Stone Mountain Cherokee Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(794)
Stone Mountain Park

Stone Mountain Cherokee Loop Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stone Mountain, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 400 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Please note that there are no bicycles allowed on this trail.

extremely peaceful tranquil backwoods type trail. was bit muddy visiting but that didnt slow us down. also cool thing at the beginning by the playground overflow parking about 0.25miles in is a small lake. and further in is a chimney what use to be a school. took myself and the dog about hour and half to do this trail. nice view of the carving on the mountain.. highly recommend

fee

I hiked this trail few times before with AOC groups. This time I did it with my family, I had to be the guide. We started from Confederate Hall parking lot, I forgot how to get to the Cherokee trail, so I followed Robert E Lee Blvd on south side, until about 1.5 miles away Cherokee trail cuts across the road on right side to between Howell Lake and Venable Lake. The trail is pretty scenic, the lake view and view of Stone Mountain on left side, until switching to Stone mountain lake on right side, try to find lucky 7 heart figures on a section paved by stones, following the trail to the popular Stone mountain Grist Mill, cross REL to foot of Stone Mtn, it's pretty much straightforward, follow the white mark, you probably can see few deers in the woods, so far no challenges, after walking under General Lee's giant statue, there were some uphills on the rocks, it will cut through regular Walk Up trail, then go lots of downhills till to the end.

Great alternative to the climb! This trail goes around the base and get up close with the carving, also goes through an area with a little mill and nice area to sit and have a snack. After that the trail becomes some root-y areas and (obviously) stone-y areas. The uncarved side of the mountain is especially impressive from across the lake on the back half of the hike. Fair warning: $20 parking fee

bicycles are NOT allowed on trails. can you bike the roads? sure but, this should not be tagged for mountain biking.

Two things to clear up. First, AllTrails claims no dogs are allowed on the Cherokee Trail. The are allowed as long as you stick to this trail and follow the white hash marks. Second, many of the comments below are clearly not about the Cherokee Trail, but perhaps one of the other trails at Stone Mountain. Cherokee Trail is not a paved trail. It is dirt, rocks, roots, granite, with an occasional sidewalk or road crossing . It is a great trail with some challenging spots so you have to watch your step. Lots of nature and good scenery. We did the entire loop in 1.75 hours with two 70 lb. dogs.

Love the climb and OMG that sheer satisfaction when you reach the very top... beautiful, powerful, majestic and proud... when you look at the endless forest at the bottom of the mountain you get the impression that the mountain doesn’t belong there - this Huge Hard Rock surrounded by Gentle Greenery of Georgia Trees - surreal

Fun trail with great views and nature. I took the incline first, to get it out of the way, and I’m happy I did. It has some tricky areas with roots and rocks, but it’s very doable. Got it done in a little less than 2 hours. The distance and time was a personal best for me...so I feel good about that. I’ll also be feeling it in the morning!

Took the family out for a hike. Very nice trail we had a great time until the end when we had to walk up the rocks and then there was a bunch of complaining by them LOL. Took us about two hours and 15 minutes.

Always a great trail at Stone Mountain

Fun.

Cool trail with some nice views. Family friendly.

I really liked this trail, I recommend starting right from the trailhead. There are some parts at 1st that are at an incline but it’s not too hard. I hiked this trail on a sunny day after it’s been raining in Atlanta every day the the last 2 months and it still wasn’t too muddy. Also did this loop with my 2 English bulldogs & they made it just fine.

A really pleasant walk. Generally very well paved, and not difficult at all, until the last 1.5 miles. At that point you’re scrambling on granite and a bit of elevation.

Great and well marked trail. If it is raining I wouldn’t recommend it. There was some water on the rocks and it was slippery AF. At trail head I would recommend going right to get the incline out of the way in the beginning. As the morning progressed the trail got busier.

Cherokee is a great hike. The first 1/4 mile was somewhat tricky after all the rain we've had this week....wet granite is slippery granite! After that the trail is hard dirt (with some mucky spots). Trail is well marked and plenty of parking. We did the Walk-up trail too and it was pretty crowded, but on Cherokee we only passed a handful of folks. Awesome trail!

private property

Nice paved trail around stone Mountain. Rosa & Danny

Nice trail but to see people smoking on trails? A parent even smoking on playground Non smoking signs should go somewhere before we lose this beauty For this it gets a 2 rating

I typically don’t enjoy lots of company on the trail but this trail is amazing. We did this loop plus the Stone Mountain Walk Up Trail. We totaled around 8.5 miles with all of the “extra” exploring we did. We started at the snow tubing area and went right on the Cherokee Trail (white flame) to the ascend to the top of the mountain (yellow flames). After that, we descended and continued on the Cherokee Trail. In this immediate area be careful! Watch your footing! You are on slippery, rocky, diagonal rocks for about a quarter of a mile. Take you time!! I would NOT recommend this section in freezing temps. Instead, walk the railroad tracks until you are clear of the rock then pick the trail up again. This is all pretty obvious on trail. Once past the sketchy rock area, the rest of the trail is super easy and was absolutely beautiful. Something new and interesting around every corner. A long beautiful lake walk as well. I would highly recommend this trail in the spring. Wear good, NON-SLIP shoes! Hiking poles wouldn’t be a bad idea in particular sections however you wouldn’t need them the whole time. If your have a Sawyer you will have plenty of opportunities to refill your water in lieu of carrying a few heavy liters. We did this trail in January and the temperature high was the low 50s. We wore layers, head protection and used lots of chapstick. Your shoes will get muddy. The trail is ridiculously well marked. Thanks for that Stone Mountain. We met lots of people on the trail but not enough to feel like you didn’t have nice moments alone. Lots of dogs too!!

Great trail, mostly well marked and maintained. Great views of the lake and mountain. Much less crowded than the walk-up trail. I find the portions of the trail that are on the mountain to be somewhat difficult because there is a steep incline or decline on granite. So, I start the trail at the bottom of the walk-up trail using the connecting trail and finish it with a combination of the nature trail and connecting trail. Even with this modification I would not consider this an easy hike due to the length and some tricky areas.

fee

Hiked the ENTIRE loop with my two cattle dog mixes. I emphasized *entire* loop because this trail is a far cry from “easy.” I can see how parts of it are easy, but the part going over the mountain was a death trap in places. It was a literal 40 degree slope of smooth granite you’re trekking over, and in some places I noticed there is nothing to stop you from rolling to your death if you lose your footing lol. I don’t mean to sound dramatic, I was just really surprised at the level of difficulty for about 20% of the trail. With all the stops for the dogs to sniff and pee, plus a couple times we got off-trail by accident (it’s got lousy marking in some places, handy to have a downloaded copy of the map) it took us around 3 hours to do the 5 miles. Whoever did the whole thing in 100 minutes, high five bc that would have been quite the haul. Otherwise I did really enjoy the variety of scenery and it’s a pretty trail. Tip: consider footwear carefully. I wore my trail running shoes, more flexible than my hiking boots and I think that was a good choice bc they could flex around the rocks and were good no slip for the steep parts, and I feel like the stiffer hiking boots would have felt less sure footed.