Toccoa River Trail

Toccoa River Trail is a 9.1 mile out and back trail located near Suches, Georgia and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Definitely a moderate trail. Lots of debris on trail after the remnants of hurricane Irma blew through.

Nice hike the hill is gradual. This trail goes out to the Toccoa suspension bridge.

An awesome place to visit. Hope to return soon. Give yourself a full day because there is a lot of exploring to be done. Did not encounter a lot of people and the few we did were very friendly

My daughter, dog and I recently completed hiked in and around the Toccoa River Trail along the greater Benton MacKaye Trail one warm Saturday in January. We began the journey to the trail by driving down an old forest service road that had been washed out many times over. The drive to the swinging bridge at the river itself was challenging, even in my Jeep. Once we arrived, we embarked toward the river and made our way to the swinging bridge.

The bridge here is remarkable. There aren't many like it in the area, so to see if up close and in person after reading about it for so long was a real treat. The bridge was constructed in 1977 by the USDA Forest Service along with the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club. My daughter was hesitant to cross, but eventually she worked up the courage to walk across without any worry. My dog, on the other hand, was not a fan of the bridge and required a bit of coaxing to make it over the river.

Once we crossed the river, we made our way up the nearby mountain by way of the Benton MacKaye Trail for a quick out and back. The incline here was very steep for the first mile or so, and the three of us stopped occasionally to catch our breath and rest our legs. Once we it to the top of the first mountain, the hike became much easier as the elevation gains seemed to level off to a friendly march along the ridge line.

The views of the valley below were incredible. Thanks to the fallen leaves and bare winter trees, we were able to see quite far away through the woods. We walked along the ridge until we reached Bryson Gap, where we ate our snacks and prepared for the walk back to the car.

One the way back, we ran into a BMT thru-hiker who told us about his recent hike of the AT and asked about the conditions ahead. The walk out was a bit tricky as the constant downhill in the last portion was made more difficult by all of the slippery leaves covering the trail.

When we arrived back to the river, I pulled out a dehydrated meal and stove, much to the delight of my daughter, and we ate Chili Mac by the riverside before heading home.

The trail here was very well maintained with only a few recent obstructions on the trail. In total, we hiked about 10 miles and spent a little more than four hours in the woods. I highly recommend this trail, but I don't think I would have been as impressed if the trees were covered in leaves as the views made the experience stand out in my mind.

The trail was easily marked with white Diamonds. Conditions were great and the hike was that challenging at all. Definitely recommend hitting the trail early at first light or even before, so that you can get to the Swinging Bridge before anyone else does. That way you can enjoy the bridge and surrounding area. We took the access back out and passed a bunch of cars coming in.