Haiku Stairs [CLOSED/ PRIVATE PROPERTY]

HARD 1,266 reviews

Haiku Stairs [CLOSED/ PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

closed

private property

NOTE: This trail is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC and violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the stairs is ILLEGAL and trespassing on government property. A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on in 2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway itself, rendering it dangerous and unusable. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine. The ONLY LEGAL WAY to get to the TOP of the Haiku Stairs can be found here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/moanalua-valley-trail-to-the-haiku-stairs-stairway-to-heaven. Again, it is ILLEGAL to be on the HAIKU Stairs at any point along the route.

I climbed the stairs Sun, May 20th for the 252nd time. I’ll hike again in a couple days.

The most recent post on my Instagram @Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt will give you an idea for an impactful photo perspective.

5 things you should know about the hike:

(1) It is the safest way to reach that elevation on Oahu. Over the last 70+ years, no one has ever died falling on the stairs.

(2) There is a ton of trash at the top. Bring a folded heavy-duty trash bag to help with that.

(3) No matter what, don’t go near homes!

Think: when is the last time you woke up at 3am and whispered: "Honey I think there's someone outside the house!"

Most neighbors are friendly, but some are aggressive and even violent. Tourist blood has spilled in the neighborhood more than once in the past year.

(4) The back way is less safe, but worth considering.

A ticket on the stairs is common and the judges have gotten tired of the case. The charge is Second Degree Criminal Trespass with these components:

(1) $1,000 fine
(1) Three dates, each about two months apart at the Kaneohe Courthouse
(2) Jail, no longer than 6 months. (incarnation is rare, averaging 1.6 out of 100 tickets)
(3) Legal fees (a defense attorney charges $800 - $1,500 for the case)
(4) Usually 60 hours of community service.
(5) Legal fees for expungement after some years of a clean record.
(6) Visa/Immigration hurdles.
(7) Impact on professional life.
(8) Return travel and accommodations to attend court, community service, etc.

The financial setback ranges from $3,000 for an average local, up into the hundreds of thousands over the length of a career for military members reduced in rank, professional licenses affected, working visas denied, etc.

Public record shows hundreds of tickets a month, but I suppose everyone standing in court started their morning hike knowing they had done the research.

There are techniques, but to be fair, everything posted online is a bit comical.

Two tips:
⁃ The guard is usually friendly and does not have the power to give anyone a ticket.
⁃ The police have internet also and are good at what they do all day every day.

(5) This is the real Hawai’i!

When I go, I approach peacefully and respectfully.

As we climb we are immersed, perhaps because we step “into” the experience 3,922 times. The activity melts our physical senses, and opens us to sense spirit. We rise from civilization to magic.

At the top, we savor hot foods and reflect for a couple hours in comfort, allowing the memory of the feeling to become part of us before the senses of civilization erase the nuances of that raw truth from our attention.

People think I go for the epic view, but along the way they recognize their own reflection in nature. They discover that they share an energetic blueprint with a land so majestic and find new appreciation for the landscape of their own soul.

They find that they climbed a mountain to see themselves in new light, so that the sunrise was the second, third or forth best part of the day.

They alway say: “I had no idea it was going to be this good.” Always with smiles, sometimes in tears.

I might skip a week or go twice a day, but even after so many times, once I start I’m lost on it again.

Aloha
@Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt

Hiked both days this past weekend and a couple weekdays last week as well. I have hiked most of the hikes on this island many many times! It was windy and/or rainy a couple of the days but no issues as we had the right gear. If you're looking to hike and want to link up or get some ideas of what this trail looks like feel free to reach out to me and check out @mike.karas on instagram or mikekarasphotography@gmail.com. Bring plenty of water for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii.

Got busted this morning by a cop patrolling at 4 am.. anyone know of a good way up Instagram me please!! @bellebrown88

Trying to do this hike Memorial Day. Looking for some hikers to join, if interested pls email me!
Jhutch_one@yahoo.com

Hiked today! Hiking again this weekend. I have hiked most of the hikes on this island many many times! Going to be windy. If you're looking to hike and want to link up feel free to reach out to me @mike.karas on instagram or mikekarasphotography@gmail.com. Bring plenty of water for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii.

Taking the legal way up today, attempted to do the stairs this morning and there is a police officer posted and waiting in the neighborhood.

Any tips email me at megan_huffstetler@hotmail.com

Hi Guys! Dying to do this hike tomorrow 17th or 18th of may. I would like to meet someone who will be doing this hike. Please send me an e-mail b.bekir@outlook.com

Will be hiking up May 20th early morning. pls email me bernie071492@yahoo.com

Wondering if anyone wants to go up Early Saturday morning?
ig: jjred7

Hey guys! I’m looking for anyone that would be interested to hike up the Haiku Stairs on May 20th early morning start. Message me on Instagram @kristoffpin

Anybody interested in climbing the stairs Wednesday morning? 9th May. Was thinking about going up the stairs and down the back way.

creil26@hotmail.com

Looking to do this hike with my drone someday between 18/5 and 21/5 hoping to find a hiking buddy or two.
31 year old Aussie male, get in contact with me nortonshannon@hotmail.com

hiked the stairs using only the 2 am moonlight to guide my way. what an unforgettable experience!

Hi there,

I'm planning on doing the Haiku Stairs tomorrow 30th April. Anyone else interested in joining. You can email me at vgupt93@gmail.com. Weather is looking to be good!

Cheers all.

