Awaawaloa via Wa'ahila Ridge Trail

Awaawaloa via Wa'ahila Ridge Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Starting from Waahila State Park, it takes about an hour to reach the Kolowalu junction to the left and the ridge to the top on the right. For the most part the trail is very well graded even past the unmaintained section. Mostly a ridge hike. Can be windy most of the time. Heavily eroded sections but they do not pose extreme danger. Some rock scrambling but very doable. To get to this hike drive to the top of St.Louis Heights and park in the Wa'ahila state park at the top. Park hours are 7am-745pm. The hike starts off pretty simple on a wide path the just keeps going up. You soon get to a junction where you go left and from then on the hike starts going up and down over the ridges. There are some rocky sections that involve small amounts of climbing up and down but other then that the hike is pretty easy. Once toward the top you get great views of Manoa Valley and Palolo Valley. At the end of the trail you meet the kolowalu trail which is a steeper hike that will take you down into the back of Manoa Valley. There is also a trail past the end of trail sign. This goes to the top of Mt.Olympus and should not be attempted by novice hikers. Hike this section at your own risk as you are not suppose to go past the end of trail sign but people do anyways. If you do choose to go past it be aware the trail gets a lot skinnier and has numerous rope sections that you will have to climb to reach the summit.

Definitely one of the most beautiful hikes on Oahu and is one of my favorites. Also a good place for birding and is where I saw my first native Hawaiian forest bird, the female amakihi. I posted up a photo I took of it and is a beautiful small green bird. A must do!

Great views but be prepared from rain.

Great hike with some rope sections versus the end. The start is very easy and till the end it's getting more demanding. The weather was not that good and due to the rain in the night and previous days before it was yery muddy. If you have the possibility to wait for some days without rain it's much easier. However, it was no problem for me anyway. All in all a solid nice walk.

Goodness this was a fantastic hike! I have been hiking here 1-2 different hikes a week for almost a year and this is a top 5. We parked at the park just like directions said to and we followed Wa'ahila to where it ended and just continued up to the right until the top of Mt Olympus. The clouds broke for us once we got up top so we had the joy of seeing all the amazing views. It took us almost 4 hours total but we are very fit and we trail ran the whole way down once we got past the ridge so that made it quick. Our breaks all combined were probably 30 or so minutes. We took a breather at each flat open area and had about a half of a PB&J up top while we waited for the clouds to break. Pretty easy hike to follow, there are a few forks but they all link back up. Just make sure that at the end of Wa'ahila at the "end trail" sign that you stay to the RIGHT past the sign to head up to Mt Olympus. My micro spikes made my climb easy but my friend had normal shoes on and she made it up fine too. It was a nice dry day up top so that helped.

nice mellow hike