Awaawaloa via Wa'ahila Ridge Trail

Awaawaloa via Wa'ahila Ridge Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Starting from Waahila State Park, it takes about an hour to reach the Kolowalu junction to the left and the ridge to the top on the right. For the most part the trail is very well graded even past the unmaintained section. Mostly a ridge hike. Can be windy most of the time. Heavily eroded sections but they do not pose extreme danger. Some rock scrambling but very doable. To get to this hike drive to the top of St.Louis Heights and park in the Wa'ahila state park at the top. Park hours are 7am-745pm. The hike starts off pretty simple on a wide path the just keeps going up. You soon get to a junction where you go left and from then on the hike starts going up and down over the ridges. There are some rocky sections that involve small amounts of climbing up and down but other then that the hike is pretty easy. Once toward the top you get great views of Manoa Valley and Palolo Valley. At the end of the trail you meet the kolowalu trail which is a steeper hike that will take you down into the back of Manoa Valley. There is also a trail past the end of trail sign. This goes to the top of Mt.Olympus and should not be attempted by novice hikers. Hike this section at your own risk as you are not suppose to go past the end of trail sign but people do anyways. If you do choose to go past it be aware the trail gets a lot skinnier and has numerous rope sections that you will have to climb to reach the summit.

I really enjoyed this hike and would rate it moderate to hard. When we started it had been raining heavy further up so we knew the track was going to get worse. The rope climbs in mud was difficult and the last section was extremely slippery. At the summit the clouds lifted and we were left with stunning views, it was beautiful. Great hike but wear your hiking shoes for grip if raining, I wish Id taken gloves up for the last rope section.

You will need a change of clothes!

This trail is lovely, and the hike not too difficult but can get quite muddy. There are a lot of different kinds of trees and terrain. Once you complete the maintained trail there's roughly another half to complete to the summit. Simply continue past the sign that tells you...not to continue.

I would have liked to reach the summit but I was alone and became concerned by the wind and rain. Parts of the trail were bordering on becoming a mudslide, and there were vertical drops on either side. After I turned back, about 4/5 of the total way, I realized two more gentlemen had been ahead of me. So in all likelihood I would have been fine.

If it's a wet day the mud is no joke. Bring a change of clothes and shoes. When I was there neither the bathroom nor the "wash your shoes here" station at the base were in service.

It was a great work out! I am the unfit friend out of the the two of that went and I was still able to finish this hike. I don't recommend bringing children on this trail as it is very steep and close to the end you have to pull yourself up with a rope. The view was amazing at the turnaround for the trail! Had a great time even though it felt like death

Challenging in the rain but worth it! We didn't attempt Mt Olympus this time because of conditions but hope to next time we visit.

awesome trail