Aiea Loop Trail

Aiea Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aiea, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Follow H-1 to Moanalua Highway (Route 78). Take the Aiea cutoff to the third traffic light, make a right turn at Aiea Heights Drive and follow it about 3 miles up to the end of the road. Continue on the on-way park road to the trailhead.

It is a very easy, kid/dog friendly hike. Surrounded by lots of trees. A hike I would recommend for family day.

A great trail! Bring the family and pets on this one! Be respectful of this trail there is memorial for soldiers who died in this forest. The views of the H3 and pearl harbor from the top are well worth the trek. Be careful if it has recently rained , the trail can be quite muddy! Bring lots of water. Hiking shoes highly recommended.

Great trail ... I ran it in just under an hour. It was muddy and I fell once. If you walk at a moderate pace expect to take a couple hours.

7/4/2018-Started on the trail about 0730 and ran into 17 groups/solo hikers; couple of them brought their dog and one group had remote controlled toy monster trucks driving through. Trail was a little muddy but the overall weather was nice. Especially with the breeze rushing through the area! Easily made it with 1L of water and don’t forget sunscreen!

Nice quick workout today. Lots of areas being dug up by the pigs.

Awesome trail, I bit muddy at times but has nice trails and good overall feel to get in touch with the outdoors.

The trail is muddy. No way around it. Bring a change of shoes. Most of the trail is joggable even though it's very slippery. A great workout! Good for a hot day, lots of shade.

Awesome trail. Took my two boys. It’s a bit muddy but all’s well. Has beautiful scenery along the way. One thing no one suggests is to park at the bottom and start there. If not, it’s a bit of a trek back up to your car.

Great place to enjoy a leisurely hike. Even midday heat during summer, which is usually fairly stifling, was mitigated by the beautiful airiness of this well covered path. Wife and I tried to tackle a little much for the entire loop and added some portions of the Aieia ridge and Kalauoa Falls trail (going counterclockwise; don’t recommend it as it is not well developed this way) before settling on doing the rest of the regular loop. Altogether, even adding another mile or so, it took only three hours. Highly recommend.

Me and my husband did this hike today, it‘s a nice and easy hike.we saw also some ppl with there kids doing it.

Wonderful views. A little slippery, but mostly great.

Nice trail...Great workout!

The views are great, the mud gets deep, but the whole family can go

Really beautiful trail! Lots of different types of scenery to enjoy. One minute you feel like you're in the forest, another, the jungle! So cool! I would recommend skipping this one if it's raining or has recently rained. Can be really muddy and super slippery in a lot of areas which can be dangerous because there are steep drop offs to one side of the trail.

This was a great hike!

My only reservation about doing this again was the fact that I wasn’t prepared for some of the somewhat dangerous spots (particularly because it rained, therefore muddy and slippery). It was my husband, 7 month old son (wore him the whole time), and I so I wouldn’t say this is the most baby friendly trail. However, we’re still pretty new to the island and aren’t avid hikers so it could’ve been that as well...not to discourage anyone from hiking with their little ones, but just a heads up! Wear the right shoes with lots of traction, and be extra careful and you’ll enjoy it!

It’s worth the trip but it’s unrideable at times but overall a good trail.

The beginning starts at the top of the hill parking lot near a Latrine building and the beginning hundred meters or so is massively rooty. You can find a line to pass but expect a slow start.

It smooths out and you can open it up for a fast ride for most of the rest of the trail.

Some portions are simply not rideable due to water crossings, waterlogged areas or large bolder formations and mud. These are limited and won’t much affect overall lap times.

The second Half of the trail is much faster and fewer obstacle so you’ll really be able to go fast there.

Be alert for dangerous areas that could cause serious injury if you are not paying attention or are inexperienced.

Overall it’s a fun trail but as we are limited to good trails in the Island, we have to cope with what we do have.

My first outing here I got the fastest lap time in strava.com recorded rides and that made me happy. (Like 15 minutes faster than the previous record holder so, Hahahahahah)

Love
Greg

challenging running trail for 3/4 of the way if your up for it, but watch your step...good views..only thing missing was waterfall

Muddy but awesome! We saw wild pigs!

So awesome! Started off uphill, then changed to down & ended going up, again. In the shade the whole time & there were lots of roots. Also very muddy but still fun!

The route was good just got muddy at some points and kids needed assistance

Went during a rainy week, trail was pretty muddy so it slowed us down. Still had a great time.

Great loop for trail running! Was fairly muddy when I went. It rains quite often, but even with the rain would still be an easy trail to run. Great trail for dogs of all kinds as well! Not too steep and not too long. Views were limited, but still enjoyable.

Very enjoyable with great views. After raining it was too slick for me to safely run on most parts. The waterfall referenced below and in some of the pictures is not directly on the trail

Good for exercise, trail running good option here

We hiked the loop to the waterfalls. Nice easy loop, we trail ran it on the way out from the falls. Tons of parking and clean bathrooms.

Scenic trail and it is a moderate trail but you can make it alittle harder by going thru all the side trails(don’t get lost thou). God for the kids as well as the older crowd. Try camping there to have a “whole experience” so you can hike and then relax there after.

very nice hike!!

Good place to hike. Can get really slippery so make sure you have good hiking shoes on!!

Super muddy and long. We did it with 2 kids so it took longer than the average person. Spectacular views. I suggest starting at the bottom, near the first parking lot. That way it's not such a steep incline at the very end.

Long and muddy. Kid friendly, but I would have enjoyed it more on my own. We enjoyed finding an old, downed airplane and over-looking the H-2. Very muddy but I imagine it's a great hike on a sunny day.