Vineyard Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cartersville, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,361 feet Route Type: Loop

Great hike, more challenging than other trails in the area with beautiful scenery and some steep climbs. Not meant for young children.

3 stars in the summer but I’d probably give it 4 in the fall since you’d have better views of the lake/dam. LOTS of up/downs but well maintained.

A well marked and challenging trail and not too crowded even though we went on a Sunday. We followed the yellow trail until it finished at a Frisbee golf area, then we took the blue trail to the red loop which came back to yellow. The red trail had the highest elevation climb and it made it a good solid 6.2 mile hike. We packed a lunch and ate it on our return trip at a spot with a view of the dam. The temperatures were cool in the 60s and made a comfortable hike. I would hesitate to do this one in really hot temperatures.

Great hike! There was a tree down that you have to climb around to get back on the trail. Does get muddy if it rains but worth it.

It goes along a lake, but this trail basically looks like a lollipop. It has a long trail and small loop at the end, so if you do the whole thing it ends up being closer to 10 miles. It’s got some steeper uphills that I don’t see elderly people or those in wheelchairs accessing easily, but it can be done. It was a little muddy when we went but there is a pretty rock face and some great cool green rocks. The elevation gain is surprising for a lake trail, and there’s not a great view but is beautiful who like hiking simply for the art and the escape of nature.

When there’s been too much rain don’t bother. It gets flooded and impassable at .5 miles in.

Up and down along the lake for the first 2.5 miles. Beautiful views of the water throughout. Then the loop trail to the top of Vineyard Mountain kicks into gear - challenging but easily managed if you’re in decent shape. Highly recommended for the increased difficulty compared to other trails in the area.

Right now there is a section blocked off by flood water. But, other than that great hike. Also got to see them releasing a ton of water from the damn. Worth the hike.

flooded

really awesome trail for a good workout, pretty steep in some places on the yellow trail, the blue trail is up the whole time. trail was flooded in two spots unfortunately.

Hard... very nice well marked trail. GPS read 8.8 miles NOT 5.3. Ugly chain link fenced cell tower at the top. No scenic overlook, so no payoff at the top. Nice workout. Best to use GPS if it's your first time here.

The trail blazes were faded, especially on the red trail. It looks like they hadn’t been out recently to cut some of the fallen trees. Be mindful when people say this trail is STEEP b/c it is! Super fun, though we got lost a few times, and pretty views of surrounding hills and the lake.

We took the yellow trail- supposedly moderate but this old chubby body says- “DANG” we thought it was a loop but after 3 miles someone realized that they read the map wrongly- we called a rescue friend to bring us back to our cars. With that being said- it is still a great hike- lots of tree roots and rocks, so a lot of care given- a lot of steep ups and downs. You get to go right by the Dam which is interesting and lots of pretty views of the lake

Steep AF

Hiking in from Red Top Mountain road to the dam is fairly easy The blue trail is not so bad but combine the blue trail from the river with the red trail and it is a lot of hill in a short time. All in all I enjoyed the tail for a good workout. Bugs were not an issue for me but I use plenty of spray mostly to keep the ticks off.

Not a bad spot to hike but man was it buggy. This would maybe be in my top 3 hiking spots near Atlanta but bugs were in my face the whole time. It’s not really a difficult hike either but all and all not bad.

Good trail, pretty intense for trail running.

A good worthwhile hike, however don't expect much of a view from the top. the top of the mountain ties into a private neighborhood with some views, but likely little appreciation for gawkers. But great for a challenging workout, and I imagine in autumn and winter there would be more in the way of views. you can approach the allatoona dam opposite the side with the official overlook.

This trail is pretty good for the area. Most of the trails in Red Top are just cliche walking trails that hug the lake. This one is similar, with the exception of quite a bit of elevation gain. The red trail is no joke though, it goes straight up and down. This would be the only part that I would say was difficult. The bad part is at the Etowah river smells really bad, like sulfur..... It's a good training trail for bigger stuff. I would give it 5 stars if it didn't smell like a big fart for a large section of it.

All in we clocked just under 7 miles in about 3 hours. The yellow trail is a moderate+ hike, but the addition of the blue and red loops make this a challenging albeit rewarding hike. We only saw 3 other hikers on a Saturday morning. The trail is well blazed and maintained. I recommend for anyone looking for a good workout. We will be back.

Very intense, uphill. Great workout. Very organic! There is a disc golf course that you can play & it will take you to the trail head. Such a beautiful hidden gem.

Not my favorite trail. It seemed very snakey to me if that is even a word. So many areas were very narrow and overgrown. I felt like I had to watch my feet so much I couldn’t enjoy the scenery. As far as the hike itself, it is very up and down, up and down but I didn’t actually find it as difficult as pine mountain in cartersville. I would rate this one more moderate and pine mountain hard in my opinion. It does end at the dam which is a pretty scenery and neat to see the aerial view but overall not a trail I plan to do again.

Great trail. It does earn the hard rating though. Especially if you add the loop at the end. Lots of up and downs. Look out for rocks and roots. Very shady and nice on a hot summer day. Took us about 2 hrs to complete.

recorded Vineyard Mountain Trail

There is a lot of up and down on this trail. I have done trails with more elevation that did not exhaust me as much as this one did. I was definitely feeling the burn when I was done.

Probably just the upper end of moderate. Boat noise is prominent until you get to the dam. Lots of up and downs. Good workout.