Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Tray Mountain Road is a 14.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Helen, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,506 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Please note: this trail may experience partial or full closures. The trail marked is very easy. There are side trails that are fun along the way. The section marked hard is a lot of fun. Pretty technical in some spots. There is one section that requires a lifted vehicle to pass.

closed

Unfortunately the trail was closed from entrance off Hwy 386. Marked with a sign and also gate shut. Not sure why it is closed. Past two times I’ve tried to come up it was not open on beautiful sunny days.

trail is about half open, once you reach the peak it is closed to offroad vehicles. we came back down through the falls road which is a great scenic drive

great trail. we have stock jeeps with mud tiers.

ohv/off road driving

Let’s get this straight, u ignored a road closed sign and r upset with the ranger? He should have simply executed u on the spot. Dumb ass.

closed

tray Mountain road is an awesome trail however the end of the trail where the road closed signs are nailed to the trees, Forestry Service has begun installing metal gate frame to actually close the end off to vehicles as of New Years Day. :( they are set in a ton of concrete each so i guess no one gets the idea of running over them. Anyone have any idea as to when they may be possibly reopening the road. Also discovered the forestry service road that goes up to Horse Trough falls is still closed as well and it has been closed for over a year now.

ohv/off road driving

Overall about a 4/10 regarding required off road experience needed. Easy to ID the trail head heading West to East. Muddy ruts, water crossing and some nice side roads. The side roads can be a quick off road obstacle which returns quickly to Tray Mountain Road. Saw some Road Closed signs but with open gates to continue down Tray Road, instead of risking a ticket my first time I went down Indian Grave Gap Rd. This road was much more paved and was a quick drive back to Unicoi Turnpike. I’ll be back

ohv/off road driving

After reading other posts, I was concerned about the trail being closed. Tried to call the ranger for a status update, but no luck reaching him. So, I just decided to try it and watch out for any "road closed" signs. The main road/trail was completely open. Zero issues. There were several side trails that were closed, and plenty of side trails that were not closed. Saw several campers with fires. This would be a fantastic place to camp. Overall, the drive is incredibly beautiful. Take your time, take trail snacks and/or picnic lunch. Enjoy some more challenging side trails. I'm going to do this trail again today and take my wife.

My wife and I entered the trail head and saw a sign "closed road", that's it, nothing else. We got about 1/10th of a mile in and decided to have lunch. somebody left a dwindling fire by the creek but lunch was good. we packed up and were going to head out and a forest ranger Chambers pulls up and wanted to know why I went passed the "road closed" sign and why I started a fire. I said sorry, we'll head back to Chimney Mtn Road and I didn't start the fire, it was already there when we arrived. He said nope, you aren't leaving, let me see your DL and said we was giving warnings for the past 2 weeks but he had it!! He was giving me a citation for being on a closed road. WTF??? This is the first time I had ever been anywhere because I just bought the used GX470 and it was my first time out. I told him, look at the temporary tag on my car, I had no idea this was a major violation? This ranger Chambers didn't care, he said he was tired of Off Roaders and wasn't putting up with this anymore and started ranting about silt and the environment. Ranger Chambers was a total @whole, even my wife questioned what his problem was. If this is who the US forest service is, then we have problems up there. This guy accused me of being on FB off road sites and posting in off road forums and I don't even have a FB account and I'venever posted on an off road site. Then he told me if I didnt pay the fine, the US Marshall's would come arrest me. This guy has a screw loose and should not be a Ranger!! That's my experience on this trail thanks to our wonderful forestry service <sarcasm>. I've been a law abiding citizen my whole life and I'm a veteran and I have deal with a jackass like this from the forestry service. BTW, they charge $230 for driving past a road closed sign, lol, you can bet I'll be showing up to court for this.

