Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls

Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Waimea: Follow Highway 550 northward into Koke'e State Park. Turn right on to Halemanu Drive, which is a short distance past mile fourteen. Follow this road to the Halemanu-Koke'e Trailhead. (A four-wheel drive vehicle is necessary on this road if rain is in the forecast.)

Best hike! You need to be fit. Unstable ground in some places. Saw women get air lifted out with broken ankle. No joke. We hiked when trail was nice and dry.

Very nice hike down to pools and the top of the falls. I recommend driving down to the trailhead if you have 4 wheel drive. I met some nice gals for Germany and the Netherlands and we hiked together - fairly high traffic and you will slide if your shoes don’t have good traction or spikes. Enjoy!

Wonderful trail with something for everyone. We enjoyed the hike including the great scenic views and awesome reward at the end with the waterfall.

Definitely a must do if you are in Kaua’i! Good for all skill levels. Views are simply breathtaking !

Great moderate hike with a handful of slick areas and bits with loose sand. Just under four miles out and back, rewarded with great view of the canyon and a very chilly waterfall pool in which we took a quick swim with our 9- and 12-year old. Plenty of shade but water is a must - toughest stretch is the final third of a mile back to the parking lot.

This trail is amazing. It is worth the trip.
******please bring water and snacks*******
We completely forgot our water and snacks in the car. How do you just forget something like that you ask? Easy, we didn’t think we were going to go the distance. We met four angels on the way back who were gracious enough to give me an apple and a protein bar and two more who gave us water. If it had not been for those blessings I would not have made it out. If you ladies are reading this thank you and bless you. You were my blessing yesterday.
The trail is a long time down then a long time going up. It definitely works those thighs.

Petit trail sympa la cascade a l’arrivée est belle. Les vues y sont magnifiques.

A decent hike though you can bypass half of it with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The end of the hike is awesome and totally worth it. The waterfall is cool but the views along the slope just before are really grand. I strongly suggest bringing trekking poles since the incline going down the sandy smooth ridge hits 45 degrees and if there is even a little bit of rain I can see sliding all the way down...

AWESOME VIEWS! One of our best hikes ever. You get a good view of the canyon and then hike to a waterfall.

If you have 4WD, you can actually drive your car a good distance and cut the walking distance almost in half. If not you can park at the highway and walk the whole way.

Bring lots of water!!! Luckily the trail is mostly shaded but it still was pretty hot, especially since the way back is basically all uphill. I would give yourself a couple hours to do this trail, depending on how long you want to stay at the waterfall and how well you traverse a steep incline.

Again, we loved it! The views were breathtaking. Definitely recommend.

Great trail. Probably not the absolute best view of the canyon, but still has some great sites. Waterfall was worth the trip. We hiked this after hiking a ridge trail in koke'e park and it was very manageable. It does get a bit dicey in some parts so I would suggest good shoes. We wore trail runners and were fine, but there was some loose gravel/dirt close to some steep drop offs. There was a fair amount of people and you will most likely greet a few groups of people along the way. Overall it was a solid trail and I would agree with the moderate rating.

Great hike! Only 0.8 miles to waterfall from actual trailhead. 1.6 from the main road. Drive all the way down to trailhead from main road if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Stunning views of Waimea Canyon. The waterfall and pond was refreshing and picturesque. I would have to say this trail is heavily trafficked as opposed to lightly from what the app suggests. Have a great hike!

This trail was beautiful however parts were very slippery especially near the falls themselves. Watched a woman get airlifted out after falling and breaking her ankle. To be fair it did rain the night before so part of the trail were wet however the section where the lady fell was covered with red silt that was VERY slippery to walk down. Honestly I wouldn’t recommend it for kids just because that section was slippery and there are no barriers whatsoever. Everyone is accurate that it is beautiful and definitely worth trying it but just be mindful to tread carefully to avoid any accidents.

