Sitton's Gulch Trail

Sitton's Gulch Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Trenton, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of the most beautiful waterfalls in the state, in my opinion.

Don’t mind the signs, jump the fence and take a dip at your peril, the water is great! ;)

One of my favorite trials. Must be visited at least once each season.

Worthwhile trip to see the falls. Great workout. Thankfully dogs are welcome on the hike.

Beautiful scenery. Completed this one yesterday. We started at the outlook, went down the many stairs and onto Sittons Glutch trail. Being a bit overweight a lot outta shape this one was tough for me (and those stairs killed my legs). Can hardly walk today but it was pretty and the views off the mountain were amazing. We drove about 3 hrs to get there so I'm sure that didn't help the legs. Coming back from the trail there are 610 steps with landings/benches to rest. Good one to try at least once.

Great trail but I would definitely mark this more difficult than moderate. Saw two little snakes but my pup wasn’t phased but them. Lots of people going to the falls but not too many on the long trail.

This has to be my new favorite place to hike in North Georgia. I started at the Interpretive center inside Cloudland Canyon State Park. From there signs will direct you to the trailhead. It's all downhill in the beginning, stairs and walkways guide you to the split. Hemlock Falls will be to your left and Sitton's Gulch to the right. You should take the 10-15 min walk to Hemlock falls, they are pretty awesome. After Hemlock falls you encounter a few more stairs. After that smooth sailing. The trail is well maintained and runs along the creek for most of the way. There are several waterfalls as you hike to the end of the trail, giving you many opportunities to take picture. Definitely take a camera.

Frequently do this trail with dogs and children. Beautiful, different scene with every hike.

You can stop at the waterfall or keep going up Lookout Mountain. The creek runs adjacent to most of the trail, and is deep enough for swimming in some areas if there is a heavy rain.

this is one of my favorite trails. such a nice hike. there are a few short steep hills but all in all this hike is pretty easy. I prefer it to those grueling stairs coming from the top of the canyon.

I hiked all the trails on Saturday in Cloudland with the exception of Bear Creek Backcountry Trail because it was closed. If you are looking to have a good 15 mile day this would be a good park to hike. All the trails are well maintained and easy trekking. The most strenuous place in these trails are the stairs that exist to access/exit Sitton’s Gulch Trail - about 600 or so. This was my first time at this park, and I was blown away at the beauty of the canyon and the falls. Aside from the stairs these trails are not hard, but offer a good day of beauty and exercise. I would suggest the following “loop”: Park at the Trenton trailhead for Sitton’s Gulch Trail and begin hiking. This trail is 2 miles one way; make your way up the stairs (congratulations you just made it through the most strenuous part of the whole day). Keep going up to Overlook Trail which is up and beyond the Waterfall trails which I would save for last just because who eats dessert prior to the meal? Hike the Overlook Trail all the way back and up to the Two Mile Backcountry Loop. When you get to the actual loop which is about 2 miles or so after you reach the start of Overlook Trail, then, I suggest taking the left road and loop back around to save best for last; after loop make your way back through Overlook Trail and down to hike West Rim Loop which is 6 miles - take the left road for woods and the loop will bring you back around for canyon views and much needed breeze to cool you down. Head back down and see Cherokee and Hemlock Falls and make your way back out to the trailhead at Sitton’s Gulch. Wonderful day!

I found this trail to be easy going down and hiking along the paths at the bottoms of the canyon. Coming up provided a first class workout as you climb up 600 stairs. But the beautiful views, the scenic river, the gorgeous waterfalls made it all worthwhile. The sights and sounds were amazing and beyond what I was hoping to find there. Loved it and will be taking friends back to visit this trail again.