ohv/off road driving

Wanted to post this so if anyone gets the idea to drive this, they’re prepared. I did this with my wife and kids, 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, stock. It was Aug 31, weather was clear. Driving from West to East, this is easy, and you could probably do it without 4 wheel drive. Once you get to the unofficial ‘half-way’ point, it opens up to a small heavy rock clearing, with a small campsite to the south. Here is the point where a few trails converge, but Tray Mtn Rd continues to the East (right path from where you entered). The is also closest to where it crosses the Appalachian trail. After this, if you don’t have 3-4 inches of lift and good clearance, and maybe some experienced ground guides, you’re going to mess up your vehicle. If it wasn’t for some experienced people with us, I would have had a tough time maneuvering obstacles on my own. From heavy washed-out parts with 12-18 inch drop-offs, a couple sections of 10-12 inch ruts full of mud, and a water hole that put water up to the trim line of my Commander, I sure was fortunate to have some experienced personnel with us. Recovery equipment is a must along with at least another partner with a good recovery vehicle. Don’t do the 2nd half by yourself. Always off-road in teams. Just posting this as a warning, since the latest reviews from a few months ago don’t have updated information. Good luck and be safe out in the trail.

private property

Pretty nice trail lots of mud and rocks but would recommend at tires and a lift to make it over some of the ruts. I went in a 02 liberty 2wd.

ohv/off road driving

Enjoyed the trail and scenery a lot and will go back again. One side was closed to traffic but there was a lot to enjoy on the other side.

ohv/off road driving

First off road trail in GA. Traveled in Jeep JK 3" lift on A/T 33s. had good clearance through whole route. Very Rocky. 98% of it was cleared in 2WD. used 4H/4L on some terrain just to be sure of no traverse issues. 10-11 mile mark I would suggest you have more than factory ride height or use some smart driving lines. started to rain 3/4 into the route and made it a challenge on the rocks but nothing you can't handle. don't mine the "road closed" signs. there is a large tree (pictured) that lays over the path. can be cleared by most lifted vehicles. took a slow pace with family on board and took roughly 3 hours with some pit stops for photos and leg stretching. would like to travel this one again in the future. there are some smaller trails that break off the main route but most are smaller than normal. go at your own pace and don't bite off more than you can chew going off route.

ohv/off road driving

Drove up with stock Tacoma TRD 4x4. No issues lots of fun. Bring sna KS and water. Took us about 2.5 hours with wife and dogs.

ohv/off road driving

Today, I rode my KTM 1290SAR through the Tray Mountain Road, what a great ride. Being on a motorcycle, I was very aware of the trucks and jeeps. We all worked together which made for an enjoyable day. Nest time I plan to adventure off the main road and see whats down that road.

ohv/off road driving

6/15/2019 Stock 2006 v6 4Runner SR5 4x2 on a/t Michelin tires with 4/32 tread life left. Started from West to East. Man did it take some work! First time off-road and I chose something that really tested me. I probably should’ve turned around at this one point down, but I felt like I made it this far down the rocky path already and it couldn’t be worse right?! Boy did it get technical for me. I’ll say, it took me 3.5 hours from point to point. Idk if there was anywhere that specifically said only 4x4 cause I kept looking out for it and never once saw anything. Maybe a red string here and there, some small looking paths and some yellow band marked around a tree...I just followed as closely as I could to stay on the path marked in this app. I feel boss now and I can see several upgrades I’ll need. Specifically rock sliders and skid plates. I bumped those a couple times and bent the heck out of my side steps on this huge boulder :D My worries about needing 4x4 out the window. It could always help, but then what’s the fun? Definitely bringing a friend next time. Most memorable part. Coming up to this path that looked like the road and been torn apart and you’d just fall off the edge until you got closer. I literally just held to the left side, creeped down and floored that sucker up! Once at the top, I teetered on 2 wheels a bit...whether keeping on traction control helped or not, I like to think I should’ve taken it off cause I can’t imagine if I had only gone halfway and stopped getting power to the wheels. I felt like I barely scrapped by that one luckily. I don’t think I would attempt East to West tho in my stock 4x2. Looks way harder and would probably require 4x4 to climb.

Love this trail. Drove through with a stock Toyota Tacoma, no issues! Didn’t see one person while we were out there.

Just an amazing trail will definitely come back definitely take a spotter or a buddy with a truck