Aiea Loop Trail

Aiea Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aiea, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Follow H-1 to Moanalua Highway (Route 78). Take the Aiea cutoff to the third traffic light, make a right turn at Aiea Heights Drive and follow it about 3 miles up to the end of the road. Continue on the on-way park road to the trailhead.

challenging running trail for 3/4 of the way if your up for it, but watch your step...good views..only thing missing was waterfall

Muddy but awesome! We saw wild pigs!

It’s a good trail and here are some observations:
- The first few hundred meters are very rooty but it stops.
- There are a few soggy spots on the backside portions of downhill areas where water is channeled.
- The second half is nicely downhill and mostly dry but a certain segment is waterlogged and you must carry your bike. It passes.

Overall, nice trail. Few riders and mostly hikers who tend to get out of the way.

Speeds are low, 7-8 Mph and a good circuit time is 35 Minutes’s over the 4.3 mile complete circuit. (See Strava circuit called “Aiea Loop - Full”.

Caution on some of the downhill portions bc the drop off down hill can get you in rooted areas or stony places. Use your head.

So awesome! Started off uphill, then changed to down & ended going up, again. In the shade the whole time & there were lots of roots. Also very muddy but still fun!

The route was good just got muddy at some points and kids needed assistance

Went during a rainy week, trail was pretty muddy so it slowed us down. Still had a great time.

Great loop for trail running! Was fairly muddy when I went. It rains quite often, but even with the rain would still be an easy trail to run. Great trail for dogs of all kinds as well! Not too steep and not too long. Views were limited, but still enjoyable.

Very enjoyable with great views. After raining it was too slick for me to safely run on most parts. The waterfall referenced below and in some of the pictures is not directly on the trail

Good for exercise, trail running good option here

We hiked the loop to the waterfalls. Nice easy loop, we trail ran it on the way out from the falls. Tons of parking and clean bathrooms.

Scenic trail and it is a moderate trail but you can make it alittle harder by going thru all the side trails(don’t get lost thou). God for the kids as well as the older crowd. Try camping there to have a “whole experience” so you can hike and then relax there after.

very nice hike!!

Good place to hike. Can get really slippery so make sure you have good hiking shoes on!!

Super muddy and long. We did it with 2 kids so it took longer than the average person. Spectacular views. I suggest starting at the bottom, near the first parking lot. That way it's not such a steep incline at the very end.

Long and muddy. Kid friendly, but I would have enjoyed it more on my own. We enjoyed finding an old, downed airplane and over-looking the H-2. Very muddy but I imagine it's a great hike on a sunny day.

Awesome views! It took me 2.5 hours to finish the hike but I stopped to take pictures along the way. Make sure if you bring your dog they don’t slip down the edge. Most of the time there’s a steep cliff on one of your sides. I parked at the bottom of the gate and walked up to the starting point then when I finished I had a shorter walk down to my car.

A great trail with beautiful views. Good for the whole family.

My little jack russell did better than I did on this trail! Great workout and great views.

My wife and I did this hike today. Great trail, with beautiful views! I would say that this trail is moderate, but closer to easy.

2/11/2018-Group started hiking around 0815 and decided to do the trail backwards so we would end at the parking lot our cars were parked in. Met 33 groups/solo hikers along the way along with at least 5 dogs. Weather was pretty good and ground was mostly dry except for a few areas here and there that were a little soft. Overall it was a great outing and 1.5L of water was more than enough.

Not a bad little hike, not sure about it being moderate. Pretty easy hike for a round trip. Not as many views as I was expecting, but still worth the time. It was a great hike to spend outdoors and enjoy time with loved ones.

did it before sun up. amazing!

This hike feels never ending. There are a lot of beautiful views and the trail does get very narrow. So if you are scared of heights be be warned.

Nice hike, perfect for dogs and Keiki! There’s a plane wreckage there somewhere as well as a trail that leads to a Falls area so this easy trail can get pretty adventurous if you choose.

I love this hike. Not much to it but it's light trafficking and challenging here and there.

Good

Challenging for first-time hikers in Hawaii. Fun, muddy and quite moderate. Ok for kids but not under 10 years old. Stunning view from the top. Walking through was slightly dangerous in some places and quite tight in others. Not traffic but was nice to see other people passing by in both directions. Took little over 2 hours to finish it.

This was a great hike to do on Saturday. Beautiful views, not too sunny, and easy to do if you are physically fit. Pretty muddy, so take it easy around those areas near the edge. Bring water and enjoy they tranquility.

First off I have to mentioned that I am super scared of heights. I went with my 7 and 10 year old kids and we started at the end of the parking lot although I would recommend to start at to lower trail head so you walk downhill towards your car in the end. The trail started nice no mud since it hadn’t rained recently, then along the path there were steep drop offs to on side of the trail which scared me but the path switched between nice and scary. When we got to the point where you can see H3 the path was relatively narrow and the drop off to the left was too much for me and we turned around and walked the same way back. Fazit: The trail is relatively easy to walk even for kids but if you are extremely scared of heights this is not the trail you want to go. The views are pretty but I have seen better views on other hikes.