would like to climb this mountain. If somebody has experience and want to hike it with me please let me know IG: aldocarrion email: aldocarrion88@gmail.com

Hit the stairs this afternoon, super chill climb. My favorite place to go every time I visit the island. Will probably be going a couple more times next week before I leave. Hmu if you're trying to come with IG: @peculiarmo
Sidenote: don't take the suggestions off of the web and go between the ungodly hours of 2-6 am. People are trying to sleep and dogs will bark when you're making your way in. Most of the security guards are chill and if they're not, just climb around.

The best hiking in my life

Awesome hike, I went the back way the other day, it got pretty muddy and wet towards the top. If you have crampons that might help. I'm thinking of going this weekend. if you'd like to join send me a message on instagram @angelo_q. Make sure to bring food and water and maybe some layers because it can get pretty windy and wet up top.

I will be in Hawái in September between the 13-20 and would like to do the stairs. Any tips?
Thank you. Please feel free to email vargasgustavo89@gmail.com

Worth the risk

Looks like is not a hike -it's a latter climbing. went up in 2.5 hours with some 15-20 rest on first and second platform to the radio tower .lucky it wasn't raining to first platform and have chance to do few pics. but more up in cloud with heavy wind and misty rain. next day you defenetly will feel that you did some workout. get water 2 lit. at least , good shoes ,gloves, i use main entrance, and hope that you not will be cited.

Done this hike before. Awesome hike looking to do this hike again tomorrow 6-16th at -Will have group of 4 if anyone interested. Instagram tattoodavenyc

Hi guys a group of 4 of us will be wanting to climb the stairs. We are visiting the island and would really love to accomplish this beautiful place. But we would love to go with someone that has done the hike. I have read so much online and I’m kinda nervous about it. We will be in Oahu from June 23 to the 27. Please dm on instagram if you would be willing to join us. I am super friendly I promise you’ll have a good time. ;) lol ig is mayulys_hartman

Hi, my friend and I would like to do this hike between the 2,3 or 4 of this month. Dm me on instagram if you are willing to do this with us ! @__carolune

Got busted this morning by a cop patrolling this morning

Trying to do this hike Memorial Day. Looking for some hikers to join, if interested pls email me!
Jhutch_one@yahoo.com

Taking the legal way up today, attempted to do the stairs this morning and there is a police officer posted and waiting in the neighborhood.

Any tips email me at megan_huffstetler@hotmail.com

Hi Guys! Dying to do this hike tomorrow 17th or 18th of may. I would like to meet someone who will be doing this hike. Please send me an e-mail b.bekir@outlook.com

Will be hiking up May 20th early morning. pls email me bernie071492@yahoo.com

Wondering if anyone wants to go up Early Saturday morning?
ig: jjred7

Hey guys! I’m looking for anyone that would be interested to hike up the Haiku Stairs on May 20th early morning start. Message me on Instagram @kristoffpin

Anybody interested in climbing the stairs Wednesday morning? 9th May. Was thinking about going up the stairs and down the back way.

creil26@hotmail.com

Looking to do this hike with my drone someday between 18/5 and 21/5 hoping to find a hiking buddy or two.
31 year old Aussie male, get in contact with me nortonshannon@hotmail.com

hiked the stairs using only the 2 am moonlight to guide my way. what an unforgettable experience!

Hi there,

I'm planning on doing the Haiku Stairs tomorrow 30th April. Anyone else interested in joining. You can email me at vgupt93@gmail.com. Weather is looking to be good!

Cheers all.

My girlfriend and I would like to do this hike on 5/6 or 5/7. If their is someone available to guide us that is familiar with the hike, we will be open to paying. Email me at onefastcobra@gmail.com. Thank you.

looking to hike the stairway from 5-11th April. Anyone going who has been before and know how to avoid problems?

26 yrs old, physically fit, photographer. give me a message if you want to join! FB: Lliam clayton....

Aloha! looking for someone to hike with today or tomorrow. Let me know! ig: @emma.716

It is amazing, breath taking, gorgeous and one of the most beautiful places on earth... This hike will be full of adrenaline and a bit of fear but it’s worth it!!! You have to do it no matter what :-) Remember be kind to OUR Mother Nature and if you took anything with you - take it back!!!! Do not leave trashes in Mother Nature’s house !!! If You will be as lucky as we were You will not meet security officer on the beginning of your way but be careful on your way back... He will be there waiting for you and your