Springer Mountain and Ball Mountain via Appalachian Trail

Springer Mountain and Ball Mountain via Appalachian Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ellijay, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,932 feet Route Type: Loop

This loop is made up of portions of both the Benton MacKaye Trail and the Appalachian Trail, with a visit to the summit of Springer Mountain.

Amicalola Falls to Lake Winfield Scott at Jarrard Gap

Lush vegetation and dense trees views limited but the hike is grand.

recorded Recording - May 18, 06:24 PM

Very rocky, a lot of tough uphills and rewarding downhill stretches. Two beautiful overlooks. For a beginner and someone who is not in the best of shape, this is not easy.

Nice trail for a long day hike, but plenty of campsites to break into two short days. The road getting up there is a bit sketchy, so be careful if it’s been raining a lot. The AT portion up to Springer Summit is the steepest part of the trail but the Benton loop isn’t bad; a couple small creek crossings. Be sure to check out Owens Overlook while on Benton McKaye! Much better view than Springer Summit in my opinion (although both are nice). Most people you will pass while on the AT. Benton trail is much more lightly trafficked. Very solid trail and not far if you’re coming from Atlanta!

this trail was really nice. the trail itself was pretty easy except for the second half of the loop which was moderate. but one half of the loop had a buetiful view and the other half was like a jungle and really nice. the only thing to be aware of is that you need a Jeep to drive up to the start of the hike. we had to park 3.5 miles from the start which was the only challenging part to the hike but was tiring on our way back. there were other parking lots that seemed easier to get to so I dont know why the directions were to this one.

It was awesome

Great trail for a day hike. My friends and I went in February and at the summit it was around 25 degrees and everything was frozen. It was very cold but also very quiet and peaceful at the summit. We also took this trip to do a little off roading. If you drive in from the Dahlonega side of the forest service road it is pretty easy and you can make it in 2WD. We went down the mountain the other way towards Elajay and it was pretty rough, fun if you have a 4x4 like me but I would not recommend in anything else that doesn’t have high clearance.

Great time with my brother! The driving path was closed about a half mile from the start of the hike so we parked at the sign and hiked, finding downed trees and giant puddles in the driving path so definitely heed the warning if you see the sign. There was a small brook where we could fill our bottles too. It was an awesome experience and would definitely recommend. Here’s a video of our trip. https://youtu.be/pLdjsKbhPnc

Love the AT!

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Good for.dogs

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

great views

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

I really enjoyed the trail. The road up to the trail is a little bit rough but well worth the drive. Rained most of the day but the hike was excellent anyway.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Monday, January 22, 2018

it's okay in the winter

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Just finished this earlier today. It’s easy to moderate, the rocks can be a bit slippery when wet though. The Benton MacKaye Trail portion is much better than the AT portion, with different types of forest, a nice overloook that I think has better view than at the Springer summit, and several creek crossings. The AT portion is busy on weekends but you’ll be all alone on the BMT

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

We completed this trail on October 29 during the first snowfall of the season. Some ascend and descend present a good work out and not difficult to handle. A large portion of the trail is covered in large rocks and tree roots so hiking boots are preferred for safety. It also included few crossings of the creek without any bridges, so its a good idea to wear a pair of waterproof hiking boots. Awesome chance to see the South Terminus of AT. Trail is easy to follow and lightly trafficked. We only had somewhat of a hard time to find continuation of the trail past the parking lot but found some AT markers on the trees maybe 100 feet in. It also offers camping spots, bear proof food storage container, few water sources and a shelter. Great views from Springer Mountain summit. Trail is dog friendly. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Enjoyed the moderate hike up to the summit. Good views, but great conversation with hikers beginning their trek to Maine. Very inspiring...although afterwards we ended up at the Blue Ridge Brewary nearby :)

Monday, July 17, 2017

Views only from the top of Springer. This would be a much better winter hike.

Monday, April 10, 2017

We did this trail on a windy day in March and froze on the exposed ridges. Really regretted leaving my outer jacket in the car (it was much warmer in the parking lot). But it was a good hike with lots of views. Liked stopping at the AT shelter for a snack. Nimblewill Gap was our destination, but it's not particularly scenic - just an accomplishment to get there.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Good hike, and an even better drive up there. It was a 7ish mile drive on a dirt road filled with switch backs. I would recommend a car that can handle gravel. Probably not electric, you might not make it (that's just my guess though). Make sure to hike the Benton McKaye (or whatever the spelling is) trail because the other one is the AT.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

At this trail head it's very difficult to get to, no cars or small trucks... I drive a 2wd F150 and had a hard time on the service road. Trail is well marked but very rocky, difficult to look around as almost constantly looking for trail hazards. Many people on trail but all very friendly. Numerous water sources. I Imogene the view of the mountains is poor when tread have leaves. Other than that a great day on the trail!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Awesome day hike, no foliage yet but the views were plentiful. Rocky terrain, but well marked, no real parking area at Nimblewill Gap.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

enjoyed! stayed the night

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Great loop trail starting at the Appalachian Trail access parking lot up to Springer mountain to the Southern terminus of the AT then along the AT and back via the Benton MacKaye Trail. Don't miss the scenic view of the mountains along the BMT.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

good loop don't miss the turn getting back on the AT

Thursday, March 17, 2016

great little loop trail! as someone said before, pay attention or you could get turned around. I had to check my GPS for my mileage count a couple times to make sure I didn't miss anything. BMT was beautiful! highly recommend and would do it again

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

It was a great little loop but pay close attention or you may get turned around and miss a turn.