For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Vogel State Park to Blood Mountain is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.5 mi Elevation gain 2,001 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

A hiking trail from Vogel State Park to the top of Blood Mountain. The trail is strenuous in certain portions and lightly used. The trail begins at the southern most campsites in the park. However, you must park at the park's visitor's center and walk through the campground to the Pioneer Camping area. From there follow the trail which becomes more narrow soon after passing the last campsites. It is steep in some portions. Make sure to turn left at the junction with the Bare Hare trail. From here the trail is more moderate. during the middle section it climbs the southern ridge of Blood Mountain, passing two campsites before going over Slaughter Gap and joining the A.T. which then takes you to the top of Blood Mountain. Spectacular views from Blood Mountain, including of your starting point back at Vogel State Park.

Plenty of parking at Vogel State Park. Parking fee required.

Vogel State Park 706-745-2628 http://www.gastateparks.org/Vogel

Follow Highway 19/129 North from Dahlonega or South from Blairsville to Vogel State Park. You can obtain a trail map at the park office.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (129)
Photos (959)
Recordings (109)
Completed (367)
Rajas Kirtane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! Full pants and shirts are recommended as the trail is overgrown in many areas. My gadgets show trail/ route to be closer to 10 miles.

Robert Neely
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingOver grown
View Robert's Recording
Bojan Drobic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

There are lots or slippery rocks on the way up. So just be careful especially if it just rained. Well worth the hike up to the top. I would do it again.

Norman Hicks Sr.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Wow. I’ve been up and down these trails before, but today nearly sunk me. Part of it I’m sure is the COVID conditioning from the trailheads being closed and the influx of idiots in response. Also I’m attempting to transition from day hiker to backpacker so I’ve been gradually increasing the load I’m carrying. The trail was busy today, but not really crowded. It was a really pretty day. I checked the temperature with Siri on the way down and she said it was 75 degrees at a bit after 3:00 pm. Sure beats the 90’s I’ve been seeing at work all week.

View Norman's Recording
John Stauter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingGreat!

Fantastic trail. It's hard so make sure to be prepared with water & food. I took 3 litres of water in my camelbak (hiked in July, HOT) and drank all of it. I started at the Vogel Park Visitor Center. Walk up to the trailhead, and then hike up to a point to where you see sign for " Blood Mountain". This will take you clockwise on the Coosa Backcountry trail. The ascent on the Coosa backcountry trail is fun and intense at times. Turn left at the Duncan Ridge Trail. This section is gorgeous! I enjoyed this part the most. It was a tad overgrown in areas, but not that bad. Then turn left on the AT and you can walk up to Blood Mountain. There are many side campsites and views you can explore as you get closer to the peak. I saw 2 black bears and a turtle during my trip. What a great hike.

Madison Pollard
Hiking

Very little foot traffic, not as far as said. More like 5 mi there.

View Madison's Recording
Angelique Daigle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
Hiking

June 19, 2020 - Great hike! Started from our campsite at Vogel SP and made it to the Blood Mountain shelter in about 2.5 hours with 2 short breaks. The path was a little overgrown once we got onto the Duncan Ridge trail, but cleaner after we joined the AT near the summit. We left at 9 am and didn’t see anyone until we got to Blood Mountain. We decided to continue our hike to Neel’s Gap via the AT. This part of the trail is very popular and we saw lots of other hikers. The total for our hike was about 7 miles.

AA Team
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes in Georgia! Did this today (June 2020) as a day hike and 2 years ago (May 2018) as part of a backpacking trip. Took us about 4 hours round trip including a stop to eat lunch at the top. Got back to our car around 2:30 and there was a line to get in the park so make sure you get there early.

Jonathan Steinmetz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2020
Hiking

44 years old .. intermediate hiker.. regular fitness I'd say this really is about as good as it gets for a day hike.. given all the AT access points are closed Signs up say AT is closed at Duncan Ridge junction but you can still get up to Blood Mountain summit if you choose I did this as a loop - up Bear Hare to Blood Mountain cam back down Coosa. This added about 1.5 miles but I thought it was worth it. The loop bit is pretty obvious on the All Trails map. Would recommend doing it counter clockwise - go up the way its shown here but down the other trail. Coosa is pretty direct and more rugged so was rough coming down. also you can save the Vogel overlook till the end.

