Aihualama and Nu'uanu Loop Trail

Aihualama and Nu'uanu Loop Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Directions from Honolulu: There are two ways to get there: 1. Via the Manoa Cliff Trail: From Round Top Drive, hike in on Manoa Cliff Trail to the Pauoa Flats junction (there is a system trail map here). Proceed on Pauoa Flats Trail past the Nuuanu Trailhead (which is on the left). The next trail (on the right) is Aihualama. 2. Via Manoa Falls Trail: Follow Manoa Road into the back of Manoa Valley. Manoa Road ends at Paradise Park. Continue up the road, through the parking lot, towards the entrance of Lyon Arboretum. At the sharp left bend in the road to Lyon, proceed straight ahead. This is the Manoa Falls parking area and trailhead. Hike 0.8 miles on Manoa Falls Trail. Approximately 150 feet from the base of the Falls, there is a marked trail that proceeds left. This is Aihualama Trail.

We took this trail from the Manoa Falls side. I liked the idea of parking there. Seems more secure. i've done the trail back to the falls at least a dozen times. Its very pretty. If you've never been here you should do this section. Its a must. Once we branched off to the Aihualama the traffic dropped off. We saw probable about a dozen people from that point one. The trail is easy to follow for the most part. There was one branch about 1/4 of the way in. I opened the all trails app just to make sure I was on the right branch. We went left. Generally speaking the trail with the most traffic will be the right one. The Aihualama dead ends into the loop. I think it is also known as the Pauoa Flatt's trail. We went left up to the look out. Great spot for pictures. We didn't close the loop instead went back down the way we came. We didnt budget enough time. Happy hour was calling.

Awesome view at the top! Worth the hike!

So awesome

Very muddy but it is the rain forest. Once you get to the end of Aihualama make a right at Pauoa Flats to see an epic view, you can continue on just make sure you have enough water.

Randomly found this trail after seeing the water fall. 2 friends of mine and I started randomly, saw our Snapchat filter at 1000ft and decided to keep going. Well worth the view. Bring a bottle of water and a granola bar and you should be fine.

trail is pretty nice but to really make it an epic experience make sure you go all the way along the ridge line loop. 7 miles for us, took us 3 hours as moderately experienced hikers

I hiked in along the Manoa Cliffs trail. There's a bamboo forest, wildflowers and nice views at several places out over the Manoa Valley. There's a fenced section at the top to keep feral pigs and inside the undergrowth is three times as dense. Inside is a juction where you keep right to stay on Manoa Cliffs trail. Then I turned right at the Pauoa Flats junction, then left at Nuuanu Trail to take the loop clockwise. This takes you first through a rooty Banyan forest and then a stand of very tall Cook pine. I found myself on a ridge trail heading toward downtown, and realized I'd missed the sharp right turn onto the top section of the loop. It looks innocent and fairly level on the countour map, but it's really a knife edge at the top of the ridge over the Pali highway and reservoir. The views from up there are fantastic! But there is a rope ascent (not too difficult) and a longer rope descent that was completely exposed over a 1000 foot drop. And very windy of course. After I got my heart rate back under control I continued down the ridge to the lookout which is where most hikers seem to stop when coming from the other direction. It looks like there's a faint trail continuing on from the lookout toward Lulumahu Falls. I turned right and closed the loop back on the Pauoa Flats trail.

Beautiful tropical jungle.