Three Forks Loop via Appalachian and Benton Mackaye Trail

Three Forks Loop via Appalachian and Benton Mackaye Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ellijay, Georgia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike with limited views. Road in kinda sucked.

Great hike with great views. Trail was a little hard to see in places but well worth it!

We had a wonderful time! The drive to the trail head was adventurous...lots of potholes! We had a nine year old and an eighty two year old in our group so it took one hour and forty minutes up and a little over an hour down, we did not do the summit. Up we followed the white rectangle ( Appalachian Trail ) and on the way back followed the white diamond of the Benton Mackaye Trail. Only saw a few fellow hikers, it’s December after all!

Nice hike. Three Forks is not really marked. This hike you start up the AT to Springer Mtn. And after about 2.2 miles you switch and comeback on the Benton MacKay trail. You can continue on at the intersection of the AT/BM trails and go to Springer. It is about 1.9 miles from there so this adds 3.8 to the hike. Make sure drive in on DoubleGap. I went out the other way and my Honda Civic was not happy but we survived.

Great day hike area. Good for camping too.

Been thru here once before doing 20 mile section of BMT. Easter weekend, took a friend to do her 1st hike in 40 yrs. (we're both mid 60....ish). She was breaking in a new Deuter, I just daypacked. Drove her Corolla up there...lol.
Easy day, lots of people, gorgeous weather.
I did notice signs at this trailhead saying, "No camping behind signs". Does anyone know if that means you can no longer camp at the sites by the footbridge?

Monday, July 04, 2016

Awesome! Great for the kids!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Fun day hike. Nice stream to cool off in

Monday, June 01, 2015

Very crowded on the weekends but very enjoyable!

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

No one ever tells you that you have to take a one lane dirt road up the side of a mountain to get there haha it was definitely a surprise

Friday, July 11, 2014

My son and I hiked this trail from Springer Mountain to Three Forks. This is a nice trail and I thought it was relatively easy. The hike was enjoyable and the scenery was terrific. We crossed several streams, and the vegetation was thick and the weather was cool. We camped at Three Forks and it was terrific as we were the only ones spending the night there. This is a good trail and not very strenuous. I would also recommend hiking on to Long Creek Falls - very nice and the scenery and falls are beautiful. We hiked in Saturday morning, set up camp and hiked out Sunday morning. It was a terrific weekend.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

If you start at the parking at the vast of Springer Mountain, on the return trip after you've reached the other service road, don't take the BMT to return. It is uphill the entire way, and somewhat grown over due to little use. Stay on the AT.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Nice place to spend the afternoon

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

This was a great day trip trail. I highly recommend.

Monday, April 10, 2017