Awa'awapuhi Trail

Awa'awapuhi Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round.

This was a great hike, easy in , a bit more strenuous on the way out because it was more up hill. We went early to beat the heat.

A little muddy but not bad! Worth the beautiful view!

We did this hike in about 2.5 hours. It is 3.25 miles to the lookout. The hike to the lookout is mostly down hill, so remember to save plenty of water for the hike back.

Incredible views!!!

This trial is well maintained and has a very rewarding view at the end. It is not a technical trail but the return is a steady grueling climb. I highly recommend starting this trail early before the heat of the day so you can get as much shade on the return at possible. Pack plenty of water. There are no services at the trailhead so plan ahead. The camp store is a great stop for coffee and sandwiches. Don’t expect to find seclusion, this trail has high traffic.

Start the hike early to beat the crowds and heat. It wasn’t muddy during my hike but I can only imagine how difficult the hike would be with muddy conditions. Be sure to journey past the railing at the end to get the better views.

Super fun hike. Bring lots of water and get ready to face your fear of heights at the end for a walk out the last few hundred feet. Loved it and would do it again!

This hike had an okay view at the end, but to be honest, the canyon views driving up to the hike we're more impressive. The hike is pretty boring for 90% of it as you are walking through forest with no views. The benefit is that you are in the shade for the majority of the hike. The hike is kinda backwards as you travel downhill to get to the view at the end, but then uphill to get back to the trailhead. Given other hikes available in Kauai, I would choose this hike as a second or third option.

Left the south shore @6am. We reached Awaʻawapuhi Trail @ 8:30AM. Going towards the vista it’s all down hill w/ flats here and there. About 75% or more of the trail is shaded. I honestly don’t care about having a view through majority of the trek because it would’ve been super hot. The trail was very muddy. Some parts of the trail your walking along a one person path that’s super muddy, but we made it to the gorgeous view. My partner and I are novice hikers and this hike seemed more difficult for people like us. I dreaded the climb back but we made it out! It was very rewarding.

Easy to navigate with some good climbs. The most amazing views of the coast. Perfect spot for lunch at the overlook.

Mostly downhill as you hike to the viewpoint, then mostly uphill on the way back. Not much to see while you are hiking, but completely breathtaking view when you get to the vista. Took about 3 hrs with many small breaks. So worth it!!

The trail was surprisingly not muddy like others in Kauai and was easy going until you hit the end where the view is breathtaking. Do wait until the clouds disperse so you can see the lush sea cliffs and clear blue sea. You will get some helicopters flying over that can get a bit annoying. I walked down to the furthest tip, where you do have to be cautious, and use your hands to help as it's very narrow and with a drop, but totally do-able. The return journey is a steady ascent. Took around 3 hours to complete.

Amazing view at the end! All downhill to get there so you actually have to do your work out after the reward ;)

My girlfriend and I are in our early 50s. 1.5 hours in and about the same out. Totally worth it once you get to the end.

Vue exceptionnelle à l’arrivée cela vaut le détour!!! La descente à l’aller est très facile, le retour en montée l’est beaucoup moins... très cardio ! Prenez beaucoup d’eau pour le retour ou allez y tôt pour ne pas être étouffé par la chaleur. Attention si vous y aller les jours de pluie le chemin risque d’être boueux et glissant

Decent view at the end but the walk down has no views. Do yourself a favour and walk Nu’alolo Trail instead.

Incredible views at the end of the trail. You must visit this trail if you enjoy the Napali coastline and all that it has to offer.

Great hike! Challenging with the elevation drops and gains however worth the reward at the end!

This hike was exactly as advertised. Downhill on the way out through jungle-type setting that eventually opens up and finishes with jaw-dropping views. Wouldn't have minded some additional views along the way, but the end result will make you forget any complaints.

Mostly downhill on the way there, so a tougher uphill trek back up. Muddy in the beginning. Took us (mid-20’s, females) 1.5 hrs on the way there and 1 hr on the way back. VIEWS ARE SO WORTH IT THOUGH!! Make sure you go all the way to the end of the trail to the rocky look out.

Earned the views

Great view at the end that you will work for!!

Absolutely awesome! Fantastic views. Easy hike in and moderate incline coming out (the entire way). Go the extra 30 yards across the narrow rock path at the end. Well worth it.

La randonnée est plutôt facile, les paysages à fin sont magnifiques. Attention aux moustiques

epic view at the end

Amazing view at the end! Like others are saying, not a ton to see for the 3 miles out and back, however, I’d say it’s worth it ! It was very foggy and muddy and drizzling . Took us about 2 hours to get there because we were going slow as to not slip and fall . Way back took us basically half of that because we trekked up pretty quickly (was a good workout!) hiking poles are basically necessary because it was so slick !

This hike had the best view of almost any hike I have done. It is my favorite and the one I recommend to most People.the hike itself is nothing special. The view at the end is just ridiculously amazing!

Great hike!! Second time ....first time rain and solid mud, today beautiful hike little mud and gorgeous view at the end!!

One of my all time favorites. Did this as part of the loop with a few other trails. A little sketchy in places, so be careful.

An amazing hike overall. The trip in is all downhill and pretty easy. We got there at 7:30 am and were the first in the lot. We went on a sunny day so had no mud. You can find walking sticks at the trailhead which are definitely helpful on the hike back. It’s about 3.1 Miles in. The hike in is great because you see so many “climates” (rain forest with a high canopy, grassland, desert rocks, and of course chickens). The views at the end are probably some of the most spectacular I’ve ever seen. We walked out past the gate to the end where the drops are a thousand feet on either side. SO STUNNING! The hike back was long as it is all uphill fortunately we got there early and were done prior to it getting too hot. Make sure to bring enough water for the trip back because it is why this hike is marked as moderate.

I chose this trail because I had time for only one hike and I read at some places that if I had time for just one, this is THE one. I honestly was a tad disappointed. But then again that may be because of factors (Like past experiences and expectations) personal to me - One - I did not like the fact that the entire hike back and forth was through a thick canopy of forest without any views at all - I might as well have been hiking in North Carolina (my home state). The view at the end was indeed spectacular but too less for so much of walking - Additionally it did not match up to the views we had the day before from the sea side (we had taken a boat to the coast).

So if you are happy with hiking 6 miles for just one view (which could depend on visibility based on weather), this might be the one for you.