Aiea Loop Trail

Aiea Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aiea, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Follow H-1 to Moanalua Highway (Route 78). Take the Aiea cutoff to the third traffic light, make a right turn at Aiea Heights Drive and follow it about 3 miles up to the end of the road. Continue on the on-way park road to the trailhead.

Very pretty trail that offers a bit of everything. Most of it is open woods that provide a good amount of shade and you also get some very dense rainforest towards the end; very muddy for the last mile or so. There are quite a few slick areas, so boots are highly recommended but you should be ok in trail running shoes. There is also a portion at the end where you must cross a small creek and there is no bridge, so wouldn’t recommend if the island has just had heavy rainfall. All in all, great trail with wonderful views!

It's very pretty but for the most part it's a stroll through the woods. Most views are pretty industrialized. The strong smell of the Eucalyptus trees was wonderful though.

Trail for the most part is very well groomed; there were a few slightly muddy spots, one washed out part that was easily crossed and a couple blown down trees that were easy to walk under. Finished in about 1:30 walking at a good pace stopping briefly to take in the views.

From the top parking lot to the end of the loop was 4.66 miles. It took us an hour and 51 minutes. It was sprinkling most of the trail. Muddy, but manageable. Some slippery spots. Just use caution and common sense. There was a freshly fallen tree down and across the trail about 3 miles in. Looked dangerous, but we had to get by it. Passed thru with no issues. Use caution. At around 4 miles (+/-), there is a small creek to pass thru. You have to walk thru the water. It was flowing heavily the day we went due to the rain, but we passed with ease. The trail is fairly easy and there are no steep inclines until you get towards the end. Even then, it’s still doable and fairly easy. It does have some narrow sections that are steep on one or both sides at times. Nothing too terrible. I do suggest checking the weather and going on a sunny day to avoid the mud and rain. The majority of the trail is shaded with a few openings here and there. When you first enter the trail, you can almost immediately smell the lemon eucalyptus in the air. We didn’t see any wildlife, but I have read that others have seen wild hogs. Very nice trail all in all. We will go back when the weather is nicer. We ran some and walked some. I think this trail would be great to run the entire thing when it’s dry. If you park at the very top, plan on walking up the concrete incline to get back to your car. The loop ends at the picnic tables just before you get to the last parking lot. Happy Hiking!

Took me under 2 hours to complete, trail is easy with some moderate spots. would recommend to anyone. park closes at 6:45pm

This was the first trail we took our dogs on and it went really well. Definitely be aware that there are hogs in this area if you are bringing dogs. The path is nicely traveled but not to busy. We arrived around 9am and completed around 11:30am. There are a few sections that are close to the edge and it was a tad slippery but other than that great hike.

For someone as out of shape as I am this hike wasn’t that difficult. It can be really steep in some spots but it levels out, the views? Incredible. You have a view of the H3 and it makes the hike well worth it, some reviews say the hike is close to 6 miles well that is inaccurate. It is in fact close to the 4.2 miles like the sign says. The trail is trafficked and everyone we passed was friendly and uplifting- we saw several kids doing it too so if they can do it- you can too!!

Great 2-hour hike! Went on a Wednesday at around 1400 and saw only about a dozen or so other hikers/runners. Mostly dry, minimal mud, lots of shade and tree cover. Definitely coming back to do it again before I fly home!

Nice, well maintained trail but very muddy towards the end. Recommend clocking your milage because you can walk for over a mile and not see anyone. Also, recommend not starting later than 4 pm as there are places the trail gets very dark due to the wooded areas

This was a challenging hike for me, but in a great way. It was my first “long” hike. It is more than four miles though for sure. My fitness watch registered 6.8.
The trail is very clear, and at some places narrow and steep, and if it has been raining the mud is something fierce. The views at certain spots are phenomenal. Bring lots of water and maybe a snack because like I said, it’s a long one. It took my inexperienced self around three and a half hours total. As others have mentioned PARK NEAR THE CAMPGROUNDS PARKING LOT. The incline from the exit of the trail up to the higher parking area is STEEP and not great after a 6-7 mile trek.

