Haena Beach Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Keaau, Hawaii that features a great forest setting. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

beach

The jungle trail I give 2 stars. The opening to the coast however I’d give 5 (opens about 3/4 the way there).

When google takes you to a dead end turn left.

There was a sketchy man in the parking lot watching us from behind a bush so we waited by the car for a while to scope him out. When confronted he claimed he was peeing (didn’t seem right). We waited around the car for a bit longer and hid everything.

The sky poured off and on for us. We waited until it let up to start the hike. I highly recommend close toed shoes and to be prepared for bugs. Keep in mind the rain may wash whatever spray you have on. I slipped even in my boots and my friend got bit though he rarely does.

The hike is rough on feet and necks. I mention necks because the entire time in the jungle is watching where you step. It would be dangerous to look up with all the roots and mud while walking. It seemed everything looked the same though.

The worst part wasn’t the mud or the rain but the smell of rotting leaves. The deep mud was easy to avoid as there are smaller trails along the main one. Our shoes did change color but the rest of our clothes didn’t get muddy.

It continued to pour off and on so we were soaked and laughing before even reaching the end. We found it difficult to keep our phones dry(even our pockets were soaked). Phones survived though!

The coast is absolutely stunning. Maybe because you’re looking at mud for so long and smelling rot for so long, then the option for open and fresh air can’t be beat. It was hard to judge what was wet because of the ocean and wet because of the rain, and those waves can get you! Again, I was soaked.

We took the coast to the bay (much better than the jungle). It poured more and we remained soaked (and laughing).

There were only three other people there, one snorkeling two standing in the water. The bay touches private property where nene’s reside. Fresh water mixes with salt water, so if you have any open cuts don’t go in or at least stay where the water’s mostly salty. I didn’t risk it (I cut my toe and didn’t want to get sick with that freshwater thing people warn about. Plus swimming after rain is like asking to be sick sometimes).

Sitting there was very peaceful. We saw one turtle out on the rocks and let it be. The trees were wonderful shades of green and even in the overcast the water was blue.

We headed back and again it poured hard. We stood under a tree for a while. Obviously at this point we were already soaked, but we had no other way to protect our phones. This is where they stopped working. Pockets, shirts, hands, socks- everything was wet. I put my phone half into my pocket- a balance of enough to stay secure while the water from my pants didn’t get into the holes.

We hauled ass on our way back because we were late.

Loved the Bach! We were not fortunate enough to see any turtles - but no humans either ;) Had this awesome beach pool with crystal clear water for ourselves. Have to add to the earlier comments though that the hike - even with just some rain bevor is a mere mud hole... with mosquitos and stuff... The reward was worth it - but the hike was really not a pleasure... If you start and you hope it gets at least a little better after a while or the tarrain changes... nope... it does not - so don’t get your hopes up ;) Be sure to leave the beach early before dark.

Beautiful beach at the end with multiple turtles. Well worth the trek. We did it with 2 adults and 2 teens. The trail was muddy at times but we could always find a way around when needed. We wore tebmva sandals and we were fine - although our feet were sore at the end! Bring water it gets hot on the trail! Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Nice flat hike. Very easy by Hawaii standards. Plan on getting a little muddy. Shipman beach is great: Saw several sea turtles sunbathing on the rocks in the shallows. 4.75 miles from the parking lot to the beach and back as measured by my Garmin watch.

Did this in early May 2018. The location is accurate but go another 50 meters past the Google Maps stop to find the parking lot. This is more of a moderately difficult hike. It’s a straight trail directly to the beach but the path consists largely of rocks and roots from the canopy and lots and lots of mud. It’s possible to avoid most of the mud but it’s slow-going. We took about 75 min to get to the beach. Water is cold from the freshwater feeding into the bay. Saw about 6 sea turtles on the rocks. Very refreshing to hop into the water. No real snorkeling opportunities but the water is nice. Bring LOTS of water. It gets really hot and humid. The trail is tough on ankles and knees.

My family (me 47, husband 49, kids 14 and 12) really enjoyed this hike. We aren't the fittest family out there but we aren't the laziest either.... I would say it was more moderate than easy just due to length. It did not rain but it has been raining a lot here in the area. It was muddy but not bad. Wear good shoes. Rocks can be slippery. Beach is LOVELY. Cold water felt wonderful. We had no bug issues.

I would not categorize this as easy, more moderate ( for a fairly in shape 50+ year old). My normal on road walk is about 14 minutes per mile, this hike took a good hour one way. It was very wet and had to go off trail to get around standing water, that did slow things down. There is a pill box from World War II on the trail. The hike is really pretty, but the beach is spectacular and the water refreshing. We were warned not to go into the water near the north side of the beach, as people have drowned in that area. There were two large turtles on the lava rocks. Well worth the time. Bring water if it’s sunny out. Enjoy.

