Sweetwater Creek Red Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(532)
Sweetwater Creek State Park

Sweetwater Creek Red Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lithia Springs, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and horses and is best used from September until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 111 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Providence Canyon State Park is located just west of Atlanta, GA off I-20. Take I-20 west from Atlanta to exit #44 at Thornton Road and turn left and drive 1/4 mile. Turn right on Blairs Bridge Road then go two miles and turn left on Mount Vernon Road.

Great hiking trail. It must be snake season because we encountered 6 snakes during our hike. I must tell you that you go through a lot of dense forest area but all around it was nice.

I did the red to white trail and it was beautiful! Especially loved the windy little paths, the rock scrambles, and the waterfall - less enamored of the section with the gravel path, but overall well worth the trip. The red section generally draws more humans (and dogs) - so enjoyed the balance where the white trail was a lot calmer. I'll bring my Chacos next time for a little water wading!

This is the longest trail I ever had,very enjoyed!

Beautiful trail and history on this trail. Just a warning though, once you pass the ruins, get to where the white/red fork, follow red to left, you will be walking on rocks walking along the creek passing ruins on opposite side. Though it is very beautiful, but if you struggle with climbing rocks or have young kids be very cautious. My family of six hike this with not many issues at all, we just had to be very cautious with our 3 & 4 year old along the rocks.

fee

Hiked Sweet Creek for the first time today and I loved it! I did the red trail to the white trail and it was absolutely beautiful. One of the best hikes I’ve been on so far. This is a very nice area for all types of hikers. There are easy trails for children/families, trails that lead to a nice water area, and difficult trails for experienced hikers. I’m definitely going back!

Great trail. I hike it all the time I want to do something easy with my kids. Nice view of the river for nearly the entire trek, which my girls love to dip their feet in. Be careful of snakes—both venomous and not. It was pretty packed this weekend—even during COVID. Bring a mask because too many people didn’t have or wear one.

This is the first time I have tried hiking at Sweetwater. Probably my least favorite but only because it's heavily trafficked and I prefer things a little more out of the way. Hard to "get away" at Sweetwater because there are tons of people. Lots of litter as well.

It is a rocky trail but so worth the trip to the rapids! I love Sweetwater Creek. Anyone know what time the park filled to capacity last weekend (COVID) and closed??

This a great scenic trail right outside of Atlanta for those looking to escape the city for the day. This trails offer scenic views of Sweetwater Creek the full length of the trail. Plenty of spots to post up on a rock or hang a hammock and enjoy the sounds of the rapids. The trail is also dog friendly which is a + for me. Highly recommend this trail as a short day hike that you can do as quickly or as slowly as you wish. Happy trails

Great little short day hike but I got off the white trail somehow and wound up on the red trail which has a section of root and rock scrambles I was not prepared for a few months post stroke, but still a goos day.

fee

One of my favorite local hikes. The red trail has the best views along the river, but it’s not good for jogging. It gets quite rocky and you’ll need to pay attention. The white trail is a tad easier though

Instead of out-and-back, you can combine the easiest section of the Red Trail (from trail heads as far as the mill ruins) with a hilly 1.1 mile section of the White Trail to make a loop. Dog-friendly!

Great short challenging trail. You could easily get hurt if you don't pay attention. Best views of the park are on this site.

fee

This is a fabulous scenic trail. However when it says that it gets moderate to difficult it is. When you go right by the water it's very rocky it's very full of roots and you have to be very careful. But what an amazing view. This is one of my favorite State Parks!! I higohly recommend Sweetwater Creek State Park.

fee

Did the red trail today, was great with my four year old. Some areas started to get difficult for him but there are signs right before the area which was perfect. 5 dollar parking fee.

A very easy trail before the mill ruin, after that everything gets rocky.

The white trail is good for a nice stroll or jog. The red trail is definitely more challenging but more scenic as it runs right along the river. Nice trails and neat history with the factory ruins.

As a Florida guy, this trail was an amazing first. Like the review before me, we also started out on the Red Trail and took the White Trail to the trailhead. The Red Trail can get pretty difficult in some spots. With the leaves on the ground, it will get slippery. It’s a good idea to start out on red and finish on white to get the hard stuff out the way.

This hike completely suprised me! Had no idea this place was here and how beautiful the hike along the creek would be. Seeing the old mill structure was cool, but once you got passed it the trail became really interesting. I had young kids with me and that part required some serious attention, but they were all able to do it with holding hands and sitting down for certain parts. We actually took the parrallel part of the white trail back which takes you away from the creek and up in elevation, but its a nice way to make this trail a loop.

Probably one of the best state parks in the Western Atlanta area. Beautiful waterfront trail access and trails are marked better than most other parks.

by far my top favorite hiking trail i have seen and done! absoutely stunning beautiful scenery. the rapids and waterfalls with the ruins are just down right breathtaking. trail is bit easy there are stairs. i didnt find the trail to be moderate diffculty. this is a MUST SEE PARK!

Beautiful view of the rapids and takes you past the old mill by the creek.