Aihualama and Pauoa Flats Loop Trail

Aihualama and Pauoa Flats Loop Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Directions from Honolulu: There are two ways to get there: 1. Via the Manoa Cliff Trail: From Round Top Drive, hike in on Manoa Cliff Trail to the Pauoa Flats junction (there is a system trail map here). Proceed on Pauoa Flats Trail past the Nuuanu Trailhead (which is on the left). The next trail (on the right) is Aihualama. 2. Via Manoa Falls Trail: Follow Manoa Road into the back of Manoa Valley. Manoa Road ends at Paradise Park. Continue up the road, through the parking lot, towards the entrance of Lyon Arboretum. At the sharp left bend in the road to Lyon, proceed straight ahead. This is the Manoa Falls parking area and trailhead. Hike 0.8 miles on Manoa Falls Trail. Approximately 150 feet from the base of the Falls, there is a marked trail that proceeds left. This is Aihualama Trail.

Easy trail with many switchbacks as you gain elevation slowly from the back of Manoa valley to Pauoa Flats.From the end of Aihualama Trail, bear right on Pauoa Flats Trail to get to a nice lookout point with a bench. It was rainy today and I didnt get to use my dslr much.

Awesome trail!

Was hoping for better views.

Great hike, did it with my 4yr old. She walked it on her own

Super muddy, be ready. Take bug spray or bust. Great hike, grab a bamboo to help navigate. When you think you are almost there go a little more then when you hit the trail head opposite of the falls bare right to the summit.

My boyfriend and I connected to this trail from the Manoa Falls Trail and continued on to the Pauoa Flats Loop to the lookout point. The trail was pleasantly empty after the crowds we experienced at the falls. Make sure you wear appropriate footwear with good tread. The trail is muddy in some places and a tangle of roots in others. I would suggest caution if it has recently rained. We enjoyed the sections of bamboo forest, and old pieces of bamboo were easily repurposed into walking sticks. The views from the lookout made the muddy, uphill trek totally worthwhile.

Fun hike. Real shaded and awesome view when you get to the top

Great hike

Boring no real awesome scenic points. Steady incline good work out only.

this hike is very basic and almost therapeutic the way you just continue on through all the bamboo. definitely nice to get away from monoa falls cluster of hikers. I jogged some of the way because it was just flat and I knew I wanted to get up to where the trails converge and I take the trail going up to oversee the pali highway. my question is...can you get down from there to the pali highway parking to go into the water Reservoir? I tried one time to hike from the reservoir side to the monoa falls side and got lost half way up the mountain to my dismay. I know there is a small secret trail that goes up to the ridge and you have to use ropes to scale the trail going up. I had my dog with me when I stumbled upon this small trail and it was too difficult for her to stay with me as I used the ropes going up. well non the less the hike is fun and going down took me like only 1 hr. at most.

really nice senery through a bamboo forest but beware, dont even try to keep your shoes relatively clean. youre better off accepting defeat and just stepping in the mud. fallen bamboo along the way makes great walking sticks for support and poking through the muddy parts. total hike from the parking l including manoa falls portion is 8 miles round trip. it was alot longer than i was expecting but the view at the top was worth it.