Sitton's Gulch Trail

Sitton's Gulch Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Trenton, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We added this hike to our days mileage after hiking down the 600 stairs to Hemlock Falls from Cloudland Canyon State Park. We hiked about half way on this trail to grab a few geocaches that were hidden along the way. We took many pictures and were in awe of the many incredibly beautiful views of the creeks, the waterfalls and the canyon walls. We definetly got a great lung burning, butt burning workout on the return. ♡♡♡

wonderful cold weather hike. snow and ice galore

Sutton’s Gulch is a hidden gem in Cloudland Canyon. Begins in a Trenton neighborhood and finishes as Hemlock Falls in the middle of the park. Our family favorite

I hiked this with my 30-something daughter today. Do the math. If I can do it, you can do it. Just a few side notes. We stayed at a yurt. The yurts are charming and back up to the Rim Trail. BUT, despite a space heater, you will not be warm once it goes down to about 30 degrees. We brought 15 degree bags. It is easier to heat up a tent with body heat than a yurt. I have tent camped here in January and was warmer in a tent than in a yurt. Also, the wood that the park sold us was green. Seriously, it will not burn. It will char and smoke. Forage for your own downed wood. Now to the trail.

Do the Waterfalls Trail. It is short but has a couple of seriously slippery spots. Don't do this in tennis shoes. Just get yourself some hiking boots. This trail is short. Next do Sitton's Gulch.

After the 600 metal-grated and stone steps, you have about a half hour of rolling trail- constant ups and downs with little flat. It is easy-peasy going downhill. After a half hour, you hit very easy flat land. It ends at a parking lot with two buildings. Don't get excited. These aren't bathrooms, just changing rooms.

Turn around and go back about 2.5 miles. Yes, it is fairly strenuous going back up hill, but there are plenty of places to stop and catch your breath. After about 30 minutes, you hit a small water crossing where you can pick your way across rocks even when the water is flowing. 10 minutes later, you are at the metal and stone stairs. It is arduous, but even I made it back to the trailhead in about 15 minutes.

Bottom Line: Very well marked and maintained trails. Beautiful waterfalls and overlooks.

Note: The Bear Creek Backcountry Trail is closed until the park settles some contract issues with private landowners.

Food alert: I have always stopped at fast food places post hike, but discovered a much better place to eat, the Artzy Café. It is minutes outside of the park. Great food and atmosphere. Not a chain!

Love this trail. It is beautiful, moderately difficult and has several waterfalls.

Started at the main trailhead went down to view both falls which were impressive. From there we proceeded down to the mouth of the canyon following the creek most of the way. Stopped to visit the entrance to Case Cave and went over to Sittons Cave and poked around in the twilight of the lower entrance. Great trip and very nice hike !!! Plan to return in April to get permit for Case Cave and do the hike again!!

Great trail! Trail highlights (water falls and river/creek) are early on the trail if you start from the Cloudland Canyon trail head. We went November 12th, 2017 and caught the tail end of the fall colors. The closer you get to the Trenton the further you get away from the river . At this point you will be about 0.5 miles from Trenton. We saw warnings of bat shit syndrome in “caves” at the Trenton trailhead. We did not see full blown caves so the peeps in trenton may be bat shit crazy!

Great trail

We did this in April of 2016. A small hike down to the falls, be prepared for the elevation change. Great view of the falls. We had a lot of people traffic. A lot of people going off trail to get closer. Clearly marked and maintained.

Beautiful trail, went during last autumn. Great sites of the river and waterfalls.

Great work out!

Gorgeous views

We really enjoyed this trail. If you park in the Sitton's Gulch parking lot, you will go up hill all the way in and do the stairs first. Continue on to the waterfall trail which has cool swimming holes and beautiful falls. On your way back it's all down hill and a nice quick trip back to your car.

Well maintained and scenic trail. Lovely sounds of the creek for most of the hike. My 5 and 6 year old daughters enjoy the trip! You can bypass the stairs by parking in Trenton at the Cloudland Canyon parking lot and hiking up the trial to the waterfall and back.

A lot of stairs to climb, tough on out of shape people haha, but other than that it was so beautiful!! Loved it!!

Favorite trail!!

Steps are a bear but worth the hike just to see the falls

Love this trail. It is absolutely beautiful. best trail in the area, it has some hills but they are not too long and then it flattens out to give you a break before you hit another hill.

Monday, December 19, 2016

On the days you want to be outside, it is CROWDED. I've been there twice and there are way too many people there, but who can blame them? Beautiful views and amazing waterfalls. Worth going to, but its more of a tourist adventure rather than a hike.

Thursday, December 01, 2016

There was no water when I went and the fall colors weren't doing that great with the drought, guess I'll have to go back! Came from the Park, so did half the West Rim Loop after. Just went down to the "falls" and explored that area for a while. Don't think I finished this trail either since there was no water....The park charges like $5 to get in and park I think. Coming down all those stairs was hard on the knees, but going up was very strenuous. There are lots of benches to stop and rest on the way up, which I took advantage of. Definitely took my time. I already plan to go back when there is more water so I would gladly do it again! Tons of steps and all!