Learn more

Trace, Yellow and Purple Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(153)
Sutallee Trace Greenspace Corridor

Trace, Yellow and Purple Trail Loop is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Canton, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Users have reported that the Purple/Pink Trail is currently impassable due to blowdown. This trail starts at the Boling Park Trailhead and follows the White Blazed 'Trace' trail to the Yellow Trail and Purple Trail. The route returns on the Trace Trail. There is a mix of everything on these trails. There is a flat portion along the Etowah River, hillier portions father back in the woods, and a crushed gravel loop for light exercise. Local boy scout troops make bridges and do upkeep of trails. Very well-maintained and beautiful. Trails are well-marked with colors. Please be sure to wear Orange during hunting season.

Good trail. River and stream refreshing. Part of area was cleared due to beetles. Saw very few people on the trail. Went with 4 kids between 9-12 and the all had a good time.

Efforts are being made to restore the trails. The yellow trail is largely intact. The purple trail, where it begins at the intersection of the yellow trail, still exists, but is largely destroyed as it descends to the confluence with the orange trail. If you want to hike/run the yellow and purple trails, its possible. When the purple trail dies at the clear cut, follow the orange markers down the hill to the logging road. Follow the logging road to the right, continuing down the hill. After you cross the creek at the bottom of the hill look for pink markers on the left that guide you back to the trail. The trail crosses the orange trail, then follows the logging road up a hill. Be careful. Although much of the downed timber in this area has been cleared, its still a bit treacherous. At the top of the hill the "trail" continues to the left back down the logging road. Continue following the pink markers. Eventually, the trail reappears. Its a shame much of the purple trail has been destroyed. Hopefully, in the coming year, we will be able to restore the trail by rebuilding it in the unlogged areas along the creek.

Lived in Canton for 30 years and never knew about it until AllTrail... Maybe because there are no signs? Anyway, it was a great experience and we enjoyed the beauty of this trail. We were a little surprised that it went right by Hightower Church. Would like to go all the way to end next time since we stopped at the church and turned around.

closed
private property

Yellow trail is great, but once you turn on the Purple/Pink Trail it is all knocked down. I must have missed the “no trespassing” sign and kept going as the logging trails more or less followed the map and I was more than 60% of the way. I did have to climb through some logs to get around an active logging truck/crane but eventually found my way back to the lower half of the pink trail as it headed into the white trail. Love these trails, but you cannot complete this trail safely as of now.

closed

Part of this trail is impassable due to logging related to a pine beetle infestation. When you get to the first turning, take a left. You can hike out to the cairn and double back, which I think would put you in the 3-3.5 mile range. There are also a few loops you can do past the cairn and then come back from there.

Parts of the trail look to have been taken out. Our first time out so maybe I'm mistaken but further back, there was heavy equipment and deforestation going on. had to turn around more than once

To start the trail From the parking lot enter to the RIGHT of gravel road & open fields immediately (see pic of blue walking stick). Great for trail running... Highlights are the boy scout constructed wooden bridges (5-6 of them). Low point is 1/3 of trail taken out by pine beetle problem & woods wiped out with mile long logging road : ( . I don’t think you can do the entire 4.6 mile trail without good GPS smart phone...as their were two times we had to redirect ourselves (eSpecially at the end of the logging road). Hiking along the river is nice. Good distance for my wife and I - and for walking a dog.

Sadly part of this trail is completely gone due to pine beetle infestation so big flat dirt road in the middle of the hike currently, but all trails kept us on the trail route until we got back to wooded area again

all pictures taken border the clear-cutting

This is a great afternoon hike. I've hiked it and used it as a trail running loop.

Fri Jun 21 2019

Hiked this yesterday with my daughter. There’s a point in the trail where there are lots of trees that have been cut down. I decided to walk on top of them and find the trail again. Not a big deal, just know if you make it to that point, trust your gut and follow the map and go up and over and you’re good! Decent hike for close to home. Lots of cool bridges built by boy scouts.

Fri Jun 21 2019

Would rate as easy if not for distance. Cleaner than described. Nothing exciting but quiet. Good local spot. I would NOT drive any distance to hike this. Better options are Pine Mtn or Blankets Creek (South or Van Michael Loops).

Sat Mar 23 2019

It's a pretty nice trail. Blazes were well marked for the most part, but non-existent in some areas. Well maintained. Fairly easy for the most part with a few good moderate climbs. Enjoyable.

Sun Dec 23 2018

Nice little trail.

Sun Oct 14 2018

it was fun, but the whole time I felt like I was lost. the markings are incredibly confusing.

Sun Sep 30 2018

Nice hike once we got situated. Came in at the Hightower Church trailhead down Old Shoal Creek and Johnson Trail. Arrived about 9:30am and a man parked at the trailhead advised us that it was dangerous to hike before 10am because it was deer season and hunters were in the area, especially down toward the Etowah river. So we were cautious and were a little sorry we hadn’t worn our dayglo orange. I had mapped out our route. There are a number of trails-all well blazed. But if you aren’t familiar with the layout and the different trails, it can be confusing. Only saw one other family out that morning along the white trail. I thought it was very scenic with varying level changes snd varying flora depending on what side of the slopes you are on and the distance from the river. Think it’s a great place to expose young people to map reading and trail reading as well. Hope to go back soon.

Mon Jul 30 2018

This trail is a short drive from my house in Canton, and this is probably my favorite thing about this trail. There isn’t much in Canton for distance walking. The gravel trail in Boling Park Is a nice 1.3 mile loop. You have to walk all the way to the back of the park where the trail turns to dirt and go along the tree line at the far end to get to Sutallee Trail. The first opening in the trees/bushes, and to the right does loop back to the beginning of the gravel path in Boling Park. This is toward the high school. If you take the bigger opening in the bushes, and go to the left you will be on the big loop.It’s true that it isn’t blazed very well. The last time I went, I took the orange blazed trail and it stopped, as far as I know, because there is a large tree across it. It seems that if you follow the white blazes, it will take you around the loop. The best thing to do is to keep alltrails open and look at it periodically to see if you’re on the trail. I haven’t done the entire loop yet.. What I have done is easy. I’ve been on the trail during the week in the late afternoon, and I encounter trail runners. The trails is very narrow for about the 1st mile and a quarter. Then it splits off into wider trail that appears to be motorized vehicle road. If you walk with headphones I recommend keeping your volume down so you can hear the runners coming. I try to give them the right away. This is a great trail, shady, and it Could be completed after work during EDT.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Was excited to go here - see the photo why I did not - absolutely NO DOGS allowed - and I’d rather not be the one to break the rule and get into hot water over it.

Wed Jun 13 2018

Had a great time hiking with my dad. Would go again for sure

Sat Mar 24 2018

I couldn’t find it. I kept ending up at Cherokee high school.

Wed Mar 07 2018

Have to go about three miles to see a sight worth looking at.

Sat Feb 24 2018

I run this trail every week. It's well marked and kept clean. Has a few low spots where it collects rain water, but overall very quiet and very nice. It has spurs that offer varying difficulty but none of it is challenging.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Nice trail close to Atlanta. Easy tho.