Tallulah Gorge and North and South Rim Loop Trail

Tallulah Gorge and North and South Rim Loop Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lakemont, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

9 minutes ago

All I think about with this trail is the hundreds of steps but more so the awesome swinging bridge. The view was gorgeous from here and well worth it.

Trail begins and ends at the State Park interpretive center. Lots of stairs. Lots of people if not early in the day. Gorge permit required for the floor. None issued when we were there due to rain.

Views are wonderful.

Ranked it as a 3 for a hike. It's more of a tourist attraction than hike. Worth seeing though.

A total of 2.6 miles is possible not including the floor.

If you want to get a permit to go out into the gorge and you're going during the high season (seems to be April - September) on a weekend, you'll have to get there as soon as they open - I believe 7:30. We weren't trying to get permits, but we heard some folks get turned down. The ranger said there was a line of more than 100 people when they opened the doors (on a Saturday in early August).

Much of the trail was either paved or very well worn. Lots of hikers. It's true that the hike was easy, unless you take the stairs down into the gorge (I believe this is the "Hurricane Falls Trail"). 1099 stairs is not easy in my book! You can go down there without a permit, you just have to stay on the platform. Nice views from the overlooks and from the gorge floor. We used this as a pre-hike before we hiked out 5 miles to the backcountry campsite on the Stoneplace Trail, and we were pretty tired by the time we got there.

Breath taking views.

Those stairs kicked my butt! I was disappointed that you have to have a permit to get to the swimming area. We arrived at the park around 12:30 and they had already given out all 100 permits for the day. We passed a lot of swimmers coming out of the gorge and when we got to the bottom there was not a soul around. I'm not sure how strictly they enforce the permit rule, but If you want to swim then I would suggest getting there right at 8 a.m. to get your pass. The park was a bit crowded but that's expected for a weekend. I'll go in the middle of the week next time.