West Lake Trail

West Lake Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gainesville, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Enjoyed West Lake, East Lake and Dunlop Trails. Well marked and well maintained. Lots of down trees but all trails were cleared. Did not see another human being for the first 45 minutes of my hike. Saw many butterflies and birds. Peaceful during the week.

Nice easy hike

It was an amazing hike with both the West & East Lake Trail. Really nice folks work at the Nature Center.

Great trail

Parking is cheap and it's a really nice place to hike when the leaves are gone. There are enough features aside from the plants to keep it interesting beyond the pleasure of walking through the woods and, for the most part, the trails are easy to follow even with heavy leaf covering. It's pretty low impact with very few areas that are so rocky or rooty that I had to keep my eyes down. Aside from a few creeks, there is also a reservoir with an incredible dock, a pretty nice suspension bridge, and a tiny bit of meadowland to mix things up a bit. The signage is mostly good, though there are a few intersections that aren't well marked where (what I think is) a service road from the Nature Center cuts through the trails and some of the maps are outdated, saying that there is a Bridge Trail when it's actually the Dunlap Trail that goes over the bridge. Also, there are a ton of trees down. None are in the way, but the amount of tree carnage is striking, to say the least.

Dogs aren’t allowed during the week, only on the weekend. I didn’t even get to enjoy the trail after driving an hour with my dog.

I love loop trails and this one is now of my favorites. In and out. Lots of great sloping hill/elevations and "tree root foot" challenges. If that makes sense. It's a well preserved area with beautiful streams and a nice pond to stop for a snack and watch birds. There is a working water fountain at the top of the hill above the pond near the wooden structure that was a nice respite as well.

Very natural setting and I understand now why it's a favorite for trail runners.

We had a five-year-old in our group and she enjoyed it. Of course we had a very early start at 8 AM so she didn't tucker out too quickly. There are a lot of roots however and she did trip up a few times (as we all did) but no injuries. Just something to keep in mind if you have small children or if you are clumsy. Like me.

This ap says you can mountain bike on this trail so we tried and it was not really doable with all the stairs and steep logs. If this trail is considered moderate for mountain biking then I would hate to see hard. After we did this loop there was a sign visible at the finish that said no biking, strictly a hiking trail which made much more sense.

I thought it was beautiful. very secluded with lots of bridges.

Pleasant well-marked day hiking in Chicopee Woods Natural Preserve. And well worth the $1 parking fee! (Collection box is in the parking lot.) First time I've hiked a trail where they even mark the nastiest roots for you haha. The All Trails directions take you right to the overflow parking lot to set off on the longer West Lake Trail loop, but there is also another parking lot on the far end of the trail right next to Chicopee Lake. Wouldn't make a difference if you set off to do the loop from there if you prefer. The lake is really pretty. It was worth the 35-minute drive up from Duluth, and I'll probably come back a couple times a year.

lots to see.

Very fun trail

Nice easy trail. Well kept w/ lots of birds at the "lake".
Where I'm from they're called ponds. Found myself in Gainesville w/ time to kill so...

Shaded and not much traffic for a Saturday morning

Friday, April 21, 2017

This is a great and simple trail around the lake at Chicopee.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Fantastic afternoon hike. We did the full 4.5 - 5 miles in about 3 hours, taking time for my girlfriend to take a million pictures, get drinks and snacks out of the backpack and just not getting in a hurry. You forget that you're right by 985 and in Gainesville.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Awesome trail!

Monday, January 09, 2017

Well marked and maintained trail. 25 degrees the day I was there and still birds and deer were observed.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Nice combo of ups and downs

Monday, November 07, 2016

Dogs are not allowed Monday-Friday. Only allowed on weekends.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Great place to take the family and the dog on the weekend.

Friday, November 04, 2016

FYI dogs are no longer allowed

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Great Trail! After you reach the 4.5 mark and the "you are here" map, be sure to go left to return to Science Center and parking.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

A good, long, moderate trail. The west-east trail is a perfect workout.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Great hiking trail! Very well marked. My wife and I did the orange loop. It ended up being right at about 5 miles.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Lots of up and down, making for a good workout. Very quiet and lightly trafficked the day we went.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

A good thing to note is dog are only allowed on Saturday and Sunday. The rest of the week they are not. So I can not rate this place because I came with my dog on Thursday only to discover we couldn't do anything :/

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Great trail. Really feel you are away from it all.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Very good. Fairly long trail.

Friday, May 27, 2016

love going here on my days off for a close walk/hike