HARD 1,245 reviews

Haiku Stairs [CLOSED/ PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

private property

NOTE: This trail is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC and violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the stairs is ILLEGAL and trespassing on government property. A powerful storm passed over the island of Oahu on in 2015 which caused significant damage to the stairway itself, rendering it dangerous and unusable. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine. The ONLY LEGAL WAY to get to the TOP of the Haiku Stairs can be found here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii/moanalua-valley-trail-to-the-haiku-stairs-stairway-to-heaven. Again, it is ILLEGAL to be on the HAIKU Stairs at any point along the route.

4 minutes ago

Aloha! I do various guided hikes with photos on Oahu. I hike often/weekly. I hiked this past week and this weekend and will be hiking this week Thursday and this weekend as well. Feel free to check out some examples of photos on my instagram @mike.karas. You can message me there or at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com

I want to do the stairs but have no one to go with as of yet. I’ll be here until March 26th if anyone’s going and wouldn’t mind me tagging along pleae let me know! Message me on IG: chris_paini

I’ll climb the stairs Fri, Mar 23rd for the 234th time.

The most recent post on my Instagram @Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt will give you an idea for an impactful photo perspective.

5 things you should know about the hike:

(1) It is the safest way to reach that elevation on Oahu.

Over the last 70+ years, no one has ever died falling on the stairs*.

(2) There is a ton of trash at the top.

Bring a folded heavy-duty trash bag to help with that.

(3) No matter what, don’t go near homes!

Think: when is the last time you woke up at 3am and whispered: "Honey I think there's someone outside the house!"

Two people have recently been shot on the street by a high powered air rifle fired near the intersection of Kuneki and Makena. That was wrong of the shooter, but also not surprising.

(4) The back way is more dangerous, but worth considering.

Near the base of the stairs, there is one unmarked Honolulu Police Department vehicle roaming to catch hikers.

After the November 12th escape of killer Randall Saito from the mental facility behind the neighborhood, security is on best behavior using off-road vehicles to apprehend hikers.

On a usual morning, a roving HPD officer, a stationary guard and two roving guards secure the area.

The penalty has some variables, but here are the components:

(1) $1,000 fine
(2) Jail, no longer than 6 months. (incarnation is rare)
(3) Legal fees (a defense attorney charges $800 - $1,500 for the case)
(4) Usually 80 hours of community service.
(5) Legal fees for expungement.
(6) Visa/Immigration hurdles
(7) Impact on professional life.
(8) Return travel and accommodations to attend court, community service, etc.

The setback ranges from $3,000 for simple cases, up into the hundreds of thousands over the length of a career for military members reduced in rank, folks who lose their security clearance or a professional license, etc.

Going up the front way, as amazing as it is, is not worth playing Russian roulette with the penalty, so don’t “just risk the ticket”.

Have a plan.

‘Three routes through the bamboo forest’ would be where I’d be if I were looking to catch you. Just saying.

The fact that this climb is verboten makes it more appealing to thrill seekers, miscreants, and those who believe no trail should be off limits and that hiking is always at your own risk. Clearly this makes it a big problem for the neighborhood and it's a shame there isn't a better resolution than posting cops and security. How much does it cost to employ the police and security? How much money is actually made off of the steep fines? How much would it cost to just gate the community? How much would it cost to build a small parking area and charge for permits? How much does it cost every time someone has to get air rescued? I'm not directly involved in these politics, hopefully Friends of Haiku Stairs can sort it out.

Upon entering Haiku Village, you will almost certainly be greeted by an unmarked police vehicle wherever you decide to park. Perhaps the officer will politely tell you that hiking here is illegal and that there have been acts of violence from the locals and vandalism to hiker's vehicles, and then tell you to be safe and respectful before driving away. Be sure that more cops continue to lurk around waiting for you to take one trespassing step.

My friend and I did not enter through the most common route, probably the second most common, and started at 8am, not 3am as so many seem to recommend. This made it much easier to find the way since we weren't familiar enough to find it in the dark. Entering with more than 2 people will greatly increase your chances of being caught, but will also give you extra hands to pick up THE INORDINATE AMOUNT OF TRASH on the way to the stairs. Normally I bring a trash bag or at least fill my pack with all the unwanted gifts left behind on a trail: no need for that here! The highway above just rains unused contractor bags to fill. This was a dream come true for us. Much of the garbage is debris from the highway (gardening tools, tires, tons of plastic sheet), but a lot is clearly from adventurous hikers who were just too tired to carry that water bottle.

We spent a couple hours filling bags and stashing them before even getting on the stairs. Sadly, there is a lot of trash on each side of the stairs that is unreachable with out some sort of telescoping prosthetic limb. Perhaps that's how the couple ended up getting air rescued the day after we hiked; they saw that Powerade bottle that someone took one sip from then decided to see what it looked like on the side of a mountain, and went for it. :/
Should an air rescue be charged to the hiker or the taxpayer? Hmm...

