Sope Creek Loop from Paper Mill Road

Sope Creek Loop from Paper Mill Road is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Marietta, Georgia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

$3 Parking Fee

The paper mill ruins are worth the trip. It is amazing to think the stacked stone walls were built over 160 years ago.

Fave for sure! Parking can be tight on the weekends but well worth it. Dog friendly, tons of little path directions.

One of my favorite!!

one of my favorite hikes in atlanta. so many trails so you never do the same hike twice. the creek is pretty and good for dogs. parking is limited.

Great ride. It’s a good work out

Options for bilking/hiking and hiking only. Limited parking.

I love spending time in the creek. It’s really close to my house, and I come here to get away. It’s usually fairly quiet especially if you walk far enough down the creek. Perfect for what it is, a little tucked away spot in the woods in a populated area.

Really enjoyed this loop. Well-marked the whole way around and it's got just enough elevation changes to feel like you did something. Will be returning!

Be prepared for a $5 cash fee at the parking lot, unless you have a National Park pass. Excellent trail for families. The maps at the park do not denote the location of the paper mill ruins-look for marker 26. Many hills, roots, large rocks. You can cook off in the creek.

Pretty quiet. Good run. Steady mild ups or downs. Finished next to a nice small lake. Drinking fountain in parking lot. No restrooms. Good wildlife sounds.

Love this Trail. It is a little piece of heaven in the middle of suburbia!

love this trail! great boulders in the river for relaxing, and a decent workout too. the ruins are cool.

Out of 4 to 5 trails I've biked on, this is probably the shortest in distance. However, I'd consider this trail more "workout" than fun (...nothing wrong with that). Lots of steep elevations and narrow paths. Not as many bikers on the trail as anticipated but way more hikers. The hikers were mindful and respectful of the biker's traffic. Not a whole lot to see on the 2 mile bike loop but as mentioned, you will get a good workout. I went on a Saturday and curious if I will feel the same on a Sunday biking in the opposite direction.
I am definitely adding this trail to my favorites.

Nice network of trails with varying grades and windy-ness. Love running around and taking a dip in the creek with the cool, old ruins there. We saw a fantasy costume photoshoot taking place in the natural river scenery, and a group taking their yoga walk. People have fun mountain biking— look out for them. The pond is a lovely setting for gazing, with a dock for lounging or other friendly activities.

While hiking here, someone busted out my car window. Upon discussing with friends, it turns out another friend had a window busted out here a couple of weeks ago, and another had her car keyed. Will not be back. Seems to be a hotspot for criminal activity.

I love this trail. scramble across the huge rocks along the side of the creek.. I never finished the loop. would just go to the end of creek where it turns into private property then turn around. I'm not sure if I was using the actual trail at points. it may go up further on the hill at spots but I just stayed next to the water and climbed across the rocks. the ruins at the start of the trail are really cool as well. there are ruins that follow the creek too! civil war era hydroelectric paper mill from what I remember .. it's a 5star for the nearby area... obviously doesn't compare to some North Georgia trails lol

2nd time I've been, and this time I learned that Sope Creek Trail connects to Cochran Shoals Trail, and when they switch over there are separate maps on the trail. Both maps look very similar so you need to make sure you know which one you are on.
We walked an extra 3 miles going to the wrong parking lot.
I was still a great hike, but it's a good thing we weren't in a rush to get out.

One of my favorite trails in the Atlanta area. On the easier side of moderate, but a great workout nonetheless. Wide paths, nicely shaded, and dog friendly.

This is an easy, well shaded trail with decent signage and lots of options to explore. The mill ruins by the creek are definitely worth seeing! Very pretty for an in-town hike, but there’s a good bit of noise from nearby roads. On the plus side, it was not as crowded as expected for a beautiful Friday in the springtime.

very kid friendly. nice for pets too. Unfortunately the signs aren't very informative.

first time doing a MTB trail and it kicked my ass.. might stick to sidewalks for now

It says moderate but I would say more on the easy side. Trails well defined and lots of different loops you can create within the park. Great experience and very kid/dog friendly

Great trail! Low traffic, friendly hikers and bikers. Very dog-friendly. I only wish the trail was marked better - we did a little unintended off-roading. Great stick selection.

I love running here. Plenty of ups and downs and twists and turns to keep it engaging!! Beautiful Woods and river!

Easy and the perfect spot to relax

There are quite a few good hammock spots looking over the creek..

Saturday, December 02, 2017

This is a good trail... for urban Atlanta. If you’re used to hiking in the Southwest, you’re probably going to find this disappointing. The forest and lake views are nice. The trail is poorly marked and easy to get lost. I’d suggest downloading the trail map. If you’re training for a Spartan Race or Tough Mudder in the Southeast this is a good trail to run and practice on.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Great outdoors. Seems like a small challenge but it’s not.

Sunday, November 12, 2017