Captain Cook's Monument Trail

Captain Cook's Monument Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Captain Cook, Hawaii. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Interesting experience. The first quarter of the trail was cleared and we remarked how amazing it was to have such a well-maintained trail. Then... the cane closed in on us and a tiny ribbon of trail was visible between the 10' tall cane. Thankfully we met a couple on the way back who told us there are 8 markers on this trail. That helped us know what to expect. We hiked in chacos which was fine. Take water and any nourishment you may require. We did pick our snorkel gear for the most incredible snorkeling on the island.

Moderate in terms of distance and elevation change. Beyond challenging if one is not acclimated to the tropics. Be careful to avoid heat exhaustion.

Great hike, with amazing snorkeling at the monument. Both moderate and strenuous but worth the sweat.

I had a free morning and I wanted a challenge, and I got that with this hike. I set a pretty brisk pace on the way down, only spent about 10 minutes at the bottom, and came right back up. Wear good shoes and bring plenty of water, and believe the people who tell you to stay off the trail between 10 and 2. It gets hot FAST. My knees were jelly by the end and I took several breaks on the way up, but I finished in 2 hours. Look out for the walking sticks at the trailhead and grab one!

Beautiful hike that goes down, down, down, then up, up, up. Comfortable if you exercise regularly, otherwise might be a struggle. Bring a bathing suit and snorkeling gear for some fun at the bottom of the hike!

Easy rocky path down, very hard, long, hot walk up the steep trail. Great snorkeling at the bottom. Bring extra water.

Short hike down, long hike back. When out of the tall grass and scrubby trees, big view of sea, water is lovely. otherwise uninteresting trail. At shore, Many tourists coming off boats anchored in bay, so crowded but it was spring break holiday (for some). Water lovely. Would do again.

The only thing that can be difficult about it is the heat. The snorkeling at the bottom is great. Lots of mongoose running around the trail. Views are awesome. The exposed lava field is the hottest part of the trail but we were lucky with a nice breeze from the sea. Wear good shoes. Make sure to stop at Oshima's market and grab some Hinano beer 22 ounce bottles. Our only mistake was not bringing enough.

Moderate my ass. Worth the hike though. Going in is easy, although rough and loose footing. 45-50 minutes will get you to the Monument. Going back up is another story. It took me twice as long climbing back up, I had to stop every 500 feet or so to catch my breath. Of course, being a 230 lb, 50 year young male might have a little bit to do with it. It kicked my but. Just a note, the next day I did another moderate rated trail, Green sand beach which is a couple miles longer round trip and that was a breeze. Next week I will do the 8 mile roundtrip hike to the lava flow again. Went 3 times last August.