West Lake Trail

West Lake Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gainesville, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I love loop trails and this one is now of my favorites. In and out. Lots of great sloping hill/elevations and "tree root foot" challenges. If that makes sense. It's a well preserved area with beautiful streams and a nice pond to stop for a snack and watch birds. There is a working water fountain at the top of the hill above the pond near the wooden structure that was a nice respite as well.

Very natural setting and I understand now why it's a favorite for trail runners.

We had a five-year-old in our group and she enjoyed it. Of course we had a very early start at 8 AM so she didn't tucker out too quickly. There are a lot of roots however and she did trip up a few times (as we all did) but no injuries. Just something to keep in mind if you have small children or if you are clumsy. Like me.

This ap says you can mountain bike on this trail so we tried and it was not really doable with all the stairs and steep logs. If this trail is considered moderate for mountain biking then I would hate to see hard. After we did this loop there was a sign visible at the finish that said no biking, strictly a hiking trail which made much more sense.

I thought it was beautiful. very secluded with lots of bridges.

Pleasant well-marked day hiking in Chicopee Woods Natural Preserve. And well worth the $1 parking fee! (Collection box is in the parking lot.) First time I've hiked a trail where they even mark the nastiest roots for you haha. The All Trails directions take you right to the overflow parking lot to set off on the longer West Lake Trail loop, but there is also another parking lot on the far end of the trail right next to Chicopee Lake. Wouldn't make a difference if you set off to do the loop from there if you prefer. The lake is really pretty. It was worth the 35-minute drive up from Duluth, and I'll probably come back a couple times a year.

lots to see.