Very easy trail, my 7 year old really liked it!! You can wear hiking sandals or shoes, I wore shoes. Perfect distance for kids, not too steep of a climb!

Very nice hike, we took our, 6,9 and 12 year old granddaughters along with us and they didn't complain one bit. Their is definitely a couple of step sections and the actual area were to see the falls is a really small area, not more than 4 or 5 people, and be aware there are no railings, so be very cautious of your surrounds. Took us just a little over 2.5 hrs to complete. Take plenty of water and don't wear your favorite hiking shoes, they may get ruined if there is a lot of mud.

You really see the parts of the canyon you cant from the overlook. It takes you to the top of the falls seen from the Waimea Canyon Overlook. A couple cliffs here and there, but not bad enough someone afraid of heights couldn't make. Absolutely beautiful sights of the canyon from a unique side for a short hike.

Great, easy trail with the family. Although you can't see the waterfalls in all their splendor at the top, the views of the valley from the falls are amazing. Additionally, think about taking a swimsuit to swim in the small swimming hole and feeder waterfall that is just off the main trail to the top of the falls. It is a beautiful little spot and an pretty easy way in/out.

It took us 2 hours round trip from the main road. It was a nice stroll to the top of the waterfall. We didn’t have issues with mosquitoes.

This trail was pretty family friendly! Footing is definitely good enough to baby wear. The end at the falls has some fun boulders to scramble, and the falls view is from the top/start of the fall. We did drive the 4x4 path in a Jeep, which cut the hike distance in half, and was a fun and convenient alternative considering we had just completed the Kalepa Ridge Hike, and the sunset was upon us! There are definitely some loose footing /crumbling dirt slide places but you are able to get far enough away from the cliffs edge to feel comfortable taking a tumble or sliding on your booty!

Went on this hike yesterday afternoon with my family. Highly recommend! If you have a four-wheel drive vehicle you can drive through some of the forested part to the hiking trail, otherwise plenty of people (like us) park just off the main road and hike the whole way. This hike features beautiful forest vegetation, some open summit views of the canyon area, and a gorgeous waterfall at the end. We went in dry conditions, I would not recommend doing this hike in wet/recent rain conditions as there are several areas of loose gravel and slopes that can become quite slick.

Enjoyed this hike!

Cannot get enough of Waimea Canyon

Loved this hike. Had lots of ups and down on the trail so it felt even paced! We went on a gorgeous sunny day and could see the whole canyon. We are not the most experienced hikers and didn’t have a problem on this trail.

One of my favorite hikes. Did it + Black Pipe with a 6 month old.

Beautiful views of the canyon! and not too difficult. We took breaks on the big rocks and went all the way to the falls which were just okay in my opinion. I didn't enjoy seeing folks getting so close to the top of the falls- very scary. The hike was worth it in my opinion just for a different and better view of the canyon than the lookout.

rough downhill 4x4 road leading from 550 down to main trail. using a jeep made it enjoyable but if traversing by foot, could be a tough chore coming back up at the end. views of canyon were incredible and worth it.

Did this hike with my adult daughter. the day we went was not too muddy. Also did this hike a year and half ago - had an easier time of it this trip. Saw the people on the ridge from the lookout above and just had to do the hike.

Great hike.

Wife and I hiked starting from the main road as our rental car would probably not have made it down the two track in one piece. Probably want a Jeep or pickup truck for that. Hiking was mostly through dense forests until the end where you get spectacular views of the canyon! Overall pretty easy hike but the clay on the trail was slick in some areas

Did the hike today. Moderate Trail. Can be slippery and muddy. View into the canyon is great, standing on top of the waterfalls also. Trail is very highly trafficked. We started at the lookout. Trail was disappointing compared to other trails on the island.

Very nice hike. Did this with two kids and the in-laws. The canyon view was amazing! The falls were just ok, but we’re from Washington where waterfalls are amazing. We all had a great time though. The day was dry so the trail was fine. On a rainy day I could see how this could be a slippery hike.