Tennessee Rock Trail

Tennessee Rock Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mountain City, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The yellow-blazed 2.2-mile Tennessee Rock Trail, winding its way through some of the highest and lushest forests, is the parks most popular hiking trail. Rated by experienced hikers as easy to moderate, the trail offers most visitors a perfect opportunity to get better acquainted with the areas rich woodlands and vistas, that on clear days span over 80 miles into the neighboring states of both North and South Carolina, as well as Tennessee.

What a beautiful hike this is. It was our first time to Black Rock Mountain State Park Tennessee Rock Trail. It will not be our last. This was a family friendly hike with My wife, my 4yo son and I. My wife and I are wannabe hikers, with no real experience other than light trails like Anna Ruby Falls. We dream of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, but know we will never have time to do so. My 4yo son is a typical kiddo with lots of energy, until he gets hungry. Haha! We did the trail counter-clockwise as other recommended here to avoid the steep incline at the start. That was nice for the first try, but I think we will also try it the other way for the experience. The views were amazing, and well worth the hike. I don't know if I would classify this as moderate, I think the stairs at Tallulah Gorge were a lot more deserving of that.

Great hike! Definitely got my heart rate going. Not far from home so a good day hike for me.

So happy I read the previous reviews I also began the trail counter clockwise! Beautiful views from the top!

The trail was kind of a challenge, still really fun and a good hike!

Went clockwise doing the initial incline first. Great views!

Good, short trail with a beautiful view at the top! Not too difficult, but don’t try it in tennis shoes.

A nice do-able but challenging trail run. Single track, footing can be tricky at times with lots of exposed roots. Beautiful trial

Loved it!

Absolutely breath taking hike! We did the trail counter-clockwise and we were glad, because it’s true that if you were to do it clockwise you’d hit a series of inclines straight up. Also, you’re saving the wonderful views from the overlook for the end of the hike if you go counter clockwise. There were still some areas of incline, but it wasn’t anything too crazy!

Short hike. Steep but doable. Shady and views are breathtaking.

Great short hike. We went early and didn’t see another person the entire time. Nice views.

One of my favorite short hikes. Beautiful wild flowers and grand views at the rock outcropping.

Nice trail. It was a little overgrown. We did the counter clockwise hike. It is pretty tough climb after the mile mark for a novice. The view don’t come until you get to the top. Then very pretty. Will try it against n in the week Neer for more views.

Not for beginners, but this was a beautiful hike. The view from the overlook was breathtaking. Really fun hike.

Beautiful trail. Moderately difficult. Excellent overlook. Near visitor center with its own overlook. Blend of valley brush and summit plants!

Hiked this trail on July 7th and the temp was cool and breezy. This one is best counter-clockwise. If you do it clockwise you’ll be hitting the steepest inclines right at the beginning of the trail. The summit and overlook is beautiful, with lots of photo ops.
There are areas of this trail in the first mile that are fairly even for decent stretches of time and you can really take in the scenery.
This is a great hike for an afternoon of fun!

Fantastic views on a semi challenging hike. Going counter clockwise will take you 1.5 miles to get to the summit and then a few more overlooks of breathtaking beauty. Well worth your time and fun for all ages and pets. Highly recommend.

Lush with a lovely salamander sharing the day. Well maintained

Great hike. Definitely do this one counter clockwise. Good workout and views were stunning.

Great view! Nice afternoon hike!

Monday, January 01, 2018

Nice trail and clearly marked with a killer view.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Nice moderate trail with a rewarding observation point and walk along the ridge. Recommend rounding the loop counter clockwise to enjoy the overlook toward the end and go DOWN the steeper hill rather than up it!

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Nice easy trail with a couple of easy-mod sections. Nice ridge hike with lovely view at the top of a pretty valley and the mountains. Took us 1 hour 20 min hiking at a leisurely pace.

Sunday, November 05, 2017

The leaves had completely turned so that was a beautiful sight. There was a long uphill section that gave my mom some trouble but most of the trail was more on the “easy” side. The view at the top was great, despite some fog. I’d like to come back in the spring and see the wildflowers.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Counterclockwise is easy. Great view, not super rocky/rooty.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Great hike with nice views. The leaves are just beginning to bring color.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Beautiful day at the Black Rock State Park. Trees are beginning to change over, some noticeable reds and Orange along the Tennessee Trail.

Monday, July 03, 2017

I've done this hike many times over the years that I've visited the Clayton area. This is a great hike for families that don't hike much. Today we had a 6yo girl scamper up the 400' ascent without assistance. At other times, we've had an aunt in her 70s hike with us. Although it's rated as moderate, it's mostly easy and the two longer ascents are not that difficult.

We spent two hours hiking together today, a group of 11. That includes a few breaks during the 2nd, longer ascent, and lots of time posing for photos at the monument stone at the peak, and at the overlook.

The trail is in good shape, a little mud, and a couple of slippery places along the way. Most of us wore shorts (July 2), we had hiking poles or sticks (not necessary), and some wore sneakers. There is a new bridge over a very small stream.

We went right at the loop fork, as the ascent is less steep that way. By the time you're at the overlook, you're about 2/3rds done!

This won't be anyone's #1 favorite trail, but it's popular because it's easy, fun, has a nice overlook, short, and gives you enough of a work-out so you can say you were hiking, not walking, in the mountains.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Easy hike with a huge pay off at the summit. Will hike again, strongly recommend