Learn more

Stone Mountain Walk-Up Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(962)
Stone Mountain Park

Stone Mountain Walk-Up Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Stone Mountain, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 567 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

This is one of the most popular hikes in the Atlanta area. The hike is good for all ages. There is ample parking at the base of Stone Mountain. The hike is entirely on smooth granite rock. Although there is a route defined, the "trail" can be very wide, with stands of trees dotting the rock face. There is also a gondola that takes visitors to the top for a small fee.

The climb is so worth it I wished I lived closer I would do this often! the last little part up to the summit was very steep I lost my breath a few times, however locals RUN up and down this I amazed! can't wait to return

one of my favorite trails when I come to visit my family.

A nice trail to walk.

The beginning part of this hike is moderate however at the end it can be strenuous. The last part of the walk up to the top is very steep and the rock can be slippery with some shoes. It was also very crowded. Everyone should walk up to the top at least once, great views!

Incredible views, crowded, if you don't stop then it's a great workout. As some have stated this can be a bit technical for the last part and can be strenuous. I would rate this section beyond moderate. Very little shade. A must hike at least once.

Took 3 girls aged 16, 11 and 9 and 2 boys aged 15 and 10 and once the bellyaching stopped from the younger kids it was a nice time. There are a lot of people from all age groups doing this and it can take away from the beauty of it if it’s too crowded. Everyone should do it once for the amazing views of the area and to say they climbed a mountain lol. The youngest kid had a tough time and complained a lot but was able to make it up and then didn’t want to go down Careful on the descent one of the kids took a nasty spill and scraped up her knee but was in good spirits the whole time!

It is very crowded and reminds me of a nature version of six flags. It is an Atlanta staple but once is enough.

Great hike to see the sunrise. Started in darkness at 5:35, but there were already a number of cars in the lot. We were able to turn off our headlamps about 10 minutes in. It’s a short hike with a big payoff. We had the views, the breeze, and the incredible sunrise on this clear morning. There were maybe 35-40 other people on top for the sunrise. However, I was stunned by how many people we passed walking down before 7:00. The parking lot looked completely full when we got back. I recommend the hike, but it’s 5 stars if you go early to beat the crowds, the heat, and take in the sunrise.

Absolutely wonderful and beautiful!

good trail to start off , steep slope towards the top , else it's a good place to start hiking !

Great views at the top of this! A little steep and not dog friendly. They have signs posted everywhere that no animals are allowed. Also very busy! But worth the view.

Steep in places. For a moderate hiker, I was more out of breath than I thought I’d be - this felt steeper than the stats would suggest. The view is a nice payoff

fee

$20 entry fee into the park. Great view. If you have ever imagined how walking straight up the side of a mountain would feel, oh this hike is for you. Very crowded, even at 8am. I combined this trail with the Cherokee Loop trail for a good 6+ mile hike.

So many people

Awesome workout!

Beautiful place! The views are spectacular. You can see ATL, Buckhead, Sandy Springs and lush greenery. This is a challenging hike for beginners. One of my faves because it is close to home. There are options of going around or up the mountain.

Pretty cool trail ! Nice little workout. It’s very busy and definitely not dog friendly )-:

Enjoyed the hike up the mountain. It was a pretty serious hike up toward the end of the ascent for an out of shape guy like me, but it was worth it. Great views of the park below and Atlanta off in the distance.

Fun trail, the last 1/3 going up of it gets kind of difficult but it’s a short trek.

A favorite hike for me due to the views and the unique foot path (all stone). Very straightforward path with painted guide markers. Highly popular with park visitors having the option to walk or ride the tram to the top. Expect some crowding during Spring and Summer. The sunrise and sunsets are just beautiful here and on clear days the views of Atlanta and Buckhead are awesome. Watch your footing since sand on rock and wet rock is slippery!

icy

Heavily traveled. We had a great time. COLD!

Nice little hike with great views. It was a light workout, especially towards the top, but not difficult. I appreciated the hand rails because it is a little slippery. I wouldn’t go after a lot of rain. I saw a grown man slip and fall even on a dry day. The etiquette of others on the trail was a little frustrating (loud bickering with partner, attempted “parkour”, music with no headphones, etc).

Nice trail straight up!

Great little hike! Some spots are pretty steep near the top, but a good family hike!

fee