Ron Ahlstedt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

I did this trail solo 5-2-20. I only saw 6 other hikers the entire hike. Trail is in great shape.

Joe Burch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 17, 2020
View Joe's Recording
Brent Dunn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 28, 2020
HikingFeeRocky
View Brent's Recording
Bryce Trotter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

Second time on this trail; first time was in early September. Beautiful both go-rounds. There was still plenty of snow on the eastern side of the valley (I went down the western prong of the Bear Hair on the way out) and all along the AT to the summit. Really enjoyed the climb up. Missed the turn off from the AT back on the Duncan, so be careful on the way back down or else you’ll add unnecessary miles to your hike. Might be my favorite trail in GA

Todd W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 29, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddyRockySnow

Great hike. Like most people say mileage is off, we came in at 8.3 out and back. The are some tough inclines, but overall it was very manageable. There are some blow downs to go over/ under nothing to crazy. As we got closer to the Bear Hair intersection we ran into a snowy trail all the way to Blood Mountain. It was a beautiful scene. Duncan Ridge is not marked clearly and we lost the trail once because of the snow and lack of blazes, but the all trails app got us back on track. The AT was snow covered as well and icy in certain spots. At the top the view was awesome and made the hike worth the effort. The way down turned into a muddy mess due to the melting snow. Total hiking time was just under 5 hours, that does not include about 30-40 minutes for lunch atop Blood Mountain. We will be doing this one again.

Jason Reina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 4, 2020

Very good workout! Be prepared for all uphill on the way out, and all downhill on the way back. The view at Blood Mountain was blocked by heavy clouds when I went, but it started to snow on me, which was pretty cool! Shelter at Blood was way more busy than I anticipated, even for early February.

Jason H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 1, 2019
Hiking

Really great hike. Very challenging in spots, but otherwise fun and rewarding.

Nancy Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 9, 2019

Recording for hike down 11/9/19

View Nancy's Recording
Nancy Roberts

Recording for hike UP 11/9/19

View Nancy's Recording
William Turner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 28, 2019
Hiking

Much easier than the hike from the other side of the mountain. Was 8.2 miles which is more than we expected. Just a walk in the woods until we were on the AT. Saw a hunter and turkeys, not close to each other. Great views from the top of Blood Mountain.

View William's Recording
Cecile Hutchison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 27, 2019
View Cecile's Recording
Greg Horstmeier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 20, 2019
Hiking

Very enjoyable hike with solid elevation gain and variability. I completed in mid-October and the fall colors were just beginning. Got foggy/misty along the Appalachian trail and sadly the view was obscured at the top due to fog - would be a great view on a clear day!

View Greg's Recording
Maegan White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 6, 2019
Hiking

We entered the trail near cabin 7 and began or climb. Took a left at the fork near bear trail. Then the signage and blazes became difficult to find. Caught the AT up to blood mountain. The way back down we missed a turn and had some bonus miles and a hitch hike adventure back to the cars lol it was a great day though! No bears. No snakes. Lots of friendly ppl and dogs. Foggy but finally feeling like fall today!

Tony Tony Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2019
Hiking

Very challenging, but that's what you should expect from this trail, if you want it easy try Blood from Neel's gap. no joke about the turn being hard to miss on the way down, I got some bonus miles from that detour. I definitely think it's at least 8 miles though. no bears.

Matthew Sanford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2019
HikingRocky

Used Alltrails and GAIA, they differ by about a tenth of mile, and I was tracking round trip around 8.5 miles. The visitor center person said it was 7. Be prepared for over 4 miles almost all uphill and then back down. I was carrying 30lb pack for training and was much harder. But the views and scenery totally worth it. The entrance is near cabin 7 at Vogel St Pk. You will need to park near the visitor center and walk up the road couple hundred yards to get to trailhead. At the top where it meets Duncan, there a couple trails upward. Someone wrote on the sign the direction to Blood Mtn on one of the signs, but there isn't an official sign so look for it. It's easy to miss the turn on the way down so check your app or you can be headed off towards Slaughter Mtn. Trails are in great shape and about mile from the top, there was a whole bunch of white and yellow blooms in this one areas, very nice.