Captain Cook's Monument Trail

Captain Cook's Monument Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Captain Cook, Hawaii. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Interesting experience. The first quarter of the trail was cleared and we remarked how amazing it was to have such a well-maintained trail. Then... the cane closed in on us and a tiny ribbon of trail was visible between the 10' tall cane. Thankfully we met a couple on the way back who told us there are 8 markers on this trail. That helped us know what to expect. We hiked in chacos which was fine. Take water and any nourishment you may require. We did pick our snorkel gear for the most incredible snorkeling on the island.

Moderate in terms of distance and elevation change. Beyond challenging if one is not acclimated to the tropics. Be careful to avoid heat exhaustion.

Great hike, with amazing snorkeling at the monument. Both moderate and strenuous but worth the sweat.

I had a free morning and I wanted a challenge, and I got that with this hike. I set a pretty brisk pace on the way down, only spent about 10 minutes at the bottom, and came right back up. Wear good shoes and bring plenty of water, and believe the people who tell you to stay off the trail between 10 and 2. It gets hot FAST. My knees were jelly by the end and I took several breaks on the way up, but I finished in 2 hours. Look out for the walking sticks at the trailhead and grab one!

Beautiful hike that goes down, down, down, then up, up, up. Comfortable if you exercise regularly, otherwise might be a struggle. Bring a bathing suit and snorkeling gear for some fun at the bottom of the hike!

Easy rocky path down, very hard, long, hot walk up the steep trail. Great snorkeling at the bottom. Bring extra water.