Tray Mountain Forest Service Road

Tray Mountain Forest Service Road is a 14.2 mile point-to-point trail located near Robertstown, Georgia that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for off road driving. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

off road driving

Fun for 2wd to 4wd vehicles.

off road driving

If you go in the West entrance you can get all the way to the top no issue in just about any car. I was able to get up without using 4WD in my Tacoma no issue. On the way back down there was even a Nissan Sentra following me no issue. The east entrance is very difficult I heard, but the west is pretty easy and connects to lots of other trails. I passed plenty of people though. Definitely busy but it wasn’t much of an issue.

Tray Mountain forest service road closed at the top heading east. East entrance is closed as well.

The west side of the road is mostly a dirt road. At the top of the mountain is a large flat area, and the trail typically continues down the east side of the mountain. Due to heavy rutting, the east side of the trail was closed when I went, but it's fun when it's open.

Took the UTV and kids up today. Had a really good time, but was only able to go about 3/4 the way as we had to turn around worried about gas. Will be better prepared next time. I will say that there was a ton of traffic on the road today due to good weather conditions. Curious though to k ow if there are any decent size creeks or river to camp near. With the UTV of course....

Beautiful area with plenty of Mountain View’s as well as several waterfalls. East side of the trail was very challenging. But we had such a good time.

off road driving

Had a great time today on Tray Mountain the road was washed out on East side in a couple places but had a blast pushing through!!!

off road driving

Great 4x4 road. I'm seeing all these posts about needing lifts, tires, etc. I have a stock Jeep Willys JK, and I had no issues. Just be sure to pick your lines right.

off road driving

Great trail, I will be back once I get my rig lifted and equipped properly for emergency situation. There’s a turn around point half way if you enter through the west entrance. At that turn around point if your 4x4 is stock, I wouldn’t recommend proceeding. The trail gets pretty rough for about a quarter of a mile once you past that half way point. My Tacoma trd bottom out a few times.

off road driving

Great trail with lots of off shoots. But rocky side from the east entrance definitely requires some skill and minor mods.

Really cool for easy off road driving. Great views and also a hiking trail to the peak once you reach an opening. Be aware that the trail is only big enough for one vehicle for a time so be careful of drivers going down. (Some drivers goes down really quick around the corner)

off road driving

Trail is run some parts are rough

off road driving

Excellent! We entered from the west not really knowing what we were in for. Lots of fun with plenty of excitement along the way. Had to make our way back in the dark making it even more fun.

great trail for family and basic off roading. nice sight seeing

if you enter from the west entrance it's a nice Sunday day drive. There are some side trails you can take that require 4wd. About half way there is a wide gravel spot in the road and a hiking trail. If you drive past that point it is very rocky. A few tough spots . Road washed bad in spots. we had 4 1\2 lift and 33's we bottomed out twice and had to break the jack out and stack rocks under tires to level out suspension. About 4 hours to do 14 miles. Not for beginners.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Idrove the rocky section in a 4wd F250 with 3.5 inch lift and truetrac differentials. Tricky but fun. will definitely go back as there are many side trails to explore.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

This is a great trail for any 4x4. There are some tricky parts but patience and a little skill go a long way. Lots of great views and camping spots. My complaint is that there is one section that is very rocky and will knock you around pretty good if you don't air down or go slow.

Friday, April 21, 2017