Awa'awapuhi Trail

Awa'awapuhi Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Still a lil muddy around 11:30, but the roots give good areas for traction. Dried up on the way back around 2:00. The view at the end is the best I’ve seen. Words and pictures can’t do it justice. If you only have time for one hike this is the one.

a recent shower made the first half (downhill) portion a little treacherous for footing but proper hiking shoes made it bearable. we braved the narrow trail after the gate but this is not necessary to get the amazing view of the coast and sheer vertical drop. this trail may have ruined many a future hike ie views simply don’t get better than this

No view until the very end. BUT WORTH IT!!!! So happy we trekked the 6.25 miles for this view. Completely incredible. Very steep, must be in decent shape with proper footwear and poles.

Went yesterday and the trail was dry for the most part, some muddy sections but not bad. We were the first ones there.. got there at 645am and finished at 930am out and back. The amazing views of the Na Pali is so rewarding at the end!

Those cliffs! The view ! The most glorious hike ever ! Definitely a must do !

My husband and I just finished hiking the trail. It was muddy at some spots on the way down and I slipped pretty good. The viewpoint at the end was all cloudy, so we couldn’t see down very far (might have been a good thing because it is very narrow at the end). The way back felt like it was all uphill and it was tiring. Grab a walking stick from the trailhead for extra balance. Overall, it was worth it but we are worn out

Hiked it. Started out looking like the perfect day. Got to view point. Fogged in and dripping. Waited 50 minutes and headed back. Oh well. Can't win them all. Great exercise.

Amazing. The weather has been crummy all week but yesterday it didn’t rain, so we decided to pull the trigger and attempt Awa’awapuhi this morning. Left Kapaa early, got to the trailhead around 6:15am and were the first ones there. The path was well defined, including mile markers, and the mud was tacky and I managed to stay upright all day even in my Tevas. Be aware that the hike down to the vista pounds on the knees after awhile. We got down to the vista right around 8am, going at a slow/moderate pace to avoid slips. We were the only ones down there when we got there, and continued on past the guard rail to the end of trail. Definitely take caution, the path is no joke. We loaded up on some pretzels and almond butter and enjoyed the view for about 25-30 minutes on our own. Absolutely spectacular, it was by far the best view we saw on the island. On the way back up we probably saw 45-50 people so it is 100% worth it to wake up and get moving early early. Enjoy and be safe!

The pay off in the end is beyond worth it! We just trekked it last week. It took about 1 hour and 30 minutes at a moderate pace took about 30 minutes at view point and a little longer on way back 1 hour and 40 minutes. I don’t get to hike as much as I like so it was a little challenging. I would rate moderate to hard. There is a good amount of elevation change. You go down in the beginning so be prepared for the going up. Make sure to bring a good amount of water the right hiking shoe and definitely trekking polls are key. It’s a spectacular view that you won’t regret!!

Muddy as expected great views with clear skies. Fiancé and I hiked with tennis shoes 1:45 out 1:30 return have a change of shoes or bags for muddy shoes and clothing. Got on the trailhead at 8am on a Monday little to no other hikers. Passed multiple people on return. Weather forecast is tricky cloud coverage can vastly change from the local Waimea Canyon forecast. Most difficult aspect is the mud and slipping factor. Multiple vistas at end of trial depending on bravery/risk tasking. Overall definitely worth it.

This trail is awesome I did it with my parents and it is worth the view ! I highly recomand !

Awesome hike, beautiful trail, no mud, nice grade, 4 hour, out and back. Incredible views of the canyon. Great hike.

scenic driving

Hike was decent but the views at the end were amazing!!!

Did this trail 2 years ago. Well worth. View at the end is amazing. Strenuous to walk up again. One should wear hiking boots and poles for sure. We also experienced the trail muddy and slippery. I would recommend it only to good hikers. Compared to the canyon trail which is also rated moderate, this trail is really moderate to hard.

Pretty good hike but the view at the end was money!!!!

One of the best views of Na Pali coast. Trail is decent. Even heard the wild goats in the valley

Absolutely wonderful views at the end.

A pleasant forest hike for 95% of the time, ending at truly one of the best views you'll ever see. Don't do this if you don't think you have the time to make it to the end - the hike is nice but the view is what makes it. There are a few nice vistas along the way but they don't even compare to the end. Only moderately muddy when we did it, took about 3 hours at a brisk pace including 20 minutes at the overlook.

As others have said, this trail is extremely muddy, and given the weather I can’t imagine it ever fully dries out. I highly recommend trekking poles and boots, as I would have most certainly fallen multiple times without them. The couple we hiked with didn’t have poles, but people had left their walking sticks by the sign at the trailhead for others to use.

The trail is under canopy for the first 2/3 or so before it opens up to the cliffs—the shade was a welcome respite from the sun, especially on the way back up.

The hike in required sure-footing and the trek out was pretty strenuous, but the view at the end is absolutely worth it. I recommend getting an early start (we were on the trail by 8 AM) as the trail got crowded by the time we hiked out and the clouds started rolling in, obstructing the view.

Today this trail was very muddy, which made it slippery in places. Found hiking poles and good boots invaluable. We actually found it more difficult downwards, because of the mud. The return hike back up was of course more strenuous, but we were up faster than it took us to get down.

The views at the end are breathtaking and would be worth robbing through the mud (but it isn't *that* bad...)

Total round trip time, including 20 minutes of panoramic views and venturing out to the more exposed view locations at the end of the trail was about 3:20

Reached the end of the hike after about 1.5hrs of sliding through the mud. There were some fun spots along the trail but mostly downhill the whole way there. The view at the end is absolutely incredible. The fog rolled in and out of the valley between the trail and the ocean which made for some great pictures. There's a better view by climbing across a narrow pass of rocks with large cliffs on either side. I'd only recommend this to those with high experience and balance. The hike back was a bit more advanced but overall an easy trail and absolutely recommend!

Muddy the first mile. Incredible views at the end. Wait a few minutes if it’s cloudy.

Absolutely incredible trail. It rained before we got to the trail which made for a very muddy adventure, but it was only a concern on the way out while going downhill. One of the most jaw dropping views I’ve seen and well worth the muddy trek. Car to car in about 3 hours including about 30 minutes spent eating lunch at the end of the trail on the ridge. Do this hike, you will not regret it even if you fall down and get a little muddy (:

Awesome

We did this about two years ago and loved it. Our 10 and 12 year old sons did it with us, so it’s not too hard. Definitely recommend it.

Simply incredible view at the end!

Completed this today. Was amazing. Trail was much easier on the way in as it is mostly downhill. Coming back is basically all uphill but the end makes it all worth it. Could not recommend his enough. Just bring enough water and watch yourself on slippery roots. We started the hike at about 8am and we’re back at the car by 11:30. We saw a total of 18 people on the trail.

Incredible! If you are a EXPERIENCED hiker go down the little ridge at the end and climb to the peak in the middle of the valleys. Insane

As others have said, this is a mucky trail, mostly forested, but the view at the end is gorgeous.

Trail isn’t too bad, didn’t feel very steep and it’s well maintained, but I’d probably skip this one if it’s rainy or socked in. I did this as part of the Nualolo/Awaawapuhi loop. Pretty sure it was around 11 miles for the loop. Not much to see along the way but I guarantee it ends at one of the most amazing places you’ll ever stand. You can go out on the ridge past the lookout point but be careful... one misstep and you’ll fall 2000ft. It’s so narrow in one spot you can straddle the ridge. Pictures do no justice. The view from the ridge creates a weird feeling like everything is warping up around you.