Ahuimanu Trail

Ahuimanu Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ahuimanu, Hawaii that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding.

On 5/17/18, an Experienced hiker fell 30 ft and died. Please use extreme caution while exploring these trails in Hawaii. Although the trail to get there may be rated as easy, it can also be deadly..sometimes through no fault of your own due to landslides, falling boulders, flash flooding, etc. Please be safe and don’t underestimate the terrain or take unnecessary chances for photos etc. RIL Spider-Man

Local hiker dies after falling from Ahuimanu Falls trail

Freddie Patricio of Hike Hawaii group on Facebook.

I just did this hike a few hours ago. DO NOT GO IF IT IS RAINING. It wasn't raining when we got there but it started pouring out of the blue and the stream started flooding to were we could not continue in either direction. I honestly thought my friends and I were going to die. We had to call 911 and be helicoptered out. It's not a bad hike. It just can be dangerous.

I ventured up the trail on a very wet afternoon by myself so. when I came upon 2 piglets, then snorts and the bushes moving I hightailed it out of there right quick. i want join others to scramble up to the falls.

If it wasn't for Katie A.'s review, we'd like never had gone as far as we did. Mahalo for the awesome review with all the detailed guidance. Apart from those wise words, it's not an easy hike given the traversing of the overgrown watershed. Wear closed toed wet shoes for this hike.

Difficulty: Easy, but pace may be slow depending on conditions. Take your time and don't slip! Easier: Manoa Falls, Likeke Falls. Slighty more difficult: Lulumahu Falls. More Difficult: Waimano Falls.

Things to see: little brown frogs, massive olena roots, amazing mushroom formations, water coming out of the rock face, falls

To get to the trailhead: The trailhead is unmarked in a residential area between Heno Place and Lile Place, off Hui Kelu Street. We parked on Lile Place and walked the short distance to the stream. Since the trail is unmarked, it was confusing how to start, but the actual trailhead is on the left of the stream when facing south. Head to the trees and you should see some metal poles in the ground. Do NOT attempt to follow the stream itself from Hui Kelu Street, as it is incredibly overgrown, easy to fall and get hurt.

The Trail: The trail is marked sporadically with pink ribbons, and two white metal information signs. For a while the trail meanders through the trees and is very muddy; wear hiking shoes or sneakers with good grip. Eventually you will be forced to hike up the stream itself due to the massive amount of overgrowth that is virtually impossible to climb through as it's so dense and tangled (as of this time). Take your time on the rocks as they are very slippery, especially after walking through the mud.

The falls: There are actually TWO falls, best seen a day after heavy rain or they will be dry. The first you will encounter is an "unimpressive" waterfall off a rock face. This is where most people stop and think there isn't more—and we made this mistake too. In this same area to the left of the falls is a really cool hole where the water is coming out of the rock face and feeds the stream even when it's dry. The second falls are not obvious from this location. Follow the rock face to the right and you will come to the chute falls which is the type of falls most people are hoping to see.

In summary: We enjoyed the hike very much, and it was better than our expectations. The overgrowth made it quite fun to find our own way to the falls, and we saw a lot of cool things on the way. It was by far not the most beautiful falls I've seen, but the journey was a lot of fun and I'd do it again.

Short hike. Crazy it’s right in the backyard of a lot of homes. Don’t like how many mosquitos there are but that comes with the territory of any jungle/stream following hike.

Simple. Decent. But probably won’t do again.

over grown, lots of mosquitoes bring bug spay. easy but muddy little hike.

Sunday, April 23, 2017