Tallulah Gorge and North and South Rim Loop Trail

Tallulah Gorge and North and South Rim Loop Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lakemont, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

NOTE: dogs allowed on rim trails only

12 minutes ago

It was absolutely amazing and so beautiful!! Loved every second of the hike!!

Says dog friendly, but we drove an hour and a half to essentially be told we would have to carry him to the gorge floor. Don't be fooled, you can totally enjoy all the other loops; like we did! The gorge floor is permit only and NOT, NOT a real path. It is a foot path at a 45 incline up and down through the forest over roots and slippery rocks. It is a treacherous hike. The only path we couldn't go on way the "Hurricane Outlook" path because people had died there the day before. The stairs are a fun one, but if you get easily dizzied or don't like hieghts, I recommend you do NOT do it. I wish I would've known about the gorge floor thing before we had gotten there so I wouldn't have been disappointed.

We did the stairs and the bridge. We were going to do some trails but ended up helping some elderly people up the stairs and were exhausted by the time we finished carrying them up. Loved the views though

We did the rim trails and the stairs to the bottom of gorge. We missed getting a pass but without pass you still get to go down to bottom. The pass would be much cooler but the only difference is it allows you to get in water & climb on the rocks. All in all a cool experience. And yes a TON of stairs.

While beautiful, I feel like this was a glorified park and not a true hiking experience. I would definitely plan on getting there early to get a permit to go down into the gorge (only 100 per day) - be prepared for the water and a more strenuous trek if you get the chance to do this part of the park.

LOTS of people there the first week of July when we were there. Enjoyed all the overlooks and the suspension bridge.

So many stairs!!! The suspension bridge was awesome. The trails were very well maintained and we were greeted with a map and verbal directions.

If you don't want to test yourself by going up and down the steps, the Rim trails are easy to walk and show off the scope of the Gorge. But if you do want the workout, take the steps at an even pace and keep breathing! Looking across the Gorge from one Wallenda tower to the other gave me chills. Lots of crowds, so there's litter. Take in the theater and information posts when you are done sweating and need the break.

Like previous reviewers, I want to emphasize that this route is only the rim trail, and nothing beats getting one of the 100 per day passes they issue in the visitor center to hike for the gorge floor. That is where you will find a really fun rock scramble along the river, and where you find Sliding Rock, a giant, natural water slide. SO FUN! We arrived about 9:30 on a Tuesday morning one July and had no trouble getting a pass. The climb back up out of the gorge is also a fun challenge.

Beautiful hike! loved the cured if the waterfalls in the gorge. the suspension bridge was awesome. The stairs were intense coming up, but there are places to sit and drink water on the way up or down. I would do this again!

many awesome views but beware of stairs, many many stairs

We couldn’t get a floor pass when we got there at 10am but still enjoyed seeing the beautiful gorge. Next time we will be there when it opens! Those stairs though

took a day trip, beautiful scenery, the home on the North room trail is awesome, if you take the steps prepare yourself, 600 something steps doesn't sound like much but remember you have to go down then up, the view and the suspension bridge after well worth it! for a Monday in July it wasn't too crowded. My son is five and autistic and he had a blast!!

We hiked the north and south rim Trail's including the climb down to cross over the suspension bridge and also the quarter mile past the interpretive center towards inspiration point. We did a half this hike with a dog and the entire hike with an eight and 10-year-old children. It was a moderate to strenuous hike if you take into account the climb down to the suspension bridge and then back up in addition to the climb up to inspiration point. Overall covering all the ground you can't hike more than 3 to 3 1/2 miles. It is an awe inspiring hike with gorgeous views throughout. Highly recommend.

Great time hiking around with our 5 and 6 yr old kids!

Hike was great,gorgeous views all along the trail.

Absolutely beautiful. One of the best maintained set of trails. I almost felt like I was walking in a park instead of hiking through woods. But despite the lack of a "backcountry " feel, there are some spectacular views of the falls and gorge.

Great views, lots of stairs. Wouldn’t recommend for dogs or little kids. Bridge is cool.

those stairs though

The view today of the water fall was amazing as it is falling at the highest rate it has. It was worth the hikes and stairs

awesome hike

just a basic stair hike nice view but very comercial all about money

Awesome views. Well marked. No pets down, across, and up the gorge.

A lot of stairs but enjoyed and love how my legs felt after good work out for them! Would not take my dog to this! The stairs are not paw friendly and the also say they are not aloud of the floor of the gorge!

I love this trail. If you plan on hiking the gorge floor to sliding rock, get there early as they only give out 100 permits a day.

Great views and area, but was disappointed with how short the trail around the gorge was. The only difficulty was coming back up the numerous steps. Local farm to table restaurants in Clayton made up for the lack of challenge.

Beautiful scenery but take note: this trail on the app is not talking about the gorge floor. Hiking the loop across the suspension bridge is a lot of steps but nothing is better (but more difficult) here than the gorge floor leading up Sliding Rock Trail. Took my husband and I about 3.5 hours to hike (and climb and wade in freezing water) from the Jane Hurt Yarn Interpretive Center then down to the suspension bridge then further down to the gorge floor (no pets allowed on the gorge floor) then across the rocks and along the rocks all the way to Bridal Veil Falls. The real challenge is the 45 degree angle climb up Sliding Rock Trail for about .25 miles and then up to the South Rim trail and across the bridge and North Rim Trail back to the center. Difficult but so worth it! Permit is required to go down to the gorge floor (only 100 given out each day).

Beautiful scenery from both sides. Quite the workout if you decide to hike the trails from one side to the other. Take the stairs all the way down to the bridge, cross it, then come back up the stairs on the other side. It was abt 11,000 steps trail and steps.

It was a nice trail with views and the suspension bridge was fun. Besides the stairs down to the bridge and up the other side, it was a very easy trail. Good views and a nice family loop trail. I took my 3 nieces ages 7,10, and 11. They hiked to loop with no problems. I would hike it again.

Beautiful trail with some fun rock hopping. The trail goes pretty vertical on the south side of the gorge. Gorge floor permit is a MUST, as the floor was my favorite part of the hike.