Vineyard Mountain Trail

Vineyard Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cartersville, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail! Definitely take the red trail if you want to put in some work. Only passed a few people. Plenty of swimming spots for dogs.

Good trail with lots of switchbacks, inclines and declines. If you are feeling brave, there’s a cave that goes back about 50 feet then opens up into a dead end located on the far side of the shore. Look for a rusted chain at the mouth. Being a hiking stick if you have bad knees. Also be on the lookout for snakes and other wildlife as I ran across one right off the trail and saw numerous deer tracks down by the banks.

That was a great hike, the red trail adds the exclamation point to the difficulty of it for sure. Didn't see anyone out or back except for the workers at the cell tower at the top.

Beautiful and challenging trail. Gorgeous views along the way, especially the dam. Easy to find, yet I never knew it was there! A hidden treasure.

Loved this trail! rolling hills, woods, lake views, changing terrain to keep the walk interesting. It was cool to see the views of the dam. A tough short section of walk to the summit. Not exactly a summit to hang out at but the views up there in the winter were in every direction. The best part of hiking this trail is hiking the trail. I will definitely be hiking this trail again very soon. I did not stop during my hike and it took 2 hours and 40 minutes to complete and I clocked the trail at 6 miles for the yellow, red and blue trail. Oh, and I only saw 1 person on the trail the entire hike.

Good trail, well maintained.

Great trail! Has a lot of technical hiking features, and is great for a workout, hike, trail run.

Have been using it to get my pups in shape for a 3day hiking trip and it’s been really great!

just amazing if you want exersise. The summit at the top is a bit underwhelming, but still great. The amazing dam view makes up for it. Just try not to slip!

Good hike overall. Didn't see a soul along the way and easy enough my 8 year old daughter to complete. Great view of the dam at the end.

Gets your blood pumping early on and finishes with a strong climb. I enjoyed this trail both times I’ve done it

Decent areas for trail runs. Some extreme gains. If you are looking for a challenging run this is it.

love it close to home and the views from up top are awesome plus views of the dam are neat too and blue trail are a little steep good luck and enjoy

I have always enjoyed this trail, especially, when it is cooler. It does have some steeper sections.

I started at the west part of the trail and took the blue blazed trail to connect with the red blaze trail to the top then back down the red blazed trail to connect with the yellow which meets back up with the blue blaze trail at the parking area. It was about 1.6 miles to summit and a steep climb the entire time. Great work out but the views weren’t that great. There may be better views if I would have continued again there is 5.6 miles of trail and I didn’t do 4 of them. But it was a great short work out.

Nice trail, very little traffic, good bit of up and down, nothing technical.

The yellow trail is pretty intense. Though there are plenty of trees down along the path, it's worth every bit. There will be a next time.

Did this back in Oct 2016 on the return to Atlanta after attending the air show in Rome, GA. I would rate it as a D2. Other than the climb to the top of the mountain, it was relatively flat and not too challenging. The 600' climb up the mountain would be around a D3, similar to a climb up Stone Mountain. Otherwise, a nice rolling hike along the shore of the lake most of the time.

Fun trail, moderate to strenuous at times. Well worth it

This trail is more difficult than the elevation profile shows, mostly due to the footing. This was my first time on the trail and I did not bring my poles - I won't make that mistake again.

There are 3 blaze colors, a bit faded in spots but frequent enough so they are easy to follow:
Yellow - the longest one. Runs North/South
Blue - the shortest, runs from North parking to merge of the 3 at center portion of the loop
Red - runs from the merger of the 3 at NE loop to the top and then back down to yellow at eastern portion of the loop.

If you want the most VoX for time, park at the North area on Allatoona Dam Rd, hike up either yellow or blue, then take red to the top, then down to yellow. At that point, you can go back up red and back trace or take yellow NW and complete the loop as many times as you have the time/energy.

The majority of the trail distance wise is the the in/out to the south parking on Red Top Mtn Rd. I did not find most of that section interesting or very difficult. Something to do once perhaps. The entire trail, all 3 blazes tracked to be 6.5m according to the AllTrails app (

Great hike

This is an excellent workout hike. Lots of "ups and downs"! Can also do the blue loop trail to add even a more difficult hike!!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Depending on the flow of the Etowah it's a good spot to drop kayaks or canoes and head down.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Really wonderful trail. Nice view of the lake and dam. :) we hiked in the middle of the day on a Friday and saw no one. There's a nice little parking lot at the beginning and end of the trail.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

...and everyone went hiking today. Middle of January and it's in the low 70's. This trail has a lot of up and down with a few level spots to even out your heart rate. For the first mile or so you're walking along backyards that border the property. I would consider it moderate until the climb up on the red trail, it definitely gets hard. Lots of lake views this time of year. And a quick FYI, if you do all of the trails, according to my GPS it was 6.2 miles without any backtracking.

Monday, November 28, 2016

it was a good hike but the maps were deceiving ended up in the had to Uber back.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Great day with lake views and some climbing and great view of the dam. Some deer and no one else on this less used trail

Monday, November 07, 2016

Loved this trail!

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Good hike, rocky trail, some views of the lake.

Monday, August 29, 2016

It was a real workout considering we started midday. The route we took the yellow marking was a little over 3 miles. We went to the Altoona Dam from the beginning point off of Red Top Mountain Road. A little tired since we done 6 miles atop of Pine Mountain on Saturday the day before. So I'm resting on my bed tonite with my wife Tera. We will do it again

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Lovely trail and a good challenging hike. We missed the red trail to the top and had to do a little back tracking to pick it up. The lake was also beautiful although most views are through the trees.