Friendship Gardens Trail

Friendship Gardens Trail is a 0.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kaneohe, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy hike. The additional hike up the ridge is fun and was accomplished by a 12 and 8 year old.

The kids and I needed a fun, quick excursion to get us out of the house, and this was the perfect fix! They love the tropical rainforest feel of the over growth, bamboo forest, and lots of unique plants. Some of the vegetation is marked, but most isn’t. There are two steeper points (easily tackled by a 3 & 5 year old with a little reminder to watch their step), and the views from the top are pretty beautiful. There happened to be a few sail boats on the water!
Parking wasn’t an issue for us since we came during the week, but it will definitely require planning for most people. There are two small dirt spots right at the start of the stairs leading into the trail (tiny overgrown sign marking), and there seems to be a few more dirt areas where people routinely park. However, be very careful that every inch of your car is on the dirt and not the pavement or else you’ll get a ticket. There are signs everywhere with that warning!
It’s a heck of an uphill hike if you can’t park at the trail head...be prepared for a harder hike to get started than the trail itself!

The trail is well kept and the view from the lookout over the bay is great. It's easy enough that my 6 and 3.5 year olds were able to go around twice and they wanted to go again. There's a structure about midway that has benches, where you can sit and have lunch or a snack or wait out the Windward and Mauka showers. We'll definitely go again. Use mosquito repellant. Especially if you will be going through the bamboo area.

This trail connects to a trail leading up to the ridge. There's a lot of California grass and it's pretty steep. It would've been difficult to get the kids back down, so we didn't go.

The biggest negative for this hike is parking. there's space for MAYBE two cars. It's a very narrow road without shoulders.

Great short trail with limited parking. My toddler was able to walk all of the trail with some assistance. Awesome view at top of the loop.

good little hike. my 1 year old could walk a lot of it. a lot more overgrown than we thought. quick and fun

A place with an interesting history; stop at the building to read about it. The loop trail provides a fun way to get to the spur with a great view of Kenoehe Bay. Beyond that is very challenging. If going late in the day, be sure to have a flashlight as the woods get dark at sunset.

Nice short hike, hiking up can be a little steep. Markers naming different type of plants which is nice to learn. Beautiful plants and flowers.

Short and sweet . Went early Sunday morning and we were able to park in front of it. Loved thit views

Short and sweet. Surrounded by lovely greenery and friendly neighborhood folks. Good for babywearing.

Super cool to explore! There is an amazing view if you get to the top you can look at the whole bay area! There is a really cool bamboo Forest section as well. I recommend it to everyone. It's a good skill level for everyone in a nice place to pack a lunch and just eat up there

We hiked beyond the Friendship Garden trail, passing several structures on Oneawa Hills , and followed the trail down to the state cemetry grounds exiting Lipalu St. Along the up and down ridge you get nice sweeping views.

Very fun and easy hike. We actually ended up on a different trail from this one, either way was an amazing sight at the top. Took my husband, daughter and dog

A very secluded hike located in the back of a neighborhood in Kaneohe. It is a very peaceful walk in the woods, with some beautiful flowers and bamboo. If you follow the trail all the way to it's end, you will reach a beautiful lookout point of K-bay.

Parking here, however, is not great. There are 2 spots right outside the trailhead and a warning stating if you are parked elsewhere with you wheels on the street, your car could be ticketed. This trail actual has an official website, so you can google it for more details.

For more on my adventure here, check out my blog post!

This was a pretty neat location, and I enjoyed my walk, but for the trouble it took to get there, trouble with limited to no parking area, and the short trail distance it was not my favorite. My 18mo old loved it, but he made me so nervous because if he tripped and fell he would've rolled off the cliff.

Easy trail. Nice plants to look at. Kapaa quarry hike is very overgrown tho.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Parking is very limited and when we went there were barricades at the trailhead as there was a semi track tie trailer scheduled to be on the very narrow neighborhood street. Ok .. this is a fun trail in which you can take an easy route or a more challenging route. We took the more challenging route, but did not have a chance to complete it due to the younglings in the group got tired. Pretty views of Kāne'ohe Bay and Kailua. Definitely going back to explore some more.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

A good little hike. Took me and four kids one hour to do the whole loop. Keep and eye out for ripe guava.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

great for kids

Saturday, September 10, 2016

This is a fairly easy walk, it's pretty dense gets muddy when it rains.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Fun hike with family, sort but you can draw it out. Small path slippery when wet