This trail is a very nice loop trail. It is, overall a good beginner trail. I definately recommend parking in the lower parking lot near the campgrounds, especially if you bring small kids. The loop ends there. If you park at the trailhead, you will have to walk up a steep section of road after you come off the trail to get back to your vehicle. the scenery is awesome. The tree canopy provides shade through almost the entire trail. Check the weather before you go, as the trail gets pretty muddy after a rain. This creates a more treacherous walk in certain areas. Overall, We loved this trail and will surely do it again.

1/12/2019-Started hiking around 0815 and came across 17 groups/solo hikers. Lots of people were out and about so a good portion of the parking stalls were filled. Weather was overcast but the ground was relatively dry and there was a nice breeze going through. The view of H3 was nice as always!

This Trail is very much a lie. We parked at the top parking lot (I recommend parking at the bottom one, trust me you will see why at the end of my review) and it was an amazing trail! It was well maintained and I went with a friend that talked to me about local legends about Ohia Lehua and then menehune and then we found out about the plane that crashed and we were pretty determined to find it. About 3/4th of the way we hit the mud. At first it was just a little bit and wasn't too bad...and then it became sludge. the suction mud. and then we hit a creek that had SO MUCH MUD!!! but we made it across thanks to a rope that was up to help cross. we made it to the road and then we realized it was STRAIGHT UPHILL climb to the parking lot (hence my, park at the lower lot). This 4.2 mile is a lie, I put my watch on and we were at closer to 6.4 and that's with not going up the last hill cause it was too much of an incline. While I waited for my friend to come and pick me up in the car cause I could not make it, I was speaking with a local and they stated that rained the night before....go figure. so before going check the weather and be prepared to bring an extra pair of clothes if it did just rain. However, after all of that, I would go again in a heartbeat. Loved the shade and loved the legends from the area.

Long and the last mile (maybe less) was down in the valley and muddy! Will do this again, but will turn around and skip the muddy ending.

Beautiful trail, easy walks. Will definitely take my family here.

Great, well-groomed loop suitable for both runners and walkers. Manageable for even a third-trimester pregnant woman.

great for a quick hike or trail run. usually you will run in to people and friendly dogs. Highly recomend for new hikers or people who want a relaxing hike. It is just long enough to feel accomplished, but not long enough to be an all day acctivity. Terrain is mild in most places, it will be a slick and muddy after the rains. It is a beautiful hike and you will get a diffrent experience each time.

This hike has amazingly beautiful views! Did this hike at 7 am in the rain, VERY SLICK and extremely muddy. At one point where you cross what looks like a deep river I almost lost a shoe to the mud, I felt like atreyus horse Artrax from the neverending story. Walking stick is going to be your best friend. If you’re scared of heights don’t look down like I did because some of the ledges seem thinner than they actually are. I’m completely out of shape and was waiting for it to end a good hour and a half in but I survived so if I can do it so can you! It was BEAUTIFUL. Also agreed with post below mine, my phone said 6.4 miles in distance not 4.

Beautiful views but can someone tell me why my friends watch said 7.6 miles at the end of hiking this?

Awesome

Very muddy , but other then that really liked this hike very pretty . Took my 9 year old and 7 year old and they did really good with this hike

Nice trail for forest and H3 views. Moderately trafficked on a Sunday, and quite a few runners on the trail. We brought our dog, and even though he was worn out towards the end, it wasn't too hard for him. The ending is a little rough, very muddy. Very nice, well rounded hike.

nice view of the mountains and h3. muddy at the end. not too difficult and wasn't too busy. pretty safe hike.

We loved this trail! We did the trail backwards and started at the end and ended at the beginning. We got the mud out of the way first and there was a lot of it. The views were incredible. I would
Highly recommend this trail.

More challenging than expected - primarily due to heavy mud in areas. Really enjoyed it though.

This trail was very beautiful. Lots of breathtaking views and it is not a hard hike. The trail can be really muddy so bring shoes you don't mind getting dirty.

great undergrowth and tropical forest views, not many vista views

Logs by order of Mountain Ray.

It’s a great hike for beginners. Half way through you have a really pretty view of the H3.

Try Kalauao Falls hike or Aiea Ridge Trail if you want something more challenging. The Aiea Ridge Trail has some scenic point along the way.