Easy hike to a fantastic beach that had a large family of turtles hanging out! Trail is marked and easy to follow.

A nice easy jaunt out and back. A few puddles that are easily traversed. It’s like you are going right through the jungle.
You end up at a beautiful white sand beach in a secluded cove. Best of all - there was a pack of sea turtles - 15 of them, sitting on the rocks having a turtle nap! They were amazing, breathtaking creatures. I’m not sure if they’re there every time, but that was really breathtaking to get up close and see these fantastic animals. We were there about 430pm, before the sun was setting and the tide was moving out.
The hike is worth it - do it!

The forest trail is a near total waste of time. Full of bugs, soggy, slippery, rocky, and (in December) full of path-blocking mud puddles. Worst, at the end of the trail, just before the beach, the trail becomes a swamp. You will sink in the mud, at least up to your knees, if you attempt to walk across it. It’s real-life quicksand. You may completely lose your shoes. A disgusting pit. Even if you make it to the “beach,” it’s steep, tiny, and NOT worth the walk. Stop at the cliffs and grassy area...that’s the better spot. Even still, the “forest trail” gets 1 star.

Taking the ocean trail, by contrast is vastly superior. Easy trail, with nothing that approximates real bouldering (as another post implied). Beautiful views throughout and way fewer bugs or obstacles. The “ocean trail” is exponentially better than its “forest” counterpart, and musters 3 stars.

A unique flaw: a mentally ill man, about 5’10” and 200lbs who drives a beat up silver/gray Hyundai Sonata, lurks in the parking lot. In broad daylight at 4:30pm, in the parking lot itself, he stalked and threatened my wife today. Speaking with a few locals, we found out he does this with regularity, even assaulting a woman by spraying something in her face recently. We called the police, and Hilo PD came swiftly, found him (by the ocean where he’d stalked us), and began to interrogate him. We left at this point. The mentally ill assailant gets zero stars.

The experience was magical.

I would have rated it moderate. despite no elevation gain, the trail poses some difficulty given the mud and uneven surface. the place is beautiful and tranquil, with the sound of the sea on the background all the way. the beach at the end is a treat and we saw turtles swimming.

Baignade dans une espèce de piscine naturelle, mais l’eau est très froide à cause du torrent qui se jette dans la mer à cet endroit. Nous avons eu la chance de voir 7 tortues

Monday, October 02, 2017

Beautiful little beach at the end of the trail. Well worth the journey to get here. Bring bug spray, water, and maybe a snack!

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Bring water and leave early to avoid the heat but a bucket list beach if you can be there alone. Having a bunch of kids in tow seemed to scare everyone away! Had a most excellent adventure!

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Known as Shipman Beach (if you Google that name, you'll be taken to the correct starting point). the path is amazingly easy up until right before the beach itself. It's a very nice walk, great views and the sound of the ocean the entire time. There's two paths - the ocean trail and the forest trail. I very much suggest the forest trail... the ocean trail is hard, wet, and going over boulders. If you follow the forest trail, it will lead to the ocean and you're nearly there! Continue until you see the beach. Remember where you popped out to the ocean, because you don't want to miss out on the way back! It's very easy to do. The beach is pretty, the ocean shallow, and it's a great place to spend a few hours. Beware - there is a rip tide on the far side, you'll see that's where the ocean comes in and out without the natural break. I've taken my dog a few times, it's perfect for him. The trail does go through a Nene reserve, so please make sure to leash dogs when going through. Other people also bring dogs, so be aware of that.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Loved it. It is rocky and muddy in spots, but clearly marked and the view at the end is worth every step.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Rocky path.

Friday, January 06, 2017

It's not an easy trail.
It is flat but very rocky and muddy. Your feet will hurt at the end. But it's beautiful.
It took us a good hour and a half each way.
There's a beach at the end. If you can't see it- then your not there yet. The trail ends at the beach.
We enjoyed it. If your with kids it will take much longer.
It was fun.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Nothing that deserves the name "trail".

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Since the Puna Trail goes for quite a distance, the trail out to Haena Beach is known as Shipman Beach (trail) after the family who owns most of the property. The trail through the jungle is relatively flat but super mucky. The end is a whitish sand beach, the only one in Puna. Many sea turtle frequent it, but the tides near the far end can be treacherous. Keep eye on everyone!

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Ends at the beach. In Hawaiian paradise park. Drive down kaloli street and it will dead end on beach road. There is a parking area lined by boulders. bring good hiking shoes, mosquitos spray and something for the beach at the end. Can be a loop also.