Crouching Lion Trail

Crouching Lion Trail is a 0.4 mile out and back trail located near Kaaawa, Hawaii that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Law enforcement was standing there telling us that it was closed but after a couple hours of hours we drove back and there were a few people doing it

Awesome trail and wicked fun. Family enjoyed the trail and the sites.

This is a fun one! Straight up with awesome views.

Never leave a trace, hike out what you hike in. We ended our 5.5 mile ridge loop hike on this trail. We started at the Kahekili trail by the kaaawa fire station and hiked the ridge to the top of the Makaua waterfall. Once we got there, we continued on instead of turning around. The there are several false trails not too far beyond the top of the waterfall. It looks like you can go either right or left. The trail to the right goes on further for a hundred feet before it ends. The trail to the left doesn’t really go anywhere. The real trail goes straight up between them. We saw a pink marker on a tree that fell and was somewhat obscure. Wear long pants if you do this one because the brush can get mean for this portion of the hike. Eventually it will lead to a junction that connects to the crouching lion ridge trail which is precarious and beautiful. All in all, it took about 5 hours to hike and that was us taking our time.

very nice and easy hike gets a little bit steep towards the top but nothing too major bring a snack enjoy The View and take lots of pictures

Easy today, it was dry. Short and steep with ropes and branches to help along the way.

Today was nice, no rain, but the beginning is usually muddy. First ones up so was awesome.

Wet muddy steep amazing

enjoyable trail with great views! don't look down!

This hike was a little intimidating at first especially after some rain fall, but completely worth it!! The views are amazing at all peaks. We did the full loop starting at the right side “do not enter” sign and came down the left side sign. Make sure you come down the more northern side of the hike because there it was a little more safer. Cheers and keep it wavy

For the amount of effort required this hike is hard to beat. I'd love to get back and do the full ridge traverse when I have more time.

Beautiful short and steep hike with amazing views! The rain was a tad bit muddy, lightly rained the day before, which made climbing up/down a little more difficult! I would classify this trail as a scramble, with use of hands and provided ropes. Parking is just past the trailhead on the other side of the road (make sure no valuables are left in the car!)! The trailhead can be found by looking for the ‘Do not enter’ signs! The trail is marked sparingly with orange ribbons tied on trees.

Fairly short and quite steep. Great views for a quick hike. You can also follow another trail up the the ridgeline, which makes for even more beautiful views of the leeward side. Careful if it's raining or rain is on the forecast. We had a sunny day, but started to get poured on when at the top and coming down from the ridgeline was one of the more challenging things I've done while hiking.

Followed other hikers past "trail closed" signs. Trail was very muddy and extremely steep. We were only able to succeed by using roots, branches, and webbing/paracord attached to trees. Great views!

Everything you need to know about the crouching lion loop over Makaua Falls.

I found the right trail head and proceeded to climb a mud slide. Thought this must just be a hard climb. When I reached a plateau, I checked all trail and realized I took the wrong way up. The mud slide down was not going to be an option. So I continued to go forward and ended up crossing an amazing Ridge Trail to get over to crouching Lion. even climbed above coaching lion and took some great pics. If you just want To climb crouching lion, stay to the left if you want a good 2 mile challenge, Then go to the right and make sure it’s not raining and you have good trail shoes. This was my 4th hike in 4 days and was amazing

I dared the rain with this one because it’s been on my list for a while now—it was incredibly muddy and slippery, but the views were stunning at every point! I happen to really enjoy challenging climbs, too. It’s a straight uphill climb that’s very clearly marked from previous hikers. However, I would recommend this only for the experienced or brave because it becomes exponentially harder with any sort of rainfall. There are strong root systems, rocks, and two sets of rope to help with the climb. The descent turns into more of a controlled mudslide, though.
Park at the fish pond just past the trailhead. There will be two entrances, but go into the one with a concrete bench and memorial. Be prepared to come out extremely dirty! The oceanfront makes it easy to wash off.

Sweet hike. The initial approach has some scrambling and the views from atop are amazing. If you continue upwards, the trail eventually follows the ridgeline (which can definitely get a little bit scary). There are other trails in the same vicinity so will definitely come back to this one

Such a nice little hike. Been looking to do this one for a long while and finally did it today. It was a nice day out and the trail was completely dry. Our car was fine on main road parking area, just don’t leave any valuables or anything in plain sight, just like anywhere else on island. The trailhead is the opening with 2 signs and the cement bench. There is currently a memorial there as well. It was a really quick hike but we could see how it could be a harder mess if it was wet. We did a bunch of exploring up top and could have spend more time.

Very short and steep hike. Make sure to brings lots of water! Climbing up we had no breeze, until we made it to the top. The views are breathtaking.

Quick steep climb. My 60 year old pops made it up. Very slick. Great views.

More of a short climb than a hike. We started our climb very early and made it to the top for the sunrise. Amazing views all around. Definitely wear some good shoes or hikers. I wouldn’t recommend this trail if it’s raining.

Awesome early morning hike, breathtaking views!

dont do when it's wet!

Quick and intense! Spectacular and very rewarding views at the top of the Lion.

Def not on a trial a lot of incline hiking but totally worth the view! Wear hiking shoes with grip.

Go up the path where you see the 2nd signs and bench!

Accidentally went up the path of the 1st sign, and it was so scary! I was relying on roots to hold my weight and pull me up.

Take the bench path, easier route, I absolutely ADORED this hike! The view is breath taking!

VERY hard after even a little rain, very slick! views are some of the best on the island though.

Treacherous when wet! Be prepared to get muddy.

Wear good hiking shoes! Beautiful views!