West Lake Trail

West Lake Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gainesville, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Parking is cheap and it's a really nice place to hike when the leaves are gone. There are enough features aside from the plants to keep it interesting beyond the pleasure of walking through the woods and, for the most part, the trails are easy to follow even with heavy leaf covering. It's pretty low impact with very few areas that are so rocky or rooty that I had to keep my eyes down. Aside from a few creeks, there is also a reservoir with an incredible dock, a pretty nice suspension bridge, and a tiny bit of meadowland to mix things up a bit. The signage is mostly good, though there are a few intersections that aren't well marked where (what I think is) a service road from the Nature Center cuts through the trails and some of the maps are outdated, saying that there is a Bridge Trail when it's actually the Dunlap Trail that goes over the bridge. Also, there are a ton of trees down. None are in the way, but the amount of tree carnage is striking, to say the least.

Dogs aren’t allowed during the week, only on the weekend. I didn’t even get to enjoy the trail after driving an hour with my dog.

I love loop trails and this one is now of my favorites. In and out. Lots of great sloping hill/elevations and "tree root foot" challenges. If that makes sense. It's a well preserved area with beautiful streams and a nice pond to stop for a snack and watch birds. There is a working water fountain at the top of the hill above the pond near the wooden structure that was a nice respite as well.

Very natural setting and I understand now why it's a favorite for trail runners.

We had a five-year-old in our group and she enjoyed it. Of course we had a very early start at 8 AM so she didn't tucker out too quickly. There are a lot of roots however and she did trip up a few times (as we all did) but no injuries. Just something to keep in mind if you have small children or if you are clumsy. Like me.

This ap says you can mountain bike on this trail so we tried and it was not really doable with all the stairs and steep logs. If this trail is considered moderate for mountain biking then I would hate to see hard. After we did this loop there was a sign visible at the finish that said no biking, strictly a hiking trail which made much more sense.

I thought it was beautiful. very secluded with lots of bridges.

Pleasant well-marked day hiking in Chicopee Woods Natural Preserve. And well worth the $1 parking fee! (Collection box is in the parking lot.) First time I've hiked a trail where they even mark the nastiest roots for you haha. The All Trails directions take you right to the overflow parking lot to set off on the longer West Lake Trail loop, but there is also another parking lot on the far end of the trail right next to Chicopee Lake. Wouldn't make a difference if you set off to do the loop from there if you prefer. The lake is really pretty. It was worth the 35-minute drive up from Duluth, and I'll probably come back a couple times a year.

lots to see.