Tennessee Rock Trail

Tennessee Rock Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mountain City, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 561 feet Route Type: Loop

The yellow-blazed 2.2-mile Tennessee Rock Trail, winding its way through some of the highest and lushest forests, is the parks most popular hiking trail. Rated by experienced hikers as easy to moderate, the trail offers most visitors a perfect opportunity to get better acquainted with the areas rich woodlands and vistas, that on clear days span over 80 miles into the neighboring states of both North and South Carolina, as well as Tennessee.

Best marked trails I have found lately. This is a nice loop. Go left if you like going down hill, right if you like to climb. On the low side of moderate. Mostly just woods, but nice overlook near summit.

Great hike! Nice, moderate trail, beautiful under the tree canopy the whole time. Tennessee Rock view was worth the trek!

A must see when you’re in Clayton. 4-5 miles from downtown. An easy drive to get to the park. I got the most amazing pics from the 2.2 mile hike. I will go back for the longer hike. It’s five dollars to get in, but the best bet money of the trip

This was a little more strenuous than I expected and the view was not as great as I expected. I don't think the hike is worth it for the view. We had a six-year-old go and hike the whole way and three-year-old who needed to be carried a little. The view at the visitor center is better than this view.

This is a nice little trail with not a lot to it. There’s some elevation changes, but nothing to difficult. The best part of the trail is the Tennessee Rock Overlook.

Beautiful trail. Shaded, windy, perfect!

Despite the 90 degree temps in the sun - when your walking this trail you are totally embraced under the tree top canopy, forming cooler pockets of air.. going to try the Edmonds loop next time around.

Perfect day, perfect trail. First time at this state park. Love this trail. Lots of variation, from smooth flat to steep rocks and roots climbing. The view on top is worth it.

This is easily one of my favorite Georgia State Parks. This trail has a lot of climbing without being too strenuous. I went on a foggy day, but there were occasional breaks in the clouds for me to see some awesome views. There were some parts of the trail where your vision was obstructed from rocks and trees, so keep an eye out for wildlife. It was also very muddy, but well worth the wet feet.

recorded Tennessee Rock Trail

Great moderate hike in a beautiful forest. A little challenging near the summit but not so hard I wouldn't bring my 5yr with me. Trails are clearly marked and clean.

awesome views

Trail was in great shape, very well marked and had great lookout spots at the top of the trail. I would say this is a easy to moderate hike, I did the trail counterclockwise which seemed easier. Would do it again for sure!

What a beautiful hike this is. It was our first time to Black Rock Mountain State Park Tennessee Rock Trail. It will not be our last. This was a family friendly hike with My wife, my 4yo son and I. My wife and I are wannabe hikers, with no real experience other than light trails like Anna Ruby Falls. We dream of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, but know we will never have time to do so. My 4yo son is a typical kiddo with lots of energy, until he gets hungry. Haha! We did the trail counter-clockwise as other recommended here to avoid the steep incline at the start. That was nice for the first try, but I think we will also try it the other way for the experience. The views were amazing, and well worth the hike. I don't know if I would classify this as moderate, I think the stairs at Tallulah Gorge were a lot more deserving of that.

Great hike! Definitely got my heart rate going. Not far from home so a good day hike for me.

So happy I read the previous reviews I also began the trail counter clockwise! Beautiful views from the top!

The trail was kind of a challenge, still really fun and a good hike!

Went clockwise doing the initial incline first. Great views!

Good, short trail with a beautiful view at the top! Not too difficult, but don’t try it in tennis shoes.

A nice do-able but challenging trail run. Single track, footing can be tricky at times with lots of exposed roots. Beautiful trial

Loved it!

Absolutely breath taking hike! We did the trail counter-clockwise and we were glad, because it’s true that if you were to do it clockwise you’d hit a series of inclines straight up. Also, you’re saving the wonderful views from the overlook for the end of the hike if you go counter clockwise. There were still some areas of incline, but it wasn’t anything too crazy!

Short hike. Steep but doable. Shady and views are breathtaking.

Great short hike. We went early and didn’t see another person the entire time. Nice views.

One of my favorite short hikes. Beautiful wild flowers and grand views at the rock outcropping.

Nice trail. It was a little overgrown. We did the counter clockwise hike. It is pretty tough climb after the mile mark for a novice. The view don’t come until you get to the top. Then very pretty. Will try it against n in the week Neer for more views.

Not for beginners, but this was a beautiful hike. The view from the overlook was breathtaking. Really fun hike.

Beautiful trail. Moderately difficult. Excellent overlook. Near visitor center with its own overlook. Blend of valley brush and summit plants!

Friday, July 06, 2018

Hiked this trail on July 7th and the temp was cool and breezy. This one is best counter-clockwise. If you do it clockwise you’ll be hitting the steepest inclines right at the beginning of the trail. The summit and overlook is beautiful, with lots of photo ops. There are areas of this trail in the first mile that are fairly even for decent stretches of time and you can really take in the scenery. This is a great hike for an afternoon of fun!