Silver Comet Trail

Silver Comet Trail is a 61.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Smyrna, Georgia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 61.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,273 feet Route Type: Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

rails trails

Venture through a tunnel & over three trestles on your magical rail-trail journey from Atlanta, GA to the Alabama border This trail has it all. At over 60 miles in length, you'll have logged 120 miles round trip, so make plans to stay in either Rockmart or Cedartown because that's a lot of trail for one day. You will enjoy crossing breath-taking trestles, tunneling under mountains, photographing unique birdhouses, visiting small-town Georgia, and meeting lots of smiling people along the way. This trail is truly a southern charmer you'll remember for a lifetime.

The Silver Comet, combined with the Chief Ladiga Trail which it connects to in Alabama, (SC/CL) are a superb choice for bicyclists looking to do a safe, scenic, and (generally) smooth multiday ride. The combined SC/CL stretches 94 miles from the northeast Atlanta suburbs across northwest Georgia and northeast Alabama to the outskirts of Anniston. My wife and I biked the SC/CL in both directions for a total of 190+ miles over 3 1/2 days in late May 2019. Our daily mileages were 57, 57, 62, and 24. Lodging is quite limited along the SC/CL, which means that the number of multiday itinerary options is also quite limited. I’ll detail how we did it below. The SC/CL Trail website has an excellent interactive mileage planner that allows you to play with options that might work for you. The Silver Comet (Georgia) and Chief Ladiga (Alabama) are technically two trails, and there are differences in the character and quality of the two, which I’ll discuss later. But the two trails seamlessly join at the Georgia and Alabama line, and, so, for the purposes of our ride, they were essentially one trail. The Silver Comet between Piedmont and Atlanta was our favorite section of the SC/CL. Most of it is under a shady canopy of trees, a fact that we really appreciated given that we rode during a late May heatwave. The sections east of Rockmart toward Atlanta are especially heavily shaded. Steep rock bluffs rise up on each side along many sections of the trail adding to the cool, shade. The sunniest, most open sections tend to be between Rockmart westward to the state line. The Silver Comet is generally very smooth concrete or asphalt with very few “root bumps,” a marked contrast to several sections of the Chief Ladiga on the Alabama side. Fortunately, along several of the bumpiest sections of the Chief Ladiga, someone has highlighted the worst bumps with spray paint. Still, it pays to be alert on the Chief Ladiga. Overall, like most rails-to-trails, the SC/CL is pretty flat with inclines tending to be spread slowly over relatively long distances. However, east of Piedmont is a very notable exception. Lacking a rail bed in this area, the Silver Comet developers built the trail on the slope of a hill that has become known variously as Mount Trashmore, Surprise Hill, and Trash Hill. Using my lowest gear, and unclipping just in case I came to an unavoidable standstill, I was able to stay on my bike the entire climb up Mount Trashmore, but my speed was about as low as it could be without me falling off. On the Chief Ladiga from the state line to Piedmont, if you’re only looking straight ahead you might think that you were in the flatlands. But, look to either side, and you’ll see you’re in a very hilly part of Alabama. Generally, drivers at intersections along the SC/CL were quite courteous, often stopping to allow us to cross. The exception was in Piedmont, Alabama. Motorists sped through the trail crossings with nary a look to either side. One problem is that we didn’t see any signs on Piedmont streets cautioning motorists that they’re about to cross a bike trail. As for the number of other cyclists on the SC/CL, we considered the bike traffic light. I’m sure this is at least partially due to the fact that we rode Tuesday—Friday. We encountered the fewest riders on the Chief Ladiga Trail between Piedmont and the state line. Not surprisingly, the number of cyclists was highest from Hiram, GA eastward toward Atlanta. The details of the itinerary provide some helpful context, especially for those who might want to do this ride themselves. When we were planning our trip we would have loved to have seen the nuts and bolts of how someone actually managed to ride the entire route, in both directions. So, here’s the nitty gritty of our itinerary: Day 1: 54 miles [drive from Rome, GA to Cedartown] Cedartown Depot (SC MM 51.3) Park car. Bike EAST to Mavell Road Trailhead (SC MM 0) to Silver Comet Connector (approx. 1 mile) to Silver Comet Cumberland Connector (approx. 2 miles) to the La Quinta Hotel, Vinings, GA FOR THE NIGHT. Day 2: 54 miles Reverse of Day 1, then drive from Cedartown to Rome, GA for the night Day 3: 62 miles [drive from Rome, GA to Cedartown] Cedartown Depot (SC MM 51.3). Park car. Bike WEST to State Line (SC MM 61.5 = CL MM 0) to End of CL at Woodland Park/Anniston (CL MM 32.5), then TURN AROUND & HEAD EAST to Piedmont (CL MM 13.6), AirBnB FOR THE NIGHT. Day 4: 24 miles Piedmont (CL MM 13.6) bike EAST to Cedartown Depot (SC MM 51.3). End Ride. One of the keys for us being able to ride the entire SC/CL was being able to park our vehicle overnight, twice, at the Cedartown Depot. We felt reassured about the safety of doing so when we saw a sign in the parking lot stating that the area is monitored by surveillance cameras. Notice that we spent the nights before our two Cedartown starts, not in Cedartown, but in Rome, Georgia, about a 30 minute drive north of Cedartown. We decided to stay in Rome rather than Cedartown because Rome has more lodging and restaurant options. However, Cedartown certainly has a couple of motels and a number of restaurants for those who would rather stay there. If you need a little mechanical help along the way, try Cycology Bike Shop in Hiram, Georgia. It’s an easy half mile north of the SC Trail. Just turn north at the trailhead with the caboose. The staff at Cycology was thorough, courteous, and helpful. Fortunately, my issue turned out to be very minor, We started each morning with three large bottles of water in our bikes’ water bottle cages. By refilling them at every opportunity, we never ran low on water, even though with temperatures mostly in the 80s and 90s we drank a lot of water. We did supplement our water by stopping at a Chick-Fil-A near the Paulding trailhead for diet lemonades and a Citgo gas station on Coots Lake Road just south of the Coots Lake Beach (SC MM 33.5) for a Gatorade. The longest stretches without water fountains (although there are some bathrooms in between) are Smyrna—Powder Springs, 11.5 miles Dallas—Rockmart, 15 miles Rockmart—Cedartown, 14 miles Cedartown—Piedmont, 24 miles Again, the mileage chart on the bikesilvercomet.com website is a good source of information for what’s along the way. Make no mistake, much of the SC/CL is remote. Weather wasn’t an issue, but it was definitely hotter than normal for late May, and that undoubtedly made the ride more fatiguing than if the temperatures had been closer to the averages. Anyone who’s spent any time in the Deep South in summer knows that the effects of heat can go from discomfort to dangerous real quick. Stay hydrated. I highly recommend the Silver Comet / Chief Ladiga to folks looking to do a multiday ride. It’s a gem.