We added this hike to our days mileage after hiking down the 600 stairs to Hemlock Falls from Cloudland Canyon State Park. We hiked about half way on this trail to grab a few geocaches that were hidden along the way. We took many pictures and were in awe of the many incredibly beautiful views of the creeks, the waterfalls and the canyon walls. We definetly got a great lung burning, butt burning workout on the return. ♡♡♡

wonderful cold weather hike. snow and ice galore

Sutton’s Gulch is a hidden gem in Cloudland Canyon. Begins in a Trenton neighborhood and finishes as Hemlock Falls in the middle of the park. Our family favorite

I hiked this with my 30-something daughter today. Do the math. If I can do it, you can do it. Just a few side notes. We stayed at a yurt. The yurts are charming and back up to the Rim Trail. BUT, despite a space heater, you will not be warm once it goes down to about 30 degrees. We brought 15 degree bags. It is easier to heat up a tent with body heat than a yurt. I have tent camped here in January and was warmer in a tent than in a yurt. Also, the wood that the park sold us was green. Seriously, it will not burn. It will char and smoke. Forage for your own downed wood. Now to the trail.

Do the Waterfalls Trail. It is short but has a couple of seriously slippery spots. Don't do this in tennis shoes. Just get yourself some hiking boots. This trail is short. Next do Sitton's Gulch.

After the 600 metal-grated and stone steps, you have about a half hour of rolling trail- constant ups and downs with little flat. It is easy-peasy going downhill. After a half hour, you hit very easy flat land. It ends at a parking lot with two buildings. Don't get excited. These aren't bathrooms, just changing rooms.

Turn around and go back about 2.5 miles. Yes, it is fairly strenuous going back up hill, but there are plenty of places to stop and catch your breath. After about 30 minutes, you hit a small water crossing where you can pick your way across rocks even when the water is flowing. 10 minutes later, you are at the metal and stone stairs. It is arduous, but even I made it back to the trailhead in about 15 minutes.

Bottom Line: Very well marked and maintained trails. Beautiful waterfalls and overlooks.

Note: The Bear Creek Backcountry Trail is closed until the park settles some contract issues with private landowners.

Food alert: I have always stopped at fast food places post hike, but discovered a much better place to eat, the Artzy Café. It is minutes outside of the park. Great food and atmosphere. Not a chain!

Love this trail. It is beautiful, moderately difficult and has several waterfalls.

Started at the main trailhead went down to view both falls which were impressive. From there we proceeded down to the mouth of the canyon following the creek most of the way. Stopped to visit the entrance to Case Cave and went over to Sittons Cave and poked around in the twilight of the lower entrance. Great trip and very nice hike !!! Plan to return in April to get permit for Case Cave and do the hike again!!

Great trail! Trail highlights (water falls and river/creek) are early on the trail if you start from the Cloudland Canyon trail head. We went November 12th, 2017 and caught the tail end of the fall colors. The closer you get to the Trenton the further you get away from the river . At this point you will be about 0.5 miles from Trenton. We saw warnings of bat shit syndrome in “caves” at the Trenton trailhead. We did not see full blown caves so the peeps in trenton may be bat shit crazy!

Great trail

We did this in April of 2016. A small hike down to the falls, be prepared for the elevation change. Great view of the falls. We had a lot of people traffic. A lot of people going off trail to get closer. Clearly marked and maintained.

Beautiful trail, went during last autumn. Great sites of the river and waterfalls.

Great work out!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Gorgeous views

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

We really enjoyed this trail. If you park in the Sitton's Gulch parking lot, you will go up hill all the way in and do the stairs first. Continue on to the waterfall trail which has cool swimming holes and beautiful falls. On your way back it's all down hill and a nice quick trip back to your car.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Well maintained and scenic trail. Lovely sounds of the creek for most of the hike. My 5 and 6 year old daughters enjoy the trip! You can bypass the stairs by parking in Trenton at the Cloudland Canyon parking lot and hiking up the trial to the waterfall and back.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A lot of stairs to climb, tough on out of shape people haha, but other than that it was so beautiful!! Loved it!!

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Favorite trail!!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Steps are a bear but worth the hike just to see the falls

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Love this trail. It is absolutely beautiful. best trail in the area, it has some hills but they are not too long and then it flattens out to give you a break before you hit another hill.

Monday, December 19, 2016

On the days you want to be outside, it is CROWDED. I've been there twice and there are way too many people there, but who can blame them? Beautiful views and amazing waterfalls. Worth going to, but its more of a tourist adventure rather than a hike.