Ehukai Pillboxes

Ehukai Pillboxes is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Haleiwa, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Very family oriented, wide, easy, well graded trail. Only thing to watch out for are the junctions to the pillboxes and when its raining, it can get slippery. Some rope sections which could come handy when muddy and slippery.

Fun hike when at the North Shore. Nice views and very easy to do when it is dry.

Not too challenging. Views weren’t as good as I hoped but it was a little cloudy. Pillboxes are interesting.

nice hike in beginning has a nice incline for about 15 min then mellows out

The hike was great. Cover with tress for lot of shade. Muddy but had good steps. Saw a lot of dogs and couples. The first pillbox is right in front of you. The other is off to the right down the mountain side past the do not enter sign. There are a bunch of trails trust me. 2 miles turned into 4 looking for the other pillbox.

Short trail with nice view. A little climb on the way up so you get your workout in. Good for trail running on the trail too.

Take great panoramic pics from the boxes

first 1/2 miles is a killer. High stairs all incline

Beautiful view. High traffic. Heavy cardio.

We’ve done this one twice and we have enjoyed it. The first part is very steep. We took a large dog and a small dog and they both did well. There were only a couple spots we had to help the little one.

Good fairly easy hike. The first .5 mile is pretty steep and if raining would be very muddy. You see the pillbox before you do the loop. The loop is not well marked and has many other trails that cross over.

Although this hike is quite short and easy, it's incredibly beautiful. Whether you want to explore more of the pine forest or sit atop one of the pillboxes and watch the ocean, you can spend a fair amount of time here. I LOVE the creativity of the graffiti in the pillboxes.

I recommend going when it's been dry, as the rain will just make this hike muddy and unpleasant. :)

Pleasantly serene with awesome views

Good little hike. Really easy to miss one turn though. When you get to the intersection of wide, well beaten paths, don't take any of them. The loop continues if you make a hairpin turn onto the small trail leading down the ravine.

It was a nice short hike, I don't think I'd rate it "moderate" compared to other "easy" hikes we have done on oahu, I'd say it was easy. It hadn't been to rainy lately so the mud was available. Beautiful trees, flowers, birds, views, & pigglets!

Good little hike not to bad it gets muddy in the beginning if it rained but I would just plan to do it if your going to go to the beach right afterwards!

Decent little hike with a mediocre view of North Shore. The graffiti art up at the pillbox was my favorite part which somewhat speaks to the lack of difficulty or reward on this one. Good for the family or bringing the dogs.

Nice short hike that even my teenagers enjoyed. Which is saying a lot.

Short hike. Good view. Wild pigs. Not too much mud. Steep enough to get my heart beating.

Cute little hike. Not strenuous at all despite being muddy and slippery as hell (definitely one of those hikes where it takes longer to get down than up). Pretty views of the North Shore from the top of the pillbox and I recommend exploring inside.

Fairly easy trail that didn’t take more than 2 hours, got lost a few times but easily found our way back to the trail.

Very quick/easy trail for an awesome view of north shore! Be ready for the incline!

I liked how much of the windward side of the island I saw from the peak. Rabbit island and Makapu’u to the south and the mountains to the north that border Kualoa ranch. I went when it was overcast and it was an enjoyable hike.

Great hike to see the sunset!

Great family hike! The pictures were very helpful in picking this hike. The views were great, the forest shade was nice, and the moderate beginning challenged everyone in a good way. My kiddos are 4, 6, 8, and 10 and didn't complain at all.

Good views. It is worth the short hike.

Esforço legal, vista muito bonita. Somente umas árvores que atrapalham um pouquinho. Vale a pena!

Steep, initially yes. The steps and ropes help in some places. The view from pill box 1 is beautiful. We tried to take the loop at the top, but couldn't find the turn from the road - it's confusing at the junction of 3 roads - so came back the same way. (Some blazes mark a side trail the used by mountain bikers.) It was pleasant nonetheless. Once back by the beginning of the road found the other end of the loop, but it's obscure. Use the map on this site to keep from going off trail. It began to rain as we began our downhill return. The mud, rocks and roots get slippery fast with very little moisture. A walking stick might have saved me from my fall. Not a flip-flop hike although there were plenty of people in them.

Trail is very pretty with some cool trees. There is a neat bunker at the top that you can walk in. The trail is not marked well and I ended up taking a different trail for a while.

Great short hike lot of up hill climbing.