Great path. Lots of cyclist.

Great trail. It is paved and flat.

Great trail to walk, bike or run on. I love, love this trail.

best place to get some good cycling in without worrying about cars

Monday, July 23, 2018

Beautiful scenery along the paved trail. I went on a Sunday evening with my dog and the trail had people on it every now and then. Types of people on the trail: bikers, leisure walkers, fast pace walkers, runners. Would be a great place to take a relaxed stroll with a friend or ride your bike without having to worry about traffic.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

love this trail for long runs when I'm in town. friendly runner and cyclist all along.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Great morning ride. Low humidity. Lots of shade. Not too crowded once you’re away from Smyrna about 9 miles. Then a superb lunch at Mccrays Tavern

Monday, May 07, 2018

Beautiful paved path that is nicely shaded on a hot day. Very easy to navigate with plenty of space for everyone on the trail. Easy to do five miles without realizing it!

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Hey man it’s the Silver Comet Trail. What a great place to ride in the shade.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Nice paved walk. Alot of bikes on this trail. Take my dog for walks on this trail but don't get much of a friendly response from the bikers. Been told by many of them no dog should be allowed.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

go to for long distance runs

Monday, October 16, 2017

Clean and beautiful. Will be back.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Very disappointed. My 12 year old son and I drove 1:15 each way to get to the Trail head and only had time to bike a couple of miles. I wasn't expecting to have to cross 4 lane roads and ride along with the traffic in the heavily populated area. It was not very safe. Where is the best place to get on so you see scenery instead of dirty city streets while fearing you will be run over by cars?

Thursday, September 07, 2017

ughhh

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Amazing trail

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Great! I ride from Rambo trailhead to Alabama border line and back with minimal stop signs or traffic lights.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Monday, May 29, 2017

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

One of Georgia's treasures. Not sure why it's moderate. Very flat.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Live locally. Great easy trail for workouts and bike rides.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

I love to bike this trail with my daughter. We normally ride 8 miles. It's a great workout.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

would be my regular workout if I lived closer

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Smooth/flat trails, great for fast biking!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A nice Rails to Trails path, wide and made of concrete. In the Rockmart area the trail diverts from the rail bed and snaked through the town along the river and some industrial area where it is hilly but not impossible steep. Much of the trail is shaded and if you go east far enough enjoy the coolness of the tunnel.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Love it been going for years

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Rails to Trails project that is great for the biker. Concrete the entire way and no greater than a five degree grade, is perfect for biking. Well maintained and heavier traffic as one gets closer to Atlanta, it is connected to the Chief Ladiga trail that continues into Alabama for another 30 mile.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Great walking trail. I'm biased this is where my wife and I got married.

Monday, May 09, 2016