Ehukai Pillboxes

Ehukai Pillboxes is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Haleiwa, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Very family oriented, wide, easy, well graded trail. Only thing to watch out for are the junctions to the pillboxes and when its raining, it can get slippery. Some rope sections which could come handy when muddy and slippery.

Beautiful view. High traffic. Heavy cardio.

We’ve done this one twice and we have enjoyed it. The first part is very steep. We took a large dog and a small dog and they both did well. There were only a couple spots we had to help the little one.

Good fairly easy hike. The first .5 mile is pretty steep and if raining would be very muddy. You see the pillbox before you do the loop. The loop is not well marked and has many other trails that cross over.

Although this hike is quite short and easy, it's incredibly beautiful. Whether you want to explore more of the pine forest or sit atop one of the pillboxes and watch the ocean, you can spend a fair amount of time here. I LOVE the creativity of the graffiti in the pillboxes.

I recommend going when it's been dry, as the rain will just make this hike muddy and unpleasant. :)

Pleasantly serene with awesome views

Good little hike. Really easy to miss one turn though. When you get to the intersection of wide, well beaten paths, don't take any of them. The loop continues if you make a hairpin turn onto the small trail leading down the ravine.

It was a nice short hike, I don't think I'd rate it "moderate" compared to other "easy" hikes we have done on oahu, I'd say it was easy. It hadn't been to rainy lately so the mud was available. Beautiful trees, flowers, birds, views, & pigglets!

Good little hike not to bad it gets muddy in the beginning if it rained but I would just plan to do it if your going to go to the beach right afterwards!

Decent little hike with a mediocre view of North Shore. The graffiti art up at the pillbox was my favorite part which somewhat speaks to the lack of difficulty or reward on this one. Good for the family or bringing the dogs.

Nice short hike that even my teenagers enjoyed. Which is saying a lot.

Short hike. Good view. Wild pigs. Not too much mud. Steep enough to get my heart beating.

Cute little hike. Not strenuous at all despite being muddy and slippery as hell (definitely one of those hikes where it takes longer to get down than up). Pretty views of the North Shore from the top of the pillbox and I recommend exploring inside.

Fairly easy trail that didn’t take more than 2 hours, got lost a few times but easily found our way back to the trail.

Very quick/easy trail for an awesome view of north shore! Be ready for the incline!

I liked how much of the windward side of the island I saw from the peak. Rabbit island and Makapu’u to the south and the mountains to the north that border Kualoa ranch. I went when it was overcast and it was an enjoyable hike.

Great hike to see the sunset!

Great family hike! The pictures were very helpful in picking this hike. The views were great, the forest shade was nice, and the moderate beginning challenged everyone in a good way. My kiddos are 4, 6, 8, and 10 and didn't complain at all.

Good views. It is worth the short hike.

Esforço legal, vista muito bonita. Somente umas árvores que atrapalham um pouquinho. Vale a pena!

Steep, initially yes. The steps and ropes help in some places. The view from pill box 1 is beautiful. We tried to take the loop at the top, but couldn't find the turn from the road - it's confusing at the junction of 3 roads - so came back the same way. (Some blazes mark a side trail the used by mountain bikers.) It was pleasant nonetheless. Once back by the beginning of the road found the other end of the loop, but it's obscure. Use the map on this site to keep from going off trail. It began to rain as we began our downhill return. The mud, rocks and roots get slippery fast with very little moisture. A walking stick might have saved me from my fall. Not a flip-flop hike although there were plenty of people in them.

Trail is very pretty with some cool trees. There is a neat bunker at the top that you can walk in. The trail is not marked well and I ended up taking a different trail for a while.

Great short hike lot of up hill climbing.

Just finished this hike. It's VERY steep and slippery from the mud so take a trekking pole or stick if you have one. Use the rocks to stop your feet from sliding and hold on to the trees that line the trail for balance and to help you lift yourself up. You'll need your hands so be sure to take your belongings in a backpack or leave them in your car. Once pass the steep muddy stretch you'll see a picnic table that has a view of the beach. Rest here if you need to but from that point you're only a few minutes from the Pillbox. The trail splits off to the right which I didn't venture off to since no other hikers were going that way. The view from the Pillbox is nice and it's super breezy up there. I'd recommend doing this hike with at least one other person because you may need to help each other on the muddy sections. Overall it's a great hike for beginners. I'd definitely do it again.

Reasonably easy trail made somewhat challenging by slick mud when there have been recent rains. Great views of the northwest end of the island and surfers down below as well as two interestingly graffitied pillboxes. Can be a bit of a challenge to find the trail from the first pillbox to the second but just follow the ridge downward, keeping in mind that pillboxes were placed strategically on the ridge overlooking the ocean.

Nice simple hike and a beautiful view of the ocean

Great view

Good trail, well defined. Great views of Sunset beach at the top

Little short for me but still had great views and places to just enjoy the day. Would recommend.

Great for all ages! Easy to follow trail with multiple pillboxes.