Expect many people at the top, mostly those who went the legal way. 2 hours on actual stairs to get to the top, less then one down, and then 2 more hours of picking up trash on the way out. Some strangers who hiked the legal way asked us to show them the illegal way out, which we said was a no, and we'd be busy picking up trash anyway. They were extremely excited to pick up trash, so then it was a yes, hired. It was disappointing to only have collected over 3 full contractor bags each weighing about 40 pounds, but it's all we could carry. Navigating muddy sliding hills, bamboo forest, thick brush, complex root systems, trenches and fences while carrying a backpack and giant bags of trash felt like a training scene from a martial arts flick.

Altogether thoroughly satisfied with the little we could do in one day to help keep all the fine human made stuff we produce from ending up in the ocean, even if it's a losing battle. The stairs were just OK.

we went through the back end of the stairs, the legal way on 2/26/18.. it rained on us, it was windy and muddy.. definitely hard and challenging...but rewarding once you make it to the top...not for beginners.. be prepared for a long hike with a little rope climbing... thanks @mike.karas on IG for hooking it up with guidance on how to get there, spikes for our shoes and gloves.. I highly recommend going through him if you've never been there

Looking to hike the stairs for the first time on Saturday March 10th! We have a group of 4-5 so far. If anyone wants to join or lead, email me! laurenpark15@gmail.com

Or if anyone has another car. We’re thinking maybe we’ll go up the stairs, and down the longer (legal) way. And we’ll need a car on that side to use when we’re done!

Went through moanalua ridge at 3am and hiked till 6:45am. It’s rainy, misty,slippery and walking through a cloud with High wind blowing. It doable but tiring

anyone doing this between 4th and 6th march..email me at sharath49u@gmail.com

It’s anyone down to hike with us on the 13th of March, if you do dm me @born2die_traveling

me and some friends are planning to go this weekend, between Feb 24 to 26.. we've never been and really wanna experience this amazing hike.. anyone interested in joining us, especially someone who's been there.. pls email me .. sherms777@gmail.com

Heading there March 2-12 an would love to do this hike with someone, specially someone who has done it before :) there is 2-3 of us right now, feel free to email me karleeheide18@hotmail.com!!

Planning to hike for the second time around 19-21 of March 2018. Anyone who is keen to hike with me? Email me at mark.doldol@yahoo.co.nz (serious hikers only) landscape photographer here.

We are going on friday, 16. Feb. There is 2 of us. If someone is interest contact me. Andrijai87@yahoo.com

It’s more difficult to get to the stairs then before. If you don’t know the way, you’ll get caught. There’s about 20people per day trying to get to the stairs, they know where you are and how you’re getting there. It can still be done if you know the way. I hope the way doesn’t get posted online and ruin it.
I did this last week, up and back both ways and I’d say it’s easier going the back way now. Neither way is scarier than the other, except the back way has no fear of getting caught trespassing. The back way just takes 7 hours instead of 3-4 hours for the stairs.
It’s not worth risking the stairs and getting caught, when there’s another way. If people don’t stop going up the stairs soon, it will get closed forever.

Beautiful hike! Scary if you’re afraid of heights like me. The only thing is getting to the bottom of the stairs if you don’t take the back way. Could get lost for a while if you don’t know where you’re going.

Anyone doin haiku today?

It’s awesome! I went up the back way actually on a different trail that connects to the top. Be careful if you go up or down the stairs, there is a Gaurd

@Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Mat so how many times have you been busted? Based on the avg of times you have hiked this and how many times people get caught surely you've been stopped more than once now?

I’ll be there March 15-17 if anyone wants to hike this with me !
DM on ig me: ilovesaraa

Planning on hiking 2/3. Message me if interested! Insta: letshikephotography

Going to be in Oahu feb 3-7 anyone want to go with my gf and i. Never been. Hmu on my email jesusarroyo25@yahoo.com or my ig jebus25

Any one wanna go there before 1/29/18. We really wanna go. We can be together. Massage me on instagram hblssgn

Hi, We are looking to do this hike between 16-24th Feb. Is there anyone/a group that would be interested in doing this together? please email kirstinwong1990@gmail.com

looking to do this climb saturday january 27th! If anyone is going up and is willing to take an additional 3 people, please let me know! instagram @jessicacsea

Thanks! :)

amazing veiws

3rd time doing stairway - personally think canal route is easier. no gaurd at the bottom when we started and the gaurd in the morning said nothing. nice hike and views...tons of loud dogs in the neighborhood..be quiet

Hey everyone! Looking for someone experienced to go up with either the 13th or 14th of January early morning to see the sunrise. Please and thank you!!! My number is 2078083013. Visiting from Maine:)

Amazing sunrise hike