My girlfriend and I would like to do this hike on 5/6 or 5/7. If their is someone available to guide us that is familiar with the hike, we will be open to paying. Email me at onefastcobra@gmail.com. Thank you.

looking to hike the stairway from 5-11th April. Anyone going who has been before and know how to avoid problems?

26 yrs old, physically fit, photographer. give me a message if you want to join! FB: Lliam clayton....

Aloha! looking for someone to hike with today or tomorrow. Let me know! ig: @emma.716

It is amazing, breath taking, gorgeous and one of the most beautiful places on earth... This hike will be full of adrenaline and a bit of fear but it’s worth it!!! You have to do it no matter what :-) Remember be kind to OUR Mother Nature and if you took anything with you - take it back!!!! Do not leave trashes in Mother Nature’s house !!! If You will be as lucky as we were You will not meet security officer on the beginning of your way but be careful on your way back... He will be there waiting for you and your

looking for a hiking buddy for the stairs sometime in the next three days! Im a laid back 21 year old dude from San Diego. let me know if anyone is down! ig: tonypiana

Do this before you die. The view will all be worth it. Be respectful to the neighbors and don’t make to much noise. And be aware of police patrol.

Doing the stairs next week hopefully! Already done it once, but looking for someone to lead a few of us! Message me on IG for date & time B___morse

I want to do the stairs but have no one to go with as of yet. I’ll be here until March 26th if anyone’s going and wouldn’t mind me tagging along pleae let me know! Message me on IG: chris_paini

Beautiful!

The fact that this climb is verboten makes it more appealing to thrill seekers, miscreants, and those who believe no trail should be off limits and that hiking is always at your own risk. Clearly this makes it a big problem for the neighborhood and it's a shame there isn't a better resolution than posting cops and security. How much does it cost to employ the police and security? How much money is actually made off of the steep fines? How much would it cost to just gate the community? How much would it cost to build a small parking area and charge for permits? How much does it cost every time someone has to get air rescued? I'm not directly involved in these politics, hopefully Friends of Haiku Stairs can sort it out.

Upon entering Haiku Village, you will almost certainly be greeted by an unmarked police vehicle wherever you decide to park. Perhaps the officer will politely tell you that hiking here is illegal and that there have been acts of violence from the locals and vandalism to hiker's vehicles, and then tell you to be safe and respectful before driving away. Be sure that more cops continue to lurk around waiting for you to take one trespassing step.

My friend and I did not enter through the most common route, probably the second most common, and started at 8am, not 3am as so many seem to recommend. This made it much easier to find the way since we weren't familiar enough to find it in the dark. Entering with more than 2 people will greatly increase your chances of being caught, but will also give you extra hands to pick up THE INORDINATE AMOUNT OF TRASH on the way to the stairs. Normally I bring a trash bag or at least fill my pack with all the unwanted gifts left behind on a trail: no need for that here! The highway above just rains unused contractor bags to fill. This was a dream come true for us. Much of the garbage is debris from the highway (gardening tools, tires, tons of plastic sheet), but a lot is clearly from adventurous hikers who were just too tired to carry that water bottle.

We spent a couple hours filling bags and stashing them before even getting on the stairs. Sadly, there is a lot of trash on each side of the stairs that is unreachable with out some sort of telescoping prosthetic limb. Perhaps that's how the couple ended up getting air rescued the day after we hiked; they saw that Powerade bottle that someone took one sip from then decided to see what it looked like on the side of a mountain, and went for it. :/
Should an air rescue be charged to the hiker or the taxpayer? Hmm...

Expect many people at the top, mostly those who went the legal way. 2 hours on actual stairs to get to the top, less then one down, and then 2 more hours of picking up trash on the way out. Some strangers who hiked the legal way asked us to show them the illegal way out, which we said was a no, and we'd be busy picking up trash anyway. They were extremely excited to pick up trash, so then it was a yes, hired. It was disappointing to only have collected over 3 full contractor bags each weighing about 40 pounds, but it's all we could carry. Navigating muddy sliding hills, bamboo forest, thick brush, complex root systems, trenches and fences while carrying a backpack and giant bags of trash felt like a training scene from a martial arts flick.

Altogether thoroughly satisfied with the little we could do in one day to help keep all the fine human made stuff we produce from ending up in the ocean, even if it's a losing battle. The stairs were just OK.

we went through the back end of the stairs, the legal way on 2/26/18.. it rained on us, it was windy and muddy.. definitely hard and challenging...but rewarding once you make it to the top...not for beginners.. be prepared for a long hike with a little rope climbing... thanks @mike.karas on IG for hooking it up with guidance on how to get there, spikes for our shoes and gloves.. I highly recommend going through him if you've never been there

Looking to hike the stairs for the first time on Saturday March 10th! We have a group of 4-5 so far. If anyone wants to join or lead, email me! laurenpark15@gmail.com

Or if anyone has another car. We’re thinking maybe we’ll go up the stairs, and down the longer (legal) way. And we’ll need a car on that side to use when we’re done!

Went through moanalua ridge at 3am and hiked till 6:45am. It’s rainy, misty,slippery and walking through a cloud with High wind blowing. It doable but tiring

anyone doing this between 4th and 6th march..email me at sharath49u@gmail.com

It’s anyone down to hike with us on the 13th of March, if you do dm me @born2die_traveling

me and some friends are planning to go this weekend, between Feb 24 to 26.. we've never been and really wanna experience this amazing hike.. anyone interested in joining us, especially someone who's been there.. pls email me .. sherms